Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team for Exeter and game  (Read 2266 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Team for Exeter and game
« on: September 07, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
Got a bit twitchy in expectation so started this thread a bit early. From Cov Tel article it looks like Dai has made a big call keeping and backing Billy to start, but makes sense, he will be quicker and better this week, Lima will be jet lagged and not up to speed. Rob needs to set his stall, make the catches and tackles then pick his chances. If Dan, Billy and Rob nail it and if the forwards can keep organised then we will give Chiefs a game.

There is no disgrace getting beaten by Chiefs, but let's hope Wasps can take the game to them, take a few risks and add a win to our reasonable win /loss home record against them at Ricoh. How I'd love to see Wasps stop the Exeter love in for one day at least!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:24:14 AM by Brandnewtorugby »

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Team for Exeter and game
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
From Wasps web site;

15 Elliot Daly

14 Christian Wade

13 Juan De Jongh

12 Gaby Lovobalavu

11 Josh Bassett

10 Billy Searle

9 Dan Robson

1 Ben Harris

2 Tommy Taylor

3 Kieran Brookes

4 Joe Launchbury (c)

5 Will Rowlands

6 Brad Shields

7 Joe Atkinson

8 Nathan Hughes

Replacements

16 Tom Cruse

17 Zurabi Zhvania

18 Will Stuart

19 James Gaskell

20 Ashley Johnson

21 Joe Simpson

22 Lima Sopoaga

23 Rob Miller

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:38:36 PM »
More substantial centre pairing in the hope to stop some of the chiefs power, and JdJ at 13 to help guide our defence and take the tricky ones.

Real potential in that bench too. It's saddening, but Simpson is the least exciting there for me, whereas a few seasons back he'd be a gamechanger.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 05:34:36 PM »
Yep, every time Joe Simpson comes on I am routing for him to dart and dazzle. Really hope Miller doesn't go the same way. These are both great players that I would love to see going well.

Also, what of Ambrose Curtis? Should I not expect to see much of him until next year?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »
Well, we certainly gave Chiefs a game. I suspect a few players will be rueing attempted passes or decisions, but in my opinion Wasps had a good game, but just couldn't quite pull off some of the higher percentage moves. I for one don't want them to stop trying those hard moves occasionally and I am sure as they team settles the number of times they work will increase, the benefits of trying them also keeps the opposing side unsure of what is coming.

I felt Chiefs got away with a few things at crucial times, like the intercepting player being off side but as a Wasps supporter that is to be expected. No doubt when I watch it back it will seem more balanced!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
Got to laugh, from BBC website;
"New Zealand fly-half Lami Sopoaga did come off the bench to make his debut"