Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Quick laws question to those who know more than me.  (Read 764 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Quick laws question to those who know more than me.
« on: March 12, 2022, 08:12:41 PM »
Ireland had just landed a fantastic 50/22 from a kick by their winger. England closed the gap at the resultant line out and Ireland were awarded a free kick. They couldn't kick it into touch as they wouldn't get the throw in, it was probably too far out to tap and go and they chose a scrum at which they got penalised. Couldn't they have simply retaken the line out still with their throw in or do the laws not allow that? If so, that seems grossly unfair to me as their scrum was being splintered by England all game long. Or did Ireland simply just make a big mistake?

Thanks for any input.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Quick laws question to those who know more than me.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 08:39:02 PM »
You can't chose the line out from a free kick, you can only have it from a penalty if the offence was within the line-out or you have to kick it out beforehand, you can however chose the scrum for either award.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 08:44:46 PM »
You can't chose the line out from a free kick, you can only have it from a penalty if the offence was within the line-out or you have to kick it out beforehand, you can however chose the scrum for either award.

Thanks for the information. Surely that means that after England infringes at the line out then Ireland go from having an advantage to being disadvantaged? Doesn't seem right to me. Could this be an effective tactic to negate the line out resulting from a 50/22?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 08:47:23 PM »
Would it also not be a defence against the old Exeter scrum penalty, kick to the corner and driving maul?

A technical infringement at their lineout award them a free kick and maybe not concede the 7 points

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 08:51:57 PM »
Would it also not be a defence against the old Exeter scrum penalty, kick to the corner and driving maul?

A technical infringement at their lineout award them a free kick and maybe not concede the 7 points

Exeter developed the tap and go to overcome this and the risk of losing a lineout plus Might be once but refs tend to go to full penalty once same offence free kicks are repeated
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:53:42 PM by Chunky24 »

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 08:53:19 PM »

Thanks for the information. Surely that means that after England infringes at the line out then Ireland go from having an advantage to being disadvantaged? Doesn't seem right to me. Could this be an effective tactic to negate the line out resulting from a 50/22?

Might be once but refs tend to go to full penalty once same offence free kicks are repeated.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 09:20:34 PM »

Yes, but the 50/22 is still a bit of a rarity. I still don't understand why an infringement can result in the offending side negating an opposition advantage.

Might be once but refs tend to go to full penalty once same offence free kicks are repeated.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!