Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Post match reflection  (Read 3762 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Post match reflection
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2022, 05:42:42 PM »
A minor criticism of CMK. He got in the way al least a couple of times and should have stopped the game and restarted rather than let the disrupted play continue.

Don't disagree he appeared to get in the way once or twice but I thought CMK was very good today.

Very few contentious and irritating decisions and he did his best to let the game flow. Much improved.

Well done CMK.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2022, 05:49:59 PM »
Jacob is found out at 15 against a set of quality backs.

I did not think Jacob had a bad game, all considered. His tackling is better.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2022, 05:50:45 PM »
Don't disagree he appeared to get in the way once or twice but I thought CMK was very good today.

Very few contentious and irritating decisions and he did his best to let the game flow. Much improved.

Well done CMK.

Agreed, I think he had a balanced, good game.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2022, 06:33:40 PM »

Well done CMK.

Agreed, I think he had a balanced, good game.

Yes, I thought so too. My moan was only minor.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2022, 07:12:00 PM »
We’ve got a losing BP away at Quins (the Champions) and there’s a bit of gloom about. I don’t get it. We should be targeting top 4 and with the resources at our disposal be disappointed if we don’t get there. If our back division can stay injury free and get time together our pack will get them enough ball to beat most.

Twickwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2022, 07:47:18 PM »
Thought backs were really poor today. I’m not sure where the praise of mills is coming from apart from game time.
Some of the tackling in the backs was shocking- beard’s 2nd try.
Really don’t think Atkinson, mills, Spink, umaga works well at all. Surprised jimmy was benched for today.
Atkinson needs to show more on the ball, he just shipped it today.
Robson, had a shocker, which happens.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2022, 08:00:04 PM »

Really don’t think Atkinson, mills, Spink, umaga works well at all. Surprised jimmy was benched for today.

Future planning, letting combinations develop?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2022, 08:07:40 PM »
That combination has played one game together. That’s just not enough time to deliver a verdict.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2022, 08:26:15 PM »
Joe Marler was absolutely exceptional. And our scrum suffered. There aren’t too many props as good as him.

I really don't agree with you on Marler's apparent superiority. He's a poseur and is a master of kidology. He cons people particularly officials, none of whom have much of a clue about the scrum.

This is going to sound like sour grapes but I still can't work out why he was playing today.

I believe a line being pushed in the press was "he wanted to help his club out".

That's all well and good but I struggle to believe his desire to help his club was significantly bigger than someone like Launchers. All very odd.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2022, 08:38:41 PM »
Joe Marler was absolutely exceptional. And our scrum suffered. There aren’t too many props as good as him.

I really don't agree with you on Marler's apparent superiority. He's a poseur and is a master of kidology. He cons people particularly officials, none of whom have much of a clue about the scrum.

This is going to sound like sour grapes but I still can't work out why he was playing today.

I believe a line being pushed in the press was "he wanted to help his club out".

That's all well and good but I struggle to believe his desire to help his club was significantly bigger than someone like Launchers. All very odd.

Think that means he was released from camp and could of opted for the week off but wanted to play much like Alfie (and most players in similar situations) did the previous week, don't think there is any conspiracy here.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2022, 08:52:41 PM »

Think that means he was released from camp and could of opted for the week off but wanted to play much like Alfie (and most players in similar situations) did the previous week, don't think there is any conspiracy here.

Not saying there is a conspiracy but why is someone who is regularly in the match day 23 released ahead of others who are in the side?

Just very strange, if this is all part of Eddie's plan to keep Marler in and England shirt fine but he could at least be clear and honest about it.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2022, 09:06:00 PM »
Having got in from game thought I’d read match thread and reflections. Whilst I tend to agree with some of the observations, think you just have accept Quins were better organised and also coped with the conditions. I was actually surprised not more mistakes were made , it had been chucking it down for 3 hours till about 2:30 and the wind was very deceptive with strong blasts in certain areas with almost dead calm in others.

Yes, too many  sillymistakes and penalties all round ,and not getting points in the time we dominated in first half was frustrating , but still to come away with a point from an away game at last seasons champions who are above you in the league is nothing to be sniffed at.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2022, 09:12:58 PM »

Not saying there is a conspiracy but why is someone who is regularly in the match day 23 released ahead of others who are in the side?

Just very strange, if this is all part of Eddie's plan to keep Marler in and England shirt fine but he could at least be clear and honest about it.

He has kept Genge and Rodd as looseheads so presumably they will be involved next week and if not give game time to Marler who has played 30 minutes across the past 2 weeks.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2022, 09:55:40 PM »
We’ve got a losing BP away at Quins (the Champions) and there’s a bit of gloom about. I don’t get it. We should be targeting top 4 and with the resources at our disposal be disappointed if we don’t get there. If our back division can stay injury free and get time together our pack will get them enough ball to beat most.

The facilities, academy and potential of our club is massive...indeed it has to be up there with the best that can be offered in the game. However given these factors are only really now being realised it takes time for the potential to become a reality. There is no doubt though that we have an ever evolving squad that could become a true power again. I actually cannot recall such potential since our 2000s achievements.

However the reason we are not a top 4 team this year is what you have mentioned....time together....injuries over more than 2 seasons have not only stalled, but truly hurt our push for top 4 and silverware. It is cause and effect, and we are not through the effect yet....God willing we will move through it, and if we do and the combinations get those precious commodities of time and experience together we will go from strength to strength...and woe betide the prem and Europe when we do!

Jac A

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2022, 01:05:24 AM »
Reading the various different views on the game on here and elsewhere it's really interesting to see how differently people have viewed and interpreted it.

I'm still pretty positive despite losing. We may be 7th and possibly 8th by the end of the weekend but we are still very much in touch with the play-offs - we are still only 5 points behind Quins in 3rd. We've got a pretty sad and lacklustre Bristol and then a rest week before Saints, Prem Cup and then Newcastle. The three Premiership games are all winnable and would see us climbing back up the table.

On the game, I though Marler was superb, bossed our scrum, didn't miss a tackle, good at the breakdown and clearly a real leader in the Quins teams. As said, our maul didn't work and we were weaker than them at the breakdown for much of the match. In all likelihood we have the next two games without Launch, but when he returns he will help the maul and Jack's return will improve the breakdown - already got his first turnover of the season.

This could well be next season's backline for us and I was quiet pleased with how they went, I'm happy to give a bit of latitude for it
being a new combo, Mills' first start in 18 months or so and Jacob probably worrying about his first tackle. Robson was poor though, I'd still start him next week though, not just as he's class and that will surely out but because Porter seems much better suited to our game plan of injecting pace off the bench and moving to a much more ball-in-hand game.

Injuries are a pain but Harris is so can fill in for Bomber, presumable we keep van Vuuren as cover until Frost is fit/Cruse back and Jack Willis starts in place of Fifita (who had a poor game too). We've still got some great players to come back into the side so I am going to stay optimistic taht whatever happens we will almost certainly finish the season in a far better place than most of us thought we would around Christmas time.