Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What do we do about fly half?  (Read 3852 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What do we do about fly half?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2022, 10:41:00 AM »
if the coaches told our front row to attempt a drop goal every time they got the ball in the opponent's half would it be JTA's fault he kept missing?

well no but its not a Props job to drop goals, it IS Umaga's job to kick to touch.

Their turnaround was caused by getting a new coaching team.  That sounds like it was the fault of the coaches to me.

You misunderstood my point. The new coach gave the player freedom to play a way they enjoyed & play what was in front of them on the pitch. So yes, very much a coaching decision, but one that was aimed at enabling clearly decent players to play to their strengths.

That for me it whats missing at Wasps. Clearly the players are very capable, but they need a structure around them to bring the best out of them. Jacob has had some superb games, as has Robson. Yes they are out of form & low on confidence, but they need to be coached back into form & be allowed to build confidence in their natural game. They look a bit stifled at the moment.

To suggest though that they don't care, or they aren't working hard enough in training just is wrong IMO.
Should the coaches be able to fix it, yes they should, but its not as easy as people seem to think, otherwise everyone would be doing it, wouldn't they?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: What do we do about fly half?
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2022, 11:15:10 AM »
That for me it whats missing at Wasps. Clearly the players are very capable, but they need a structure around them to bring the best out of them. Jacob has had some superb games, as has Robson. Yes they are out of form & low on confidence, but they need to be coached back into form & be allowed to build confidence in their natural game. They look a bit stifled at the moment.

To suggest though that they don't care, or they aren't working hard enough in training just is wrong IMO.
Should the coaches be able to fix it, yes they should, but its not as easy as people seem to think, otherwise everyone would be doing it, wouldn't they?

Agreed. I ever remember when I started playing for Leamington (as a lad) and at school, our PE teacher/coach changed. I was kicking for touch and deep field kicks with the spiral (off the side of either boot). That has a flight pattern which was well suited to the heavier, laced leather balls that we played with way (way) back then. My two new coaches wanted me to change the way I kicked, as we now had the lighter, modern ball to play with. My kicks were far less accurate. I never did get the hang of the new type/style of kicking. I spent two seasons trying to get it, and in the end gave up, ignored the coaches, and went back to the spiral kick. Happiness for me, grumpy coaches, but I couldn't care at that point. I had started to lose interest as they were now coaching all the fun, inventiveness out of my game. By 19 I had stopped playing. When you aren't being paid, but you do it for fun, if it isn't fun, you stop.