Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Northampton Saints v Wasps: Post match thoughts.  (Read 4472 times)

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Northampton Saints v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2022, 02:50:48 PM »
I’ve long voiced my opinion that Jacob isn’t good enough to be a starting 10 and while In general I thought he was poor again today with the odd sprinkling of gold dust he was far from the worst player on the pitch. I really don’t see how Watson gets a starting berth, JTA is a liability at scrum time, Hislop only fractionally better. Fifita is another one that has dropped right off since news of his departure and is looking increasingly fragile and that’s a major problem for a forward. Not sure how much Jimmy has left in the tank so probably time to start looking to players that will be here next season. Despite todays performance I think there were some positives, with the additions for next season I think our pack will be a match for almost anyone including replacements. For me Spink is starting to grow into the player we hoped for, far from the finished article but heading in the right direction. Paulo will give anyone problems if we give him the opportunity

Umaga's issue yesterday is that often he received the ball with a Saints player right on him, with nowhere to go. They choked our first phase ball every time. On kick chase they were usually ready to slam the receiver as soon as they touched the ball with their feet on the ground.
I wish that was Jacobs only issue, you make it sound like the poor elements of his game are caused by somebody else’s poor play? His kicking from hand is erratic, his kicking from the tee is even worse, his tackling is generally poor and for me he just isn’t good enough to be a starting 10. I will however say again he was far from the worst player on the team on Sunday

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2022, 03:14:40 PM »
Thanks - not an option then. So just carry on hoofing it as far as you can.

Someone on another thread mentioned Lima Sopoaga , thought I’d look and see how he was doing at Lyon and came across this . Maybe more thought should be put into goal line drop outs.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjd5vrD7sX2AhXRNcAKHQFUDYcQFnoECAsQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rugbypass.com%2Fnews%2Fwatch-lima-sopoaga-punishes-perpignan-for-poor-goal-line-drop-out%2F&usg=AOvVaw1tAS5gcgSYLleaL4FVg_vl

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2022, 03:36:23 PM »
I'm a fan of drop goals. Nice one, Lima. It was a piss poor goal line drop out though😁
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2022, 03:44:13 PM »
"Sopoaga had no issues banging the ball over from 39 metres"

If only that had been true when he was with us.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2022, 03:58:11 PM »

Looks like doing ok since Jan - 56 pts from his boot

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2022, 04:17:03 PM »

Drop goals seem to have been a comparative rarity in the Prem for the last few seasons. Perhaps with the new goal line drop outs, they will be seen again with more frequency?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2022, 04:35:46 PM »
Back in 1968 whilst still at school I dropped three goals in one match, only to be berrated by the school Rugby teacher (we were a Grammar School so didn't have Masters)  that drop goals were only to be used to break a stalemate situation, or to win a match in the closing minutes.

Mind you he didn't seem to mind them being used when he was captain of London Welsh, Wales and the Lions  :)

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2022, 06:05:14 PM »
Back in 1968 whilst still at school I dropped three goals in one match, only to be berrated by the school Rugby teacher (we were a Grammar School so didn't have Masters)  that drop goals were only to be used to break a stalemate situation, or to win a match in the closing minutes.

Mind you he didn't seem to mind them being used when he was captain of London Welsh, Wales and the Lions  :)

Ah - JD!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2022, 08:58:32 PM »
I think the theory that Dan’s malaise is due to the realisation that he’s done internationally is spot on. Porter has to start for the next few games. Harris, if fit has to come in for Hislop. Someone has to play FB rather than Watson, preferably Crossdale. With Fekitoa fit I’d play Spink 12, Fekitoa 13 and Odogwu wing.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2022, 09:20:44 AM »
Is Spink a 12/13 or a 13? - Has he played 12 during his earlier years? (Genuine question as I don't know)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2022, 10:21:52 AM »
Is Spink a 12/13 or a 13? - Has he played 12 during his earlier years? (Genuine question as I don't know)

Spink is a 13, not a 12. They are very different roles, and rarely does one play well as the other. Sure, teams have used them interchangeably, when needed, but it rarely works out well. Just the same as winger playing 13 rarely works well. Or, indeed, winger playing full back, or 10 playing full back. You develop muscle memory for a position and it takes an effort to move. Move you can, but it often does not work, and is worse still if you constantly shift from to the other. I am not with Eddie on this, therefore. I do not believe in Utility players.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2022, 10:48:10 AM »

I am not with Eddie on this, therefore. I do not believe in Utility players.
+1

Seen too often with England at centre and wing

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2022, 11:26:28 AM »

I am not with Eddie on this, therefore. I do not believe in Utility players.
+1

Seen too often with England at centre and wing

+2
Let me tell you something cucumber