Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jimmy Gopperth is Wasps' hero once more as Lee Blackett tackles life after Kiwi'  (Read 867 times)

Heathen

• View Profile

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Hate to say this but Lee’s comments in the Cov telegraph are rather deluded about Jacob or Charlie landing those kind of kicks.

Gopps has proved over and over his value from the tee in tight games. Top level sport is all about winning those critical moments in games and from what I’ve seen over the last 2-3 years there’s no one who can step into those boots.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Plus 1. 

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Not saying either will step into his boots or writing them off but doesn't being in those situations over a number of years develop that sort of mental strength to deliver them?

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I agree, Jimmy's rock solid consistency is a double edged sword, Jacob hasn't had to develop that part of his game because we've relied on Jimmy.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
And Jimmy's success % has drifted downwards in the past couple of seasons. He's not quite the Mr Metronome that he once was.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
And Jimmy's success % has drifted downwards in the past couple of seasons. He's not quite the Mr Metronome that he once was.

Absolutely.
Jacob's kicking stats are better than Jimmy's this season (or they were when o looked a couple of weeks ago)
And it's been a trend with Jacobs percentage interesting over time, and Jimmy's declining.

BUT .....

A last minute, pressure penalty kick like yesterday, or the famous one against Exeter.
I'd still have my money on Jimmy before anyone else in the squad

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I suspect the stats are skewed by the fact that Jacob tends to take the easy ones and Gopps the harder and/or higher pressure kicks.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
I think we're probably right in letting him got to Tiggs on a reported 2 year contract but.........I'll miss him :(

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!