Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The X-rated Eddie Jones phone call that ended my England career  (Read 1587 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
According to Mike Brown, after being dropped following an incident with his then team-mate, he had a heated exchange with the England coach

From The Telegraph.

Mike Brown has revealed the extent of his expletive-ridden spat with Eddie Jones in 2019, which occurred as the former England full-back was being dropped for the World Cup after being punched by drunk team-mate Ben Te’o.

In a wide-ranging interview with RugbyPass, Brown accused Jones of spinelessness, using the episode as an excuse to leave him out.

Brown’s fight with Te’o had taken place on a team social at a beach club in Treviso during a training camp that was “the toughest I’ve ever experienced in my life”. Brown had taken issue with Maro Itoje, who had been “whacking” players on their chests as a joke, before Te’o started to wind him up and then punched him towards the end of the evening.

Although he holds no grudge against Te’o, Brown was disappointed that England colleagues did not stick up for him. He also said that the incident caused the relationship between him and Jones to collapse because the England head coach used it as a reason to axe Brown.

“A few days later when [Jones] is ringing around people to say they’re not involved, he kind of puts it on that [the fight],” Brown told Jim Hamilton of RugbyPass.

“I said to him: ‘Look, I understand selection is what it is, but don’t put it on that. You haven’t even asked me what happened. With all due respect, I didn’t really do anything. I don’t feel like it was my fault, I hadn’t drunk much, two drinks or whatever. There was other people in a worse state than me and I was just trying to mind my own business.’”
From there, Jones grew abusive towards Brown. “But then he [Jones] just switched and turned on me, effing and blinding and stuff,” added the 36-year-old, who won 72 caps. “It wasn’t nice. Just be a man and say what is the reason I’m not getting picked. Don’t try to put it on that, because it’s not that. It’s clear and obvious it’s not that. I asked him to tell me what he thinks happened and he said: ‘My security guards were there, they told me what happened.’

“I said ‘let me see what they’ve said has happened’, because he said he had written reports. He wouldn’t give me that. He said: ‘Who the eff do you think you are?’ because I was going back at him and he doesn’t like that. That was a shame it ended up like that, but I wanted clarity on why I wasn’t getting picked, not some made-up excuse.”

Although Brown described Jones as a “smart, clever, rugby-intelligent guy,” he also addressed the turnover of backroom coaches that has characterised the Australian’s tenure.

“He’s hard on the players and then he’s another level with the staff, so I can understand why people don’t last very long there because it must be tough being part of his staff,” Brown said.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The X-rated Eddie Jones phone call that ended my England career
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 09:26:46 AM »
It's not anything that's can't be cross referenced with lots of other people. The defence provided by Jones fans is that "of course dropped players will be critical" but the wider issue of person management seems a common thread.

The Marland Yarde example
"England hooker Dylan Hartley recalled Marland Yarde arriving at England’s Pennyhill base, “a bit bruised and battered” after a club game.

“Eddie greeted him with a bright ‘How are you feeling, mate?’ and the conversation quickly went downhill. ‘Oh, a bit tired.’ ‘F… off, mate.’ ‘What?’ ‘If you’re tired, f… off. I don’t want tired players here.’ As you can imagine, their cosy fireside chat echoed around the halls within minutes."

Ditto examples in the SH. It seems that Jones is excellent at taking an underperforming group and getting them ready to win - and also preparing for one off games (Japan vs SA, Eng vs NZ) but people management skills are needed......it's really not a nice option to have. And if and when you get it wrong, then your team underperform.

Jones apparently dropped BV post the IReland loss last season, a game after he was key in beating a vg France team. I always thought that Jones ought to have looked in the mirror after the Ireland game and asked why a team - that he picked and trained - could play so well one week and so poorly the next.....Blaming the players isn't the mature or effective response...well, not for me.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 09:34:49 AM »
One thing that sort of rings from the Brown interview there...

"Brown was disappointed that England colleagues did not stick up for him"

We all know that Brown can be emotional on the pitch etc, it might be his colleagues didn't see it the same way as he did, with him being the victim etc.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 10:16:24 AM »

We all know that Brown can be emotional on the pitch etc, it might be his colleagues didn't see it the same way as he did, with him being the victim etc.

Conversely, maybe his colleagues simply didn't want to be added to Jones' shit list.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 10:17:12 AM »

Conversely, maybe his colleagues simply didn't want to be added to Jones' shit list.

My thoughts.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 10:23:02 AM »
Oh joy, another Eddie jones thread  ;D

Could someone not merge them all together ?  :)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 10:26:38 AM »

This. Toxic culture starts at the top, and with the apparent lack of oversight by the RFU old duffers, nothing will improve any time soon.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 11:20:57 AM »
Oh joy, another Eddie jones thread  ;D

Could someone not merge them all together ?  :)

Well the thread subject makes it quite clear that the post will be about Jones. If you find it tedious, why bother to read it?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 11:41:28 AM »
Is it strange that my first thought on reading that was "Beach Club - In Treviso!"

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 12:06:46 PM »
I don’t really know why Jones had to explain why he dropped Brown. I don’t rate Jones as a man manager or coach but in this instance I don’t think he’s at fault.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 01:10:34 PM »
If I were a player I would absolutely expect to know why I was dropped, and if I were a coach I would expect to provide that.  The first thought on a players mind should be what am I doing wrong, what do I need to get back into the team.  The coach should be explaining exactly that to facilitate the player challenging to return.  It seems odd, since Jones likes to give players things to work on He doesn't seem backwards at telling players they need to do this and that, so why not in this case?  Maybe he did give Brown the real reason and he didn't like it?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 01:13:29 PM »
There are so many threads about Eddie because
A He is an arsehole
B England's recent results are utter, utter pants
C The rfu use selective stats to pretend he is the best England coach and that things are fine and dandy
D His decisions to pick and release  players and his training methods that break players directly impact Wasps rugby,  positively and negatively.
E His turnover of coaches directly impacts Wasps rugby,  both positively and negatively.
F The media are publishing weekly stories covering his comments/selections/bullying
G He is still an arsehole.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:15:05 PM by westwaleswasp »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 03:52:17 PM »
 Come on WWW!  Why don't you say what you really think ...    :) 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 04:14:13 PM »
Come on WWW!  Why don't you say what you really think ...    :)

He's holding off - lots more letters to go.
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2022, 07:34:01 PM »
My reading of Brown's comments are that he doesn't think much of the common sense or maturity of Itoje.

Seconded.