Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Post match reflection  (Read 3764 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Post match reflection
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2022, 03:59:18 AM »
… and Jacob probably worrying about his first tackle. Robson was poor though, I'd still start him next week though, not just as he's class and that will surely out but because Porter seems much better suited to our game plan of injecting pace off the bench and moving to a much more ball-in-hand game.

I thought exactly this about Jacob and his first tackle, the problem was that is first major tackle he should have absolutely smashed Beard into touch when he was going for that first try and I think he held off a little - that try was a shambles and we were asleep with Odogwu not playing on and presenting the ball despite knocking on and then being asleep at the quick tap.

Porter should have come on a lot earlier for Robson last week as well, believe Robson got at least 12 mins too long this week too.
He needs to know that his place isn’t guaranteed to spark him into some form again.

Very mixed reviews on Umaga at FB, I think he did well and if he keeps popping up as he did, Like WLR used to it negates to need for another creative option at 12. Odendaal and Odogwu can play in the centre and both be a threat going forwards with Jacob bringing the creativity.
That said, Spink’s work in defence in the 13 channel is really coming on

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2022, 08:12:56 AM »
Who took over as Captain when Robbo went off?  We were out almost all day and are just catching up now.

Jac A

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2022, 09:37:46 AM »
I thought exactly this about Jacob and his first tackle, the problem was that is first major tackle he should have absolutely smashed Beard into touch when he was going for that first try and I think he held off a little - that try was a shambles and we were asleep with Odogwu not playing on and presenting the ball despite knocking on and then being asleep at the quick tap.

Porter should have come on a lot earlier for Robson last week as well, believe Robson got at least 12 mins too long this week too.
He needs to know that his place isn’t guaranteed to spark him into some form again.

Very mixed reviews on Umaga at FB, I think he did well and if he keeps popping up as he did, Like WLR used to it negates to need for another creative option at 12. Odendaal and Odogwu can play in the centre and both be a threat going forwards with Jacob bringing the creativity.
That said, Spink’s work in defence in the 13 channel is really coming on

Totally agree with that. I think Jacob's tackling improved but he was far too passive on Beard.

I'd give Porter c.30 mins a game at the moment. I think Dan is probably aware of Porter breathing down his neck, he has mentioned about the impact of the bench a few times post match.

I really like Spink, he was a bot overshadowed at under 20s as he was in the same group as Lawrence and Dingwall, then his awful injury record, so the time he's getting in the team and Lee's comments are fantastic. He might not have the big hits of Fekitoa but he doesn't miss many tackles and puts people down effectively.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2022, 09:46:49 AM »
Who took over as Captain when Robbo went off?  We were out almost all day and are just catching up now.

Not sure. They had enough leaders like Stooke, Jimmy, Gaskell and Tom Willis on the pitch though.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2022, 09:53:16 AM »
SfC ... Yes!  My thoughts exactly. Would be happy with any of those, but  decided probably Jamma as first choice.   :)

Twickwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
I had ref link on and it was difficult to work out who was skip after Robson. Not sure Robson’s leadership was that great. First option, there was a lot of decision making dithering, we had scrum or line out and we went scrum, Then Given a free kick- should have tapped and gone and then conceded a pen from scrum.
The backs didn’t hit any fluidity, especially from 1st phase. Once the move ended up being mills being smashed by esterhuizen, when we normally switch inside to Bassett, or put odogwu away.
It obviously didn’t help when your captain is making big errors-kicking out on the full.
CMK dealt with our moaning very well, Oghre is by far the worst culprit and really doesn’t endear himself to refs- pointlessly calling that the ball was out. Ironically he conceded a pen when it wasn’t out and he went to get it.
Quins made few mistakes, but really think we have better options for fb than umaga. Interestingly, he hasn’t been in the team during this time.
Onwards…top 4 was very optimistic, top 8 probably more realistic.
My biggest concern is that we rely on big plays from our gun players, rather than team tries.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2022, 10:33:39 AM »
Have noticed that those games, thankfully few, where Dan starts as captain his game suffers.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2022, 11:09:58 AM »
Have noticed that those games, thankfully few, where Dan starts as captain his game suffers.

Yes, I have noticed that too.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2022, 11:36:32 AM »

Bingo. Reckon he's a player that shouldn't be captain, let him focus on playmaking.

Brad she remain captain. If not him them Launchbury, Tom Willis etc.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2022, 12:03:18 PM »
Absolutely agree (sadly) with all the above comments.  It seems to distract Robbo from his game when he is also Captain. Brad, then Joe and then (for me) Tom who has had plenty of experience captaining the young International teams very successfully.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2022, 12:25:11 PM »
I like a 2nd or back row as a captain.
If I have to have a back then a 12.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2022, 01:11:54 PM »

For me, back row is ideal.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2022, 02:55:01 PM »
Anyone in any position can be captain as long as they have the right personality and game awareness to carry it off and it doesn't detract from their game.

I'd agree that some positions may be easier and many considered 15 too remote but Hogg does ok for Scotland. If the captain needs to be aware of everything and be close to the coalface then there are no other leaders in the team. At a higher level the captain will not be constantly communicating with the team during play. If he thinks he needs to he's not a good captain or the team are truly awful.

I think Dobby and Thomas Young are not the right choices. We haven't won many with them as captain and it does detract from their own game.

I'm sure Lee has a leadership group and it will be interesting to see who emerges from that as a longer term captain. LBND was very young when he first got the job but he had all the tools required of a captain already and became a great captain with experience.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2022, 04:13:54 PM »
We lost to a team in poor form that other teams have put away - including two we beat recently. That should be slightly concerning.

I always thought we'd struggle at the breakdown given the backrow we started. Onwards and upwards, starting at Bristol Friday night. But I very much doubt we'll make Top 6 this season, I just don't think the team is resilient enough in comparison to our rivals and we've thrown away too many points in the weeks leading up to this point.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2022, 05:44:44 PM »
Anyone in any position can be captain as long as they have the right personality and game awareness to carry it off and it doesn't detract from their game.

I'd agree that some positions may be easier and many considered 15 too remote but Hogg does ok for Scotland. If the captain needs to be aware of everything and be close to the coalface then there are no other leaders in the team. At a higher level the captain will not be constantly communicating with the team during play. If he thinks he needs to he's not a good captain or the team are truly awful.

I think Dobby and Thomas Young are not the right choices. We haven't won many with them as captain and it does detract from their own game.

I'm sure Lee has a leadership group and it will be interesting to see who emerges from that as a longer term captain. LBND was very young when he first got the job but he had all the tools required of a captain already and became a great captain with experience.

When you look at Lol and Johnno, you had leaders that would drag the troops over the hill with them. Exceptional guys. I don't see their like in the modern era.