Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Post match thoughts  (Read 4554 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Post match thoughts
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 09:44:45 PM »
Agree Neils - it was bitter up there today. Let’s be honest we were poor. Our basics were not there and we made really hard work of it. Our kicking was very bad. Thank the lord they had a red and yellow. But hey, it’s a five point win and we’re due some good luck so I’ll take it. Stand outs for me were Stooke and Bassett. I don’t think it would have been such a struggle with Shields on the field - his value to us is huge.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 12:46:45 AM »
I’m yet to see the full game but give me winning ugly over gallant losers anytime. I think it’s a step in the right direction when you can grind out some sort of win when you’re not firing on all cylinders. Too often last year we came out on the wrong side of results even when the opposition were one or two men short.

We seemed to have lost that softness and lack of guile we had last year when confronted with similar situations. I listened on the radio and it sounded like Robson, Miller, Gopperth and even Launch didn’t have great games, but the likes of Barbeary, Stoke and Odogwu carried us through. Sounded like Mills was superb and had a hand in our late tries which is excellent news.

It’s the kind of situation we would have lost last season, and therefore an improvement and further proof that we are genuinely competitive again.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2022, 01:35:05 AM »
I agree with some posts on here and the match thread the replacement 9 has successfully brought a lot of tempo when they have come on, be it Porter or Wolstenholme. Robson started well with his kicking but Porter should have been trusted to replace him in the early 60 mins as we were looking flat and needed a change of ideas at the back.
Fortunately the extra space on the pitch allowed us to get some space of the blindside to make a lot of metres with Josh on a break in the build up to the overlap to Odogwu that on the following side for his first try.

Mills was definitely a calming influence on his return, even for Jimmy. He will be a great help for Charlie and Jacob as well as the young 9s.
Two assists from him too as well as lots of discussion and leadership in the backs.
As we have all said and as we all know, if he is fit he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet and a must keep, but on the other hand…. Negotiations must be done already so we will see what happens

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 07:30:02 AM »
Don’t think anybody has questioned Mill’s quality just his ability to stay fit so what he produced when he came on is no surprise. As for him staying or leaving I believe that decision was made a while ago. With the salary cap as it is who would use any of it on a player with his injury record, the days of taking a chance on players are over, we on the other hand already have him so it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s been offered a one year contract with a option for a second probably at a lower salary. For us it’s the cheaper option for him the chance to prove himself. For me the deals done and signed we just haven’t been told

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 08:52:10 AM »
Don’t think anybody has questioned Mill’s quality just his ability to stay fit so what he produced when he came on is no surprise. As for him staying or leaving I believe that decision was made a while ago. With the salary cap as it is who would use any of it on a player with his injury record, the days of taking a chance on players are over, we on the other hand already have him so it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s been offered a one year contract with a option for a second probably at a lower salary. For us it’s the cheaper option for him the chance to prove himself. For me the deals done and signed we just haven’t been told

+1

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2022, 11:34:16 AM »
Not sure I'd agree with NWW's MOTM. For me, it was between Atkinson (despite his sometimes wayward kicking) and Barbeary.  Both were very busy throughout and yet again Charlie belies his size by having Nathan down three times. I agree that Stooke's got an enormous engine but outdone by those two on this occasion.
Stooke for Player of the Season? Or Shields?

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2022, 11:53:00 AM »
I thought Stooke was great throughout the game. Can't work out why he was frozen out at Bath in favour of McNally, who offers very little. Their loss is definitely our gain.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 11:53:08 AM »
Not sure I'd agree with NWW's MOTM.

Just as well I didn't nominate one then? I would have been hard pushed to pick between Alfie, Elliott, Charlie or Paolo. All four were all over the pitch looking for work.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »
Just watched the game in full and yes we were not great. Dan was kicking way to much for my liking, not sure if that was a coaching decision or not but it wasn’t a good idea.

Rob miller was very poor, I’m sorry but I don’t think we’ll see him play much more this season, especially with Jacob now available.

Ryan Mills had some brilliant touches, really hope to see more of him. Paulo was strong with his two trys. Alfie wasn’t at his best but was still very good. Launchbury was definitely having an off day, maybe being away with England didn’t help. Stooke was again fantastic, what a player he has been for us.

Really do hope Brad isn’t too bad I couldn’t really tell. Again Tom West was awesome I really do like him.

Charlie played well but I just struggle with his game management, which I’m sure will get better.

Overall we didn’t play well and got lucky but we won and got 5 points. Next week we will have to improve which I hope we will.

Whilst watching the game the commentator mentioned that both the Willis brothers will be coming back soon. Not heard anything so no idea, just watch Jack warming up pre match, which must mean he can’t be to far away

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2022, 04:11:13 PM »
Something |I commented on at the time, and just remebered.

Before the match, as the teams run out they tried the "smoke curtain" in the tunnel for the players to emerge from. At the same time the big screen was showing "This is a smoke free stadium"

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2022, 04:27:30 PM »
Is that what the puff of smoke was? Wondered at the time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 05:30:57 PM »
Similar to when the screen was showing respect the kicker and jimmy was starting his run up, the announcer saw it as a good time to make substitution announcements over the tannoy.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 06:49:44 PM »
Having watched the full match, I agree that Dan was off his game, and Miller was indeed, poor. The backs as a whole were imprecise, but the forwards were generally sound. Odogwu was excellent, but I notice that most weeks opposition wingers/fullbacks look better than ours as a unit. 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 07:03:40 PM »
Having watched the full match, I agree that Dan was off his game, and Miller was indeed, poor. The backs as a whole were imprecise, but the forwards were generally sound. Odogwu was excellent, but I notice that most weeks opposition wingers/fullbacks look better than ours as a unit.

Jacob will be back from suspension for next weekend's game. I wonder if Lee will try him at FB again? Will Ali Crossdale be fit?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2022, 08:42:35 PM »
How much game time has Rob Miller had since his injury? And how much this season?

You need fringe players to stand up when called upon.
But they're bound to be rusty if they never getting on the pitch.

I wouldn't want to discount him yet... The same way I wouldn't discount Joe for having an off game.
If he does get another game or 2 and continues in the same vein, then fair enough