Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Fra v Eng (spoiler alert)  (Read 1781 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Fra v Eng (spoiler alert)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 02:25:25 PM »
Wales I think did try and change both team and tactics post WC. They got lucky last year- there was useless reffing, a good fixture order and everyone playing a man down, all in their favour. That gave a false impression, but I think their process has more logic than Eddie's.
They are struggling with the club structure, and probably were better with players outside of Wales

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Fra v Eng (spoiler alert)
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 05:50:22 PM »
Jones tactics are poor but for me the real problem is selection. The 6N is done and if we’ve to have any chance of being competitive in the RWC we really must not be seeing Youngs, Stuart, Daly, Furbank and George again. No more silly experiments and he needs to find a reasonably settled 23. Chances of Jones doing it - 1/10.

Shugs - you are probably right. I looked back to 2018 6Ns when England had a 'mare and looked at what the changes were to the team as matters got worse. It seemed that England placed the blame on the backline more than anything - changing people about - when the backline they could select was the once that had just had two good 6Ns and a good tour to Oz.

The main problem seemed to be that when BV wasn't playing in 2018, England failed to challenge the gainline/drag in defenders. It wasn't the backline which had been there in the main- when winning games.

Current problems stem at least from two choices made - a) no one in the pack providing go forwards (net metres rather than running into tacklers) and b) challenging for ball in the air more important than pace. As pace gets you go forwards too.

Assuming fitness - I think most of use could select a competitive 23.....