Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wins & Losses  (Read 2201 times)

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wins & Losses
« on: March 21, 2022, 12:43:28 PM »
A long depressing thread after the Saints match.
What have we lost since we beat Toulouse, Leicester, Saracens & Exeter whilst still having a number of injuries? We all thought things had turned around then.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wins & Losses
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 12:45:56 PM »
A number of high profile injured players came back and we started to lose.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 01:02:00 PM »
The players lost their consistency as a team. It became a 'bring yer boots' team, where nobody really knew the player next to them. That is telling. Wasps, as a 'brand' should have a plug 'n play training regime, where the style and plays of the team are known by all who play in any position. But, they are clearly not anywhere near close to that. The backs more so than the forwards. A 12 should pretty much know what his 10 will do when a plan goes awry, but they don't. And so on. It's like they don't sit down and discuss things before and after training sessions.

Sure, Jacob might Booj, here's what we are going to try now. But, no discussion of what Jacob will do if the ball comes too slow to him, or too high, or behind him. No backup plan. It goes from planned to panic.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 01:35:43 PM »
The players lost their consistency as a team. It became a 'bring yer boots' team, where nobody really knew the player next to them. That is telling. Wasps, as a 'brand' should have a plug 'n play training regime, where the style and plays of the team are known by all who play in any position. But, they are clearly not anywhere near close to that. The backs more so than the forwards. A 12 should pretty much know what his 10 will do when a plan goes awry, but they don't. And so on. It's like they don't sit down and discuss things before and after training sessions.

Sure, Jacob might Booj, here's what we are going to try now. But, no discussion of what Jacob will do if the ball comes too slow to him, or too high, or behind him. No backup plan. It goes from planned to panic.

I guess you are going to be our next coach then, Nelly?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 01:44:59 PM »
Given who should be available this weekend, I am quietly confident that we can beat Falcons. Training this week will be intense, given the performances of those who played at Sale.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 02:37:41 PM »
I know this is an all too simplistic explanation, but I'm putting it out there anyway.

Alfie Barbeary.

He's played more than 60 minutes in 5 games since returning from injury (63 mins + 74 mins + 3 x 80 mins).  We have won all 5.
Of the 6 other games (excluding Prem Cup) since then, (34 mins + 39 mins + 4 x 0 mins)  We have won 1 (Sarries) and lost 5.

Coincidence?  I guess we find out now we have him back from Eddie's evil clutches!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 02:39:12 PM by DGP Wasp »

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 03:09:03 PM »
Who do you start - or rather who do you bench - out of Shields, J Willis, T Willis and Barbeary?

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 03:28:31 PM »
Brad and Jack are Shoe-In's for me. I don't mind who starts between Alfie and Tom as we are lucky to have two very good young Eights.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 03:46:44 PM »
Brad and Jack are Shoe-In's for me. I don't mind who starts between Alfie and Tom as we are lucky to have two very good young Eights.

Rock paper scissors?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 05:05:10 PM »
It is a very tight call but I would go Brad Jack and Alfie. Tom can cover 8 & 6 from the bench

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 05:47:50 PM »
We’ve lost a bit of form. Quins, Bristol and Saints, all away, are no easy games. Barbeary’s dynamism always helps but even without him if we were playing well I’d back us to win one of those three at least. But we’re not playing well at the moment. The re-assuring thing is we have the players - we just need to hit form again.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2022, 06:19:12 PM »

For me Tom provides more control at the base of the scrum and a better awareness of when to go and when not to.

That's presumably because he's been playing 8 for years and Alfie's been there for about 5 minutes.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2022, 06:25:50 PM »
It is a very tight call but I would go Brad Jack and Alfie. Tom can cover 8 & 6 from the bench
At the moment Brad gets inked in first and then pick the rest of the back 3 around him. I don't care where he plays we need him on the pitch providing leadership and some rugby sense.

No disrespect to Joe, who is a great captain, but he needs Brad's help as well if we're going to get in to the European Cup next season.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2022, 07:08:42 PM »
Rather that sitting around waiting for the form fairy to visit I wonder if there is a way we could help the players perform better as a cohesive team?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2022, 08:52:07 PM »
Such as have the same combinations available? Not have players visiting mad Eddie’s circus and coming back for one days prep? Less injuries? However, I feel you are steering towards coaching.