Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Interesting Direction from CovObserv  (Read 960 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Direction from CovObserv
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 01:07:48 PM »
As a matter of interest does Cov have a women's team/s?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 01:09:57 PM »
Has there been some sort of funding to encourage rugby clubs to set up girl teams / involvement?

I know our village soccer club got some money 3 years ago to set up a women’s team, not sure if it was FA or govt money . Wonder if same has been happening in rugby as I’ve noticed adverts from a couple of local clubs

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 01:15:13 PM »
As a matter of interest does Cov have a women's team/s?

Don't know this but I do know Wasps want the women's team to be Coventry based within 5 years.  The Henley Centre has plans for such an expansion outlined. Perhaps this is a way of gauging interest in potential future players.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 04:55:34 PM »
My daughter went to the previous free girls one in October half term which was excellent and significantly oversubscribed, she won't be at this one as she is already booked in Wasps Netball one for this half term.

Women's rugby in Coventry and surrounding area runs at a few local clubs, Old Leams were one of the early pioneers around the top flight (My wife played there for a while), Cov Welsh and Kenilworth have women's teams. There is a thriving women's touch rugby circuit around the Midlands area too. The main girls set up is at Barkers Butts (where my daughter now plays) who have very good numbers at u13 u15 and u18 and were u15 national champions pre covid, they have just set up a women's team to provide a pathway for them.

Meg Varley who is mentioned in the article is an excellent role model, plays for Worcester Women / England u20s and works for Wasps Community, came through Old Covents minis where my daughter first met her and has followed her career since.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 04:59:21 PM »
My daughter went to the previous free girls one in October half term which was excellent and significantly oversubscribed, she won't be at this one as she is already booked in Wasps Netball one for this half term.

Women's rugby in Coventry and surrounding area runs at a few local clubs, Old Leams were one of the early pioneers around the top flight (My wife played there for a while), Cov Welsh and Kenilworth have women's teams. There is a thriving women's touch rugby circuit around the Midlands area too. The main girls set up is at Barkers Butts (where my daughter now plays) who have very good numbers at u13 u15 and u18 and were u15 national champions pre covid, they have just set up a women's team to provide a pathway for them.

Meg Varley who is mentioned in the article is an excellent role model, plays for Worcester Women / England u20s and works for Wasps Community, came through Old Covents minis where my daughter first met her and has followed her career since.

Excellent update - thanks.