Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lee addresses Top 4  (Read 1421 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lee addresses Top 4
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 01:31:47 PM »
What's the deal with the Challenge Cup KO fixture - Do we know if we're a home/away seed and who the likely opponents may be?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 01:37:35 PM »
What's the deal with the Challenge Cup KO fixture - Do we know if we're a home/away seed and who the likely opponents may be?

We are definitely away. Who we play depends on this weekends results but may be the EAs if they win.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 01:41:17 PM »
We're away to the 7th seed, which will be the highest ranked side out of the sides that finish third in their pools. At the moment that's Newcastle, who have Zebre at home this weekend. If they win that they'll go ahead of Worcester in their pool, as Worcester have the weekend off.

Saracens are away to Brive and if they win, they'll be 7th seed unless Biarritz beat Toulon or draw and score 4 tries.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 01:42:53 PM »
I saw something on Twatter a while back that said we go all the way with away fixtures. I can't vouch for it but it was someone reputable, @TheWaspsReport I think but can't find it now.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 02:10:45 PM »
I saw something on Twatter a while back that said we go all the way with away fixtures. I can't vouch for it but it was someone reputable, @TheWaspsReport I think but can't find it now.

Correct.

Wiki sets it out more clearly:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%80%9322_EPCR_Challenge_Cup

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 02:32:57 PM »

Correct.

Wiki sets it out more clearly:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%80%9322_EPCR_Challenge_Cup

Thanks for that - what a bloody confusing layout (but we knew that).

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 02:44:24 PM »
Looking at who's playing who this weekend, I think we can narrow our possible QF destinations down to 3:
Sarries, Brive or Biarritz.

Last minute Easter weekend in Biarritz certainly sounds nice!  (Shame I've got a wedding to go to that weekend!  >:()

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 03:09:46 PM »
weekend in Biarritz

That would bring back some nice memories!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 03:36:08 PM »
weekend in Biarritz

That would bring back some nice memories!

Great weekend, shame about the result!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 06:35:05 PM »
Destination wise then it’s a call between Biarritz, Brive or Barnet. Hmmmm……tough one.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 10:21:23 AM »
Destination wise then it’s a call between Biarritz, Brive or Barnet. Hmmmm……tough one.

If it ends up being Worcester or Saracens, then will stick to TV coverage.  But if it's Newcastle, Brive or Biarritz will see what we can do to get out there. 

A cursory glance at flights to get out to Bordeaux, Toulouse, Brive or Biarrtiz are all looking hideous (£300+ return - So likely a £500/head trip and it'll be x5 for our household).  Don't fancy the drive.  Haven't looked at trains yet - A combination of it being the Easter Weekend and issues around the crewing of flights not helping things.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 10:41:35 AM »
Yes Easter really kills it off as an option. Lack of notice doesn't help so I hope this is the last year of this messy organisation.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 11:16:17 AM »
Yes Easter really kills it off as an option. Lack of notice doesn't help so I hope this is the last year of this messy organisation.

Suspect we have to tolerate it for at least one more year since top 8 are qualifying from this year's Premiership, making it a 24 team European Cup again.  Can't imagine it will be anything other than a copy/paste exercise.

I'd love to see it back to the old format with traditional pools, playing each other home and away.  I'd even favour a further reduction to 16 teams with 4 pools of 4 and top 2 progressing to QF.
Top 5 from each league (inc SA teams in URC) plus the previous season's Challenge Cup winners in the Champions' Cup.
Next 5 from each league plus the previous season's 3rd Tier Cup winners in the Challenge Cup.
Remaining 11 teams from Prem/Top 14/URC, plus 5 from other European countries to compete in 3rd tier Euro competition.
Simple!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 11:28:23 AM »

Suspect we have to tolerate it for at least one more year since top 8 are qualifying from this year's Premiership, making it a 24 team European Cup again.  Can't imagine it will be anything other than a copy/paste exercise.

I'd love to see it back to the old format with traditional pools, playing each other home and away.  I'd even favour a further reduction to 16 teams with 4 pools of 4 and top 2 progressing to QF.
Top 5 from each league (inc SA teams in URC) plus the previous season's Challenge Cup winners in the Champions' Cup.
Next 5 from each league plus the previous season's 3rd Tier Cup winners in the Challenge Cup.
Remaining 11 teams from Prem/Top 14/URC, plus 5 from other European countries to compete in 3rd tier Euro competition.
Simple!

Yes - Rugby Tonight on Sunday suggested it would remain the same - as it is more exciting! For TV maybe but I miss the potential trips away.