Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jack Willis Back - teams up  (Read 3245 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Willis Back - teams up
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2022, 03:47:11 PM »
Nice surprise, I thought he was still some way off returning.

What would be an appropriate collective noun for Willises?

Destructors
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2022, 04:19:28 PM »
Who will take the kicks ? Jacob or Charlie?

That'll be something very interesting to learn from this game.

If the wind is still blowing, the kicking probably won't be great, but whoever takes the first place kick will presumably be our No.1 after Jimmy

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2022, 04:49:19 PM »
I'd have a competition in training the week before, maybe Thursday. Ten kicks from various difficult positions across the field with a sudden death play off. Whoever wins it gets to be 1st choice kicker in the game.

And let anyone else who fancies being 1st choice kicker join in.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2022, 04:59:32 PM »
That's only required if Lee is undecided who is number 1 kicker is.

He may know already

Jac A

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2022, 05:05:16 PM »
Surprised but very happy with the team.

Had a look back to the game against Quins in November. They have a very similar back line; only changes being Huw Jones and Oscar Beard (instead of Northmore and David). Ours is radically different though - Porter was at 9, Booj and McHenry in the centres etc.

Quins did not kick much at all last game - 302m all game and 302m of these were from scrum-half so mostly box-kicks. Neither Edwards nor Esterhuizen kicked at all. By contrast we kicked 562m (278m from 9). We also gave away 15 penalties (they didn't kick any of these either and Esterhuizen took the conversions). Our discipline has really tightened up, 9 pens last week and 7 the week before. I think any kicking game is going to be interesting but we seem to have a lot more options in that facet.

Looking at the pack, scrum should be fun, Marler and Collier up with the best in the league but I'll back West and Alo to give as good as they get. I think this was the game that Zac Nearchou struggled in last time and that gave Quins some easy outs. Nice symmetry in the back row with a us both going for a big 6 more used to the second row and two back rows on the bench coming back after not much game time (bit of an understatement in Jack's case).

Looking forward to tomorrow and hoping I get away form work early to be able to watch.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2022, 05:12:22 PM »
Disappointed to see Marler back for them, but those are the breaks, they have lost good players retained by England too.
Not hugely optimistic,  but not too pessimistic either.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2022, 05:47:34 PM »
That's only required if Lee is undecided who is number 1 kicker is.

He may know already

Well if we get a penalty in our own half around the 60 - 65 yard mark, then Mills may hv a go. He’s got a big boot on him, like Daly.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2022, 06:17:54 PM »
In this wind, I'd back myself from 65m

hopwood

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2022, 06:56:25 PM »
In this wind, I'd back myself from 65m

….in the first half!  ;D

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2022, 07:13:50 PM »
Disappointed to see Marler back for them, but those are the breaks, they have lost good players retained by England too.
I think this game is going to be huge for Biyi Alo. I've been very impressed with him recently. His work round the pitch and tackling have really come on as well as his scrummaging.

I'm hoping his form is a result of the work done by Wasps fitness and coaching teams and not having to put himself in the shop window. If he's playing for a new Wasps contract he definitely deserves it.

In fact he may be putting himself in the shop window for international honours if he performs well against Marler and continues to progress, given the lack of decent English tightheads.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2022, 07:58:38 PM »
Thought when Jack was warming up last week we may see him sooner rather than later. Thrilled for him, Fifita and Willis x 2 could easily make a claim for the most athletic back row in Europe.

With regards to Alo, he rarely rampages through a scrum like Sheridan or Cole but he has an invaluable ability to never go backwards. I think his sheer size also discourages officials from pinging him, you have to do some mental gymnastics to think a man like that needs to bend the rules at scrum time.

With CMK and the weather I can't see tomorrows game flowing, a lot of pressure will be on Jacob at 15. If he comes through well, we have a chance.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2022, 08:58:54 PM »
Alo- most improved player at Wasps in the last two years?
Seems to be a lot,lot fitter.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2022, 09:21:47 PM »
I'd have a competition in training the week before, maybe Thursday. Ten kicks from various difficult positions across the field with a sudden death play off. Whoever wins it gets to be 1st choice kicker in the game.

And let anyone else who fancies being 1st choice kicker join in.

Last time Wasps did this we ended up with a Hooker (playing in the back row) kicking...

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2022, 08:30:23 AM »
I think this game is going to be huge for Biyi Alo. I've been very impressed with him recently. His work round the pitch and tackling have really come on as well as his scrummaging.

I'm hoping his form is a result of the work done by Wasps fitness and coaching teams and not having to put himself in the shop window. If he's playing for a new Wasps contract he definitely deserves it.

In fact he may be putting himself in the shop window for international honours if he performs well against Marler and continues to progress, given the lack of decent English tightheads.
Even I’ve started to ponder thoughts of Alo being looked at with Eng, and I wasn’t happy with his signing. The change in him has been extraordinary.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2022, 08:46:47 AM »
... With CMK and the weather I can't see tomorrows game flowing ...

Had to double take and check my calendar. If our team turns up tomorrow, we will have lost already.