Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What does it look like fixed?  (Read 2843 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: What does it look like fixed?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 10:34:13 PM »
It seems clear to me that Martinez when fit will be our LH. He’s already played LH for Argentina.

Rather than Tom West??

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 12:50:28 AM »
I think they were replying to my worries if West is away, as I feel he might be. I forgot about BH, to be honest. Hislop concerns me a little, seems to take that step to the left a lot. Still I am not an expert to say the least.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 07:40:26 AM »
Tom West is a great LH, already almost at International level, and is not yet even in his prime.

Martinez is at International level now. And he’s young as well, so should keep getting better too.

Can’t wait to see the ‘new’ Wasps front row in action next season!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 07:52:27 AM »
Agree - our front row should give us that solidity to not going backwards in the set piece. I fancy that Frosty could be our #1 hooker with West/Martinez and Koch/Alo either side of him.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2022, 08:37:59 AM »
Tom West is a great LH, already almost at International level, and is not yet even in his prime.

Martinez is at International level now. And he’s young as well, so should keep getting better too.

Can’t wait to see the ‘new’ Wasps front row in action next season!

I think West will be with England very,very soon.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 08:48:54 AM »
It seems clear to me that Martinez when fit will be our LH. He’s already played LH for Argentina.

And JTA had played in the front row for the All Blacks. He's far from our first choice scrummager at TH.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2022, 09:10:16 AM »

And JTA had played in the front row for the All Blacks. He's far from our first choice scrummager at TH.

I like Jeff but I do feel the need to flesh out your line a bit, VV. JTA has only 1 cap for the ABs and that was against Japan nearly 10 years ago.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2022, 11:08:24 AM »
JTA is a real character, you gotta love his spirit! He’s blessed with world class soft hands and a gifted ability to offload at the right time. So remarkable in the loose.

However, it’s obvious he’s been a penalty machine as a prop and this has often knocked the stuffing out of our momentum in a game. Reckon he has been working really hard on his scrummaging as he’s improved a lot since he’s been here but he’s still giving away too many costly penalties.

Back in the day, I was lucky enough to hv played with and against a raft of International props - with Fran Cotton probably the pick of the bunch. Although the skills a prop needs now in the Premiership are greater than in those days, first and foremost you’ve got to be able to scrimmage.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2022, 12:21:55 PM »

I like Jeff but I do feel the need to flesh out your line a bit, VV. JTA has only 1 cap for the ABs and that was against Japan nearly 10 years ago.

I think he's a valuable player to have in the team, he brings an awful lot to the squad and we'd be poorer without him.,  But Scrummaging has proven not to be his strong point.  But as to caps, Martinez has what? 3 caps for Argentina?

I'd probably say you get more as a player from being part of the ABs set-up than you do the Pumas.  But my point still stands.  Being capped internationally does not make you the best choice for your club.  Would you drop Dobby for Ben Youngs?  Even out of form as he is now?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2022, 12:54:57 PM »

I think he's a valuable player to have in the team, he brings an awful lot to the squad and we'd be poorer without him.,  But Scrummaging has proven not to be his strong point.  But as to caps, Martinez has what? 3 caps for Argentina?

I'd probably say you get more as a player from being part of the ABs set-up than you do the Pumas.  But my point still stands.  Being capped internationally does not make you the best choice for your club.  Would you drop Dobby for Ben Youngs?  Even out of form as he is now?

That's unfair 😆 I wouldn't drop anyone for Ben Youngs.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2022, 05:22:30 PM »
I know what people are saying about JTA but as a prop, if you struggle at scrum time, it doesn’t really matter what other skills you have. I still think we’ll see Ryan added to our TH stock.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2022, 11:30:46 PM »
At ten I don't quite see the Cipriani Jacob comparison holding water. Ostensibly they are prone to brain farts and have a bit more variation in their kicking stats than we would like. However, Danny could put 80 sublime mins in, Jacob can't and we should remember Danny was full back in the 07 final if my memory served. He had a big game mentality. I don't recall Danny missing touch, Nick Robinson yes,not Danny. His moments of madness tended to be charge down kicks or attempting to run when he should not, and actually a lot of the latter ended up with us under the sticks at their end. If Jacob was like him at 24 we would be looking for Walder type back up and ve golden . Instead we have a far less consistent performer who has Cipriani-esque moments.

Totally agree with this. Cipriani was sublime and could run a game - he was capable of seeing things other 10’s couldn’t and created space and gaps for others to benefit from. Wingers saw a lot more of the ball when he was playing as a result and tended to top the try scoring tables too. He would have been a great but I fear the appalling injury he picked all those years back messed with his head. After that his defence was poor as was his kicking from hand in our own 22. His kicking from the tee seemed to drop away too.

Umaga is a pale shadow of Cipriani. I’ve never seen him take a side apart and run a game. He looked pretty good at 15 at Bristol but that was in comparison to Atkinson who has some development to go. Unlike Cipriani I think he lacks a good rugby brain and the personality to stamp himself on a side. His tackling is pathetic and he’s too casual - dropping the ball for the try at Saints is inexcusable and it’s fortunate the TMO was asleep. I think over 80 mins his game is below par for what you’d expect from a Premiership 10, and for every piece of excellence you’ll get three pieces of dross.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:32:17 PM by Andywasp50 »

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2022, 08:44:07 AM »
Whilst not a fan, I really don't get this constant Ben Youngs bashing. If you are of international quality, the thing that determines the length of your career is your ability to make the right decision every time.

If you critically watch an in form Dan Robson, you will see that he makes more mistakes than Ben Youngs.

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2022, 08:46:19 AM »
Re Jacob's 'try', Wayne Barnes had turned and was running back to the 50m line before the ball had been dropped

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2022, 08:58:57 AM »
Wasps players need to adopt the try scoring process of rugby league players where they fall over the line with the ball securely tucked against their body.

Our coaches should stop players like Jacob, Paolo, Zac and Bass lazily attempting to place the ball down with one hand.

Jacob was very lucky on Sunday.