Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Post match reflection  (Read 3765 times)

hopwood

Re: Post match reflection
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2022, 08:12:35 PM »
I like a 2nd or back row as a captain.
If I have to have a back then a 12.
Anyone in any position can be captain as long as they have the right personality and game awareness to carry it off and it doesn't detract from their game.

I'd agree that some positions may be easier and many considered 15 too remote but Hogg does ok for Scotland. If the captain needs to be aware of everything and be close to the coalface then there are no other leaders in the team. At a higher level the captain will not be constantly communicating with the team during play. If he thinks he needs to he's not a good captain or the team are truly awful.

I think Dobby and Thomas Young are not the right choices. We haven't won many with them as captain and it does detract from their own game.

I'm sure Lee has a leadership group and it will be interesting to see who emerges from that as a longer term captain. LBND was very young when he first got the job but he had all the tools required of a captain already and became a great captain with experience.

When you look at Lol and Johnno, you had leaders that would drag the troops over the hill with them. Exceptional guys. I don't see their like in the modern era.

I would say there are similarities between Brad Shields and Lawrence.
Brad may not deliver the highly emotional, rousing speeches that Lol used to, but rugby isn’t played in such an emotive way as it used to be. It’s a lot more technical, but still involves huge heart.

I think both Brad and Lol left everything out on the pitch, gave it their all, every game.
And they raise the games of those around them.
I think Brad is an exceptional leader and I think we’re very fortunate to have him.
He’s an absolute beast. A true warrior.
And that’s how we used to refer to Lawrence.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2022, 08:28:53 PM »
Complete agreement.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2022, 09:41:46 PM »
Shields is a natural leader and leads through words and deeds. The last two games have shown how much we miss him.