Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Budgies  (Read 2329 times)

hopwood

Re: Teams Up for Budgies
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2022, 01:44:37 PM »
They've obviously got a plan in mind.
So I'll withhold judgement until the game and see how we flow.

I trust our coaching team (way more than Eddie Jones and his revolving door of coaches).

So I'm just excited to see how everyone goes.
With this warmth and firmer ground, I'm really hoping to see some Speedy Gonzales opportunities, running hard, from deep....with great handling and off-loading.
Could be a very exciting game....where Wasps really come into their own.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2022, 01:46:18 PM »
There are a couple of odd calls in there. Alfie over Tom is one that gets me. Though Zack at 15 is the strangest
Agreed. Whilst I understand wanting to get Alfie on the pitch somehow, the stats show that Tom has been outstanding all season so very harsh to drop him.

Problem is Alfies next best position is probably at 6 any you don't drop Brad.

How nice is it to have these selection headaches after struggling to get 23 fit players available for much of the season.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 01:47:40 PM »
Before the Saints game, BB reported that Ali had suffered a knock in training - a calf issue. Lee had said that he wasn't a million miles away. Though not reported as unavailable, I wouldn't be surprised if he was being held as a reserve.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 01:58:00 PM »
Before the Saints game, BB reported that Ali had suffered a knock in training - a calf issue. Lee had said that he wasn't a million miles away. Though not reported as unavailable, I wouldn't be surprised if he was being held as a reserve.

Didn't he play in the prem cup game though?

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 02:05:44 PM »
Definitely didn't see Kibirige as a 15. Lee needs to make a decision on 15 and stick with it, far too many 15's already this season. Hislop doesn't do it for me, don't think he is much of a scrummager.

I find it very difficult to leave Tom out, I really do think we have got to find a a way of getting Shields, Alfie, Willis and Willis on the pitch at the same time but then we go back to the debate of hooker/back row with Alfie.

The team looks pretty solid on paper and I put us favourite, especially playing at home. Lets hope Dan has upped his game and we play as a team and not a butch of individuals

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2022, 03:01:20 PM »
It’s a 23 isn’t it - so I don’t think the exclusion of West and Willis means the impact it is thought they might have is any way diminished. Personally the thought of a fresh Willis coming on after 55 mins is a good thing.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »
Alfie has never played hooker at senior level that I'm aware of.
And he stated that he only played a few games at hooker in youth sides.
I'm therefore really reluctant to consider him as a hooker.

Re: hislop starting instead of West, there was a stat a year or so ago that said there's more scrums in the latter half of a game than the first half.
If that really does hold up as true, then it could be a really good reason to start Hislop and bring West on later.
It might even allow to minimise west's game time if we're doing well in the game

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »

I find it very difficult to leave Tom out, I really do think we have got to find a a way of getting Shields, Alfie, Willis and Willis on the pitch at the same time but then we go back to the debate of hooker/back row with Alfie.

These YouTube highlights show Alfie playing International rugby as a hooker. So I wish he was playing 2 now, so we could have T Willis at 8. https://youtu.be/BZb1tV7qkew

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2022, 05:15:02 PM »
To be honest, I'm quite happy with Ogre and Frost as hookers...and Cruse when he's fit again.

I think we've also got some more exciting young talent coming through in this position as well?

I agree that Tom Willis is a fabulous young No 8 as well as Alfie, but we've also got Nemo as well who deserves a place in the 23 also!

Compared to where we were a few months ago it is almost an "embarrassment of riches" to be able to rest/rotate players and I think it shows where we probably could have been with a reasonably fit squad over the season.

I really hope it is a good game tomorrow and we click as a team so everyone can get behind them.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2022, 05:47:25 PM »
Yes fair comment Colonel.

I’m certainly looking forward to going to the CBS Arena tmrw and cheering the boys to a victory.

If you see an old bloke on crutches who looks like he’s recovering from a knee replacement op, that’ll probably be me.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2022, 05:54:59 PM »
There are a couple of odd calls in there. Alfie over Tom is one that gets me. Though Zack at 15 is the strangest

I think Alfie starting instead of Tom is entirely down to Jones. Alfie needs game time.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2022, 12:57:34 AM »
Kibirige at 15 against his old club could be down to a plan to keep the ball in hand and run everything from our own half, Falcons could be nervous of his pace and worried about kicking to him. I’d rather give him a try than Watson who just doesn’t make the grade for me. I’m not convinced by Crossdale either to be honest.

It’s an impressive 23 and I’m hopeful we can get a decent result, but a lot depends on the ever unpredictable Umaga linking the hard work of our forwards with the power and pace of our backs. If it goes well 5 points could be on the menu, but if not we could be in for a tough afternoon a la Bath.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2022, 05:48:35 AM »
Certainly Zach at 15 is an intriguing pick which, I think, has taken all of us by surprise. As Budgies know him, they will be wary of kicking deep.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2022, 06:10:55 AM »
I think the prop selection is very sensible and purely down to our scrum imploding when both Hislop and JTA are on together.

This way gives us better balance throughout the game and as we know with props, West could come on after half an hour and if injured Hislop can always come back on

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2022, 10:13:47 AM »

The more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that Tom Willis is a better No8 than Alfie.

However, Alfie adds something that we are severely lacking at the moment.
The ability to make a break or half break, even from standstill, is a rare trait.

Where we are at the moment, we need every opportunity to break the opposition line.

I think that Alfie can help turn a losing team into a winning team.... Whereas Tom will help keep a winning team winning