Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Travelling Premiership?  (Read 1297 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The Travelling Premiership?
« on: April 20, 2022, 01:04:19 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Premiership rugby chiefs plan to take matches around the UK https://mol.im/a/10732811 via https://dailym.ai/android
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: The Travelling Premiership?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 01:16:10 PM »
Well, that would make buying a season ticket less attractive.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 01:26:59 PM »
Well, that would make buying a season ticket less attractive.

Wouldn't it just.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 02:33:29 PM »
that would make buying a season ticket less attractive

Why so?
I would assume any home game, even if it was at another stadium would be included in season ticket. Weren't the double header & St Georges games like that?
Provided it not at the other end of the country, or indeed in another country like the US or Middle East (remember that embarassing episode in Duabi (?))
Can't see Wasps bothering as they can't fill the CBS at the moment, but I don't see an issue for one offs or big games. Its worked before for Quinns & Sarries. Didn't Newcastle play a game at St James Park a few years ago?
Don't see this as anything new really....

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 02:38:07 PM »
Leicester taking a game to Norwich would make sense tapping into the Youngs brothers legacy.

Might sound odd but if Wasps were to do one then somewhere like Bramall Lane or Hillsborough in Sheffield or Elland Road in Leeds would be a good market to tap into further, my in laws live up there and there are quite a few from that area who travel from there to watch prem rugby at Wasps as it is easier to get to than going into Leicester like they did previously.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 03:52:35 PM »
I am very anti this. (OK HQ was an exception when we were effectively a London based club)

HOWEVER, if PRL want to compensate the 'home' side for loss of income and the expense of travelling (and for season ticket holders) there might possibly be an opportunity.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 04:05:19 PM »
Regardless of whether it is a good idea or not, Harlequins is a terrible example and nothing like any team going to Yorkshire. What is Simon Massie-Taylor on about? How do we end up with people that think illogically like this in charge of things?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 04:47:04 PM »
Around the UK? Not England?
Wonder what the other Unions would think of that.

hopwood

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 12:58:11 PM »
Let’s be honest, rugby needs more fans to survive.
Especially at Premiership level.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting improved outcomes is naïve.
There’s got to be some sort of experimentation, to see if they can tap into a new audience.

If we stay as is, I worry the sport will eventually die away. Like County Cricket.
Yes, the season ticket holders need to be front and centre.
But the League needs new fans. Sustainable, long term fans.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 01:06:25 PM »
Absolutely terrible idea. Just something that doesn’t need messing with. It has to affect ST sales if locations of games are unknown - nobody wants to waste money. The notion that sending a few games to places means fans there may convert to the game is fanciful.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 01:13:16 PM »
IMO they'd be better off demystifying the laws of the game to attract the casual observer. Endless scrum resets, mauls with weird law interpretations, and a bunch of forwards arm-wrestling the ball over the line is not going to attract a new and younger audience. They'd essentially be peddling a product around the UK that no one will remember, aside from a free ticket and a p1ss up.

Scrums, mauls and forward play should absolutely be a part of the game, but the powers that be need to find a way to make the 'product' more expansive and exciting.

Nothing gets you off your seat as much as a Christian Wade receiving the ball in space. Now, even the wingers are 6'4 bruisers.

hopwood

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 02:54:38 PM »
IMO they'd be better off demystifying the laws of the game to attract the casual observer. Endless scrum resets, mauls with weird law interpretations, and a bunch of forwards arm-wrestling the ball over the line is not going to attract a new and younger audience. They'd essentially be peddling a product around the UK that no one will remember, aside from a free ticket and a p1ss up.

Scrums, mauls and forward play should absolutely be a part of the game, but the powers that be need to find a way to make the 'product' more expansive and exciting.

Nothing gets you off your seat as much as a Christian Wade receiving the ball in space. Now, even the wingers are 6'4 bruisers.

Good post Gaz.
I agree with you entirely.