Always a Wasp

Author Topic: World Rugby - 20 minute Red Cards  (Read 1932 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: World Rugby - 20 minute Red Cards
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 03:53:08 PM »
Leave as is, but award the opposing team 7 points (1 try) for a yellow and 14 points (2 Tries) for a red.

Loving this, it would sort it out pdq

Well with both hookers being yellow carded at Castle Grim, it would end up evens. Also how would this affect try bonus points - otherwise I like the idea.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 04:10:03 PM »
Leave as is, but award the opposing team 7 points (1 try) for a yellow and 14 points (2 Tries) for a red.

Loving this, it would sort it out pdq

Told this to a neighbour who pointed out that red cards can be overtturned, which is something I hadn't thought of, and also suggested that for yellow it should be 3 points.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 05:04:36 PM »

It's also no deterrent

If we're assuming that a good percentage of these are accidental and essentially bad luck  then no increase in punishment will be a deterrent

I know that some are bad technique, and others are accidents due to lack of care which could potentially be punished more harshly, but it still wouldn't stop it happening.

We already see players repeatedly infringing when an attack is on the 5m line.
If they don't infringe, the fear is the opposition get a try.
If they do infringe, invariably is a yellow card and often a penalty try.
Is that really worth the risk? On paper it's surely not... But that's the game.

All we'll see with harsher punishments and points being awarded is games that are even more one sided.

A team down to 14 men after 30 minutes can sometimes battle.
A team down to 14 men after 30 minutes and also an extra 14 points down has no chance
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 11:16:22 AM by wasps »

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2022, 09:41:12 AM »
It's also no deterrent
If we're assuming that a good percentage of these are accidental and essentially bad luck  then no interest in punishment will be a deterrent
I know that are some are bad technique, and others are accidents due to lack of care which could potentially be punished more harshly, but it still wouldn't stop it happening.

Completely agree.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 01:04:09 PM »
Risking higher tackling can be by design.....whilst I really don't want to go on a Jones' rant, the article/vid by Squidge on the England - Ireland game essentially said that England's tactics, early in the game, included deliberately tackling higher than was strictly required - to hinder the Ireland offloading game. The risk was getting a card......

So a 20min card could more easily be seen as an incentive for such tactics...or at a minimum, making such tactics worth the risk (of a card)

Worth looking at his video on that game - it wasn't something I'd noticed until pointed out.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 05:48:13 PM »
Risking higher tackling can be by design.....whilst I really don't want to go on a Jones' rant, the article/vid by Squidge on the England - Ireland game essentially said that England's tactics, early in the game, included deliberately tackling higher than was strictly required - to hinder the Ireland offloading game. The risk was getting a card......

So a 20min card could more easily be seen as an incentive for such tactics...or at a minimum, making such tactics worth the risk (of a card)

Worth looking at his video on that game - it wasn't something I'd noticed until pointed out.

The flip side is that if a ref was swaying towards a yellow card so "they didn't ruin the match", they may be more happy to give a 20 minute red.

Rather than seeing reds downgraded, we may see more yellows upgraded to 20reds

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 08:48:15 AM »
That's true - but it's like a "double yellow" and as England seemed happy to risk a real red.....it does seem that there needs to be the most effective deterrent possible?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2022, 09:47:24 AM »
The thing that worries me about this is that it appears to be driven by something other than player safety. The catalyst appears to be Ewels red card so early depriving fans at Twickenham of seeing an even sided game. As a reason that really is nonsense.

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2022, 10:06:39 AM »

It's also no deterrent

If we're assuming that a good percentage of these are accidental and essentially bad luck  then no increase in punishment will be a deterrent

I know that some are bad technique, and others are accidents due to lack of care which could potentially be punished more harshly, but it still wouldn't stop it happening.

We already see players repeatedly infringing when an attack is on the 5m line.
If they don't infringe, the fear is the opposition get a try.
If they do infringe, invariably is a yellow card and often a penalty try.
Is that really worth the risk? On paper it's surely not... But that's the game.

All we'll see with harsher punishments and points being awarded is games that are even more one sided.

A team down to 14 men after 30 minutes can sometimes battle.
A team down to 14 men after 30 minutes and also an extra 14 points down has no chance

No deterrent?

The current yellow/red card regime is no deterrent as the number of head on head collisions has remained constant.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2022, 12:16:09 PM »
The thing that worries me about this is that it appears to be driven by something other than player safety. The catalyst appears to be Ewels red card so early depriving fans at Twickenham of seeing an even sided game. As a reason that really is nonsense.
Yep. Agree 100%, especially if Ewels risk of getting a red was increased by team strategy....