Always a Wasp

Author Topic: T'other games this weekend wi t'spoilers  (Read 2702 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
T'other games this weekend wi t'spoilers
« on: February 18, 2022, 08:19:43 PM »
Nice touch at Worcester in memory of Jack Jeffrey. Personally I prefer a minute's silence but accept I'm an old fuddy duddy and a minute's clap is the modern way.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: T'other games this weekend wi t'spoilers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 08:29:04 PM »
Nice touch at Worcester in memory of Jack Jeffrey. Personally I prefer a minute's silence but accept I'm an old fuddy duddy and a minute's clap is the modern way.

That was one of the most moving and toughest watches with the family and team there, so close to home for all of us grassroots players.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 09:14:37 PM »
Respect to Worcester for commemorating the lad from Evesham. I concur with the modern way of celebrating the deceased's life on this planet rather than mourn their loss on a occasion like this.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 09:21:01 PM »
Respect to Worcester for commemorating the lad from Evesham. I concur with the modern way of celebrating the deceased's life on this planet rather than mourn their loss on a occasion like this.
The point about a minute's silence is that it gives you chance to reflect on their life. I can't do that if I'm clapping, but as I say that's me.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 10:36:39 PM »
Wuss 19 - Bris 14. Well played Worcester.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hopwood

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 10:54:32 PM »
Amazing how both Exeter and Bristol have wobbled this season.

I thought they had quite solid foundations and good coaching set-ups.
But it looks like every other team has raised their game.

It's the most competitive League I can think of.
Great for the spectator.

califauna

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 12:21:51 AM »
Anyone know the cause of death?  Been withheld to date. In good faith I would say there's always a possibility they are trying to protect the identity of the player who made the 'tackle', but really it strikes me as very suspicious. Could be some kind of trauma (neck/head or similar) the club and RFU don't want making it's way into the papers.

Strong opinion this maybe, but notwithstanding the fact that this is a freak incident World Rugby and Unions have blood on their hands for deaths and many injuries of this kind (resulting from trauma) in my view. Not because I think rugby should be a risk-free sport - I don't think it can be - rather because so much injury and trauma is the result of the explosion in player size and physicality in recent decades and World Rugby has done virtually nothing to combat this trend, and the fact that it refuses even to take the low hanging fruit that's there (reducing substitutions, speed up game by addressing time-wasting, applying five-second rule, other steps to increase ball-in-play time etc.).  Whole lot of empty talk about player welfare seems to me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 12:27:03 AM by califauna »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 07:44:40 AM »
Anyone know the cause of death?  Been withheld to date. In good faith I would say there's always a possibility they are trying to protect the identity of the player who made the 'tackle', but really it strikes me as very suspicious. Could be some kind of trauma (neck/head or similar) the club and RFU don't want making it's way into the papers.

Strong opinion this maybe, but notwithstanding the fact that this is a freak incident World Rugby and Unions have blood on their hands for deaths and many injuries of this kind (resulting from trauma) in my view. Not because I think rugby should be a risk-free sport - I don't think it can be - rather because so much injury and trauma is the result of the explosion in player size and physicality in recent decades and World Rugby has done virtually nothing to combat this trend, and the fact that it refuses even to take the low hanging fruit that's there (reducing substitutions, speed up game by addressing time-wasting, applying five-second rule, other steps to increase ball-in-play time etc.).  Whole lot of empty talk about player welfare seems to me.

Reported as Spleen. Tackled and didn't get up.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 07:48:51 AM »
I also read somewhere that it was a ruptured spleen.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 08:27:49 AM »

I do recall that, maybe 2-3 years ago I speculated that the least safe aspect of our game was the punishment tackle that a diving player suffers as they touch down for a try. It is NEVER punished. Regularly you see the 'tackler' going knees first in to a player's back, or attempt to rip their head off, when the try was already done and dusted. For me, such tackles, needless, needlessly violent, should convert the already scored try to a penalty try and be accompanied by a red card. I have little doubt this was just the outcome I predicted at the time (that someone will get killed), only after which the RFU will wring its hands and then take 5 years to decide to 'do something'. It is the reason that American Football changed a touchdown to simply getting over the line with the ball, because they were having this exact same problem, what, maybe 100 years ago?

Was this the case in this tragic case? According to a friend who was there, yes. I suspect mobile phone and other footage will eventually emerge, but I am not sure that it would be the right thing to release, as his family have suffered enough already. However, there will have to be an inquest, and I guess a fuller story will emerge then.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 09:04:15 AM »

I do recall that, maybe 2-3 years ago I speculated that the least safe aspect of our game was the punishment tackle that a diving player suffers as they touch down for a try. It is NEVER punished. Regularly you see the 'tackler' going knees first in to a player's back, or attempt to rip their head off, when the try was already done and dusted. For me, such tackles, needless, needlessly violent, should convert the already scored try to a penalty try and be accompanied by a red card. I have little doubt this was just the outcome I predicted at the time (that someone will get killed), only after which the RFU will wring its hands and then take 5 years to decide to 'do something'. It is the reason that American Football changed a touchdown to simply getting over the line with the ball, because they were having this exact same problem, what, maybe 100 years ago?

Was this the case in this tragic case? According to a friend who was there, yes. I suspect mobile phone and other footage will eventually emerge, but I am not sure that it would be the right thing to release, as his family have suffered enough already. However, there will have to be an inquest, and I guess a fuller story will emerge then.

Have to agree with you about the last  0.05 second desperation illegal tackle, which gets ignored because a try has been scored .

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 09:13:51 AM »
Completely agree about the tackle after the score - they make me wince and as you say, are never looked at. As for the game I have no idea what Bristols coaches are doing. Miracle offloads, running from their own 22, optional tackling. To be frank they looked a shambles and handed a win to a pretty average Wuss side.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »

Reported as Spleen. Tackled and didn't get up.

I understand he was tackled as he went over for a try. He went off in pain and sat on the touch line for a while but quickly deteriorated.

hopwood

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 12:37:29 PM »
Until we have all the facts, I think it’s unfair to accuse someone of an illegal, late tackle.

He could quite easily have been tackled as he was scoring the try.
There’s going to be a player or two on the opposition side who I imagine are quite heavily traumatised.
And I don’t think we should make matters worse before we have all the information.

Let’s just focus our heartfelt energy on his family.
And leave the investigation for later.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2022, 12:44:02 PM »
Agree with Hopwood about speculation but think it is worth showing there is no ill feeling from Evesham on the link below, I also know the referee on the day, a broken man despite no blame.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4942547625824900&id=254683154611394&m_entstream_source=timeline&__tn__=%2As%2As-R