Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Launch & Alfie  (Read 1495 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Launch & Alfie
« on: February 20, 2022, 07:53:37 PM »
Retained by Eddie in the 35 for next weekend.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Launch & Alfie
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 08:16:27 PM »
Are they playing or making sandwiches?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 09:34:16 PM »
But he’ll slim that down early in the week. I think we’ll get Barbeary back but Launchbury will play.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 09:57:52 AM »
Not likely to be released until Thursday though (if released), and we have a Friday night kick off this week. I think that's too tight a turnaround to get them in

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »
I see the newest England selector - Marler - has been called up/back as well. Stick sticks in the craw.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 11:28:58 AM »
Why? There are numerous well documented reasons why Marler was released from the training camp for the weekend.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 11:57:41 AM »
Because it’s inequitable. OK, we have to navigate the six nations period without some players. But this adds a new layer. Why didn’t we have access to Barbeary? Alongside all that the inference is that it was his choice and that he’s picking and choosing. That’s fine as long as everyone else can do the same.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 12:37:32 PM »
Because it’s inequitable. OK, we have to navigate the six nations period without some players. But this adds a new layer. Why didn’t we have access to Barbeary? Alongside all that the inference is that it was his choice and that he’s picking and choosing. That’s fine as long as everyone else can do the same.

Not sure Wasps supporters have any grounds for complaint about inequitable player availability during the 6N.  For the first 2 weeks we did not lose a single player to any of the 6N squads (Alfie unavailable for training for most of the week, but still available to play) and played Exeter who were missing several and Bath who, despite their rotten form were still without Ewels, Stuart and Redpath.  To complain that it's not fair that Quins then got Marler back (but not Smith, Dombrandt and Marchant) while Alfie and Joe were not released seems a bit churlish.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 01:22:01 PM »
Non selection is not the point. It’s the treatment of those who are picked. Look at it a different way. Why did Quins get to play Marler but not Smith? The point is why did Marler get to choose?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 01:34:01 PM »
Non selection is not the point. It’s the treatment of those who are picked. Look at it a different way. Why did Quins get to play Marler but not Smith? The point is why did Marler get to choose?

I don't think he got to choose as such, presumably there was a conversation in camp with him, Eddie and the S&C team around you've played 2 lots of 20 minutes over the past couple of weeks so do you want to get some game time with Quins or stay in camp. Smith had played nearly 2 full games, as had Barbeary for Wasps, presumably England S & C wanted to assess Joe on his return so all different situations. That sort of thing goes on all the time, discussions on here often about players being rusty etc, nice video below outlining a similar process for Wales.

https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/status/1495499160803586059?t=5Vd_n-yflTi4to6vm-xroA&s=19

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 01:51:23 PM »
I accept that it is highly likely that Joe will be in the 23 , not sure Alfie will be, which will be 2 weeks of no game time followed by another break in the 6 nations. I don't understand why Alfie is not released after Tuesday's training. Surely EJ knows by then that he will not be picking Alfie.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 02:37:55 PM »
I accept that it is highly likely that Joe will be in the 23 , not sure Alfie will be, which will be 2 weeks of no game time followed by another break in the 6 nations. I don't understand why Alfie is not released after Tuesday's training. Surely EJ knows by then that he will not be picking Alfie.

EJ just being his usual awkward self.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 03:51:50 PM »
I'm sure Joe will be in the 23, probably starting. Since Lawes is fit and will presumably captain from 6 the question is which back rower do you have on the bench? Sam Simmonds had a slight knock so perhaps Alfie is under consideration as an impact sub?