Always a Wasp

Author Topic: No Alfie  (Read 1358 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
No Alfie
« on: March 10, 2022, 12:49:28 PM »
I know it has been said on the England thread but feel for him. Too late to get him back as he is probably a "travelling " reserve.

Let me tell you something cucumber

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No Alfie
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 12:51:44 PM »
Shame for him but selfishly if he doesn't play he won't get injured!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 01:00:18 PM »
Shame for him but selfishly if he doesn't play he won't get injured!

True +1
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 01:11:46 PM »
Didn't help Sam Jones.......

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 03:04:52 PM »
Look I’m really not sure I should bring this up right now, but I will in order to stimulate debate.

And before I do, please let me say I’m probably Alfie’s biggest fan. He’s a force of nature and quite clearly a ‘once in a generation’ player. But……. will he ever be the best back row in England?

Look I know Eddie allegedly steered him that way, but I am afraid I don’t have much respect for Eddie’s coaching qualities.

So here’s the big question: Could Alfie be the best Hooker in the world? 

So if he doesn’t get in the England team this 6 Nations, will he have a re-think or keep going with the back row?

Thoughts?

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 03:31:56 PM »
That's a good point but a lot of times hookers are pulled off after 60 minutes, so I believe Alfie can influence a game more in the back row 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 03:56:07 PM »
When Alfie first appeared on the scene, I saw him as from the same mould as Bismarck du Plessis and Malcolm Marx.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 07:22:20 PM »
The back row may look congested but 8 less so. Dombrandt is deservedly getting his chance. I still don’t think Jones fancies Simmonds much at 8 (and nor do I). So, in terms of England 8’s I’d say Barbeary is behind Dombrandt, and a precariously placed Simmonds only.Vunipola is persona non grata with Jones which puts Barbeary right up there. It’s ironic as I don’t think he’s as good an 8 as Willis yet!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 08:59:19 PM »
I agree Shugs.
I firmly believe that Tom Willis is the better No8.

He has more control at the base of the scrum, more understanding with the 9, and seems to make really good decisions when taking the ball.

However, Alfie has an X factor that few others can replicate.

I don't think I have him in Wasps starting back row, this season or next.... But I can see why Eddie would want him involved with England.

Maybe Lawes at 6 allows 2 back row replacements which gets Alfie a spot.

As for hooker, it really doesn't sound like he's played there much and doesn't fancy it.
The only report I remember reading about him playing hooker questioned his lineout throwing.
Even if he was to move back to hooker he'd need to be solid at the lineout at we've recently been berating Oghre for his weaknesses there (admittedly he seems to have either improved, or is handling the pressure better)

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 09:21:50 PM »
The back row may look congested but 8 less so. Dombrandt is deservedly getting his chance. I still don’t think Jones fancies Simmonds much at 8 (and nor do I). So, in terms of England 8’s I’d say Barbeary is behind Dombrandt, and a precariously placed Simmonds only.Vunipola is persona non grata with Jones which puts Barbeary right up there. It’s ironic as I don’t think he’s as good an 8 as Willis yet!

Well I really do hope he’ll get his chance with England at 8 Shugs, but the trouble is, I also agree with your last point - I think TW is better.

And I do wonder how this wonderful bear of a man would get on hooking between Martinez and Koch next season. So destructive.

Fingers crossed for Alfie.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 12:18:22 PM »
Look I’m really not sure I should bring this up right now, but I will in order to stimulate debate.

And before I do, please let me say I’m probably Alfie’s biggest fan. He’s a force of nature and quite clearly a ‘once in a generation’ player. But……. will he ever be the best back row in England?

Look I know Eddie allegedly steered him that way, but I am afraid I don’t have much respect for Eddie’s coaching qualities.

So here’s the big question: Could Alfie be the best Hooker in the world? 

So if he doesn’t get in the England team this 6 Nations, will he have a re-think or keep going with the back row?

Thoughts?
I agree with this, I think it was a mistake to focus on backrow when having him at hooker creates a pack with incredible ball carrying ability. He played hooker all before moving into the Wasps first team so its not like it would be dangerous to have him in the front row, and you can coach throwing.

At least they didn't move him to centre, that would be really stupid.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 01:40:35 PM »
He played hooker, but didn't he say it was only a few times.

Maybe it really wasn't working out.

These days, I think learning to scrummage at 2 isn't a problem. There's not a lot of hooking going on. It's pretty much bind, crouch, drive.
However, being a top level lineout thrower isn't so easy.

If he didn't play much at 2 in his youth years, he won't have practiced much throwing.

He clearly doesn't want to be a hooker.
It sounds like he still wants to be an occasional centre, but is happy with back row.