Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester this weekend  (Read 1458 times)

hopwood

Worcester this weekend
« on: April 21, 2022, 07:46:13 PM »
Times preview...

Wasps v Worcester Warriors
Saturday 3pm

The reverse fixture in December ended with Worcester holding on to clinch a superb 32-31 triumph for a third consecutive win at Sixways. Times have changed.

Wasps are presently enjoying themselves after earning a Challenge Cup quarter-final against Edinburgh thanks to winning at Biarritz and went to Kingsholm in their previous Premiership outing and beat Gloucester at their own game. Vaea Fifita will be a miss when he leaves this summer, but signing Mr Incredible Vincent Koch is a masterstroke who will add further meat to a pack which even scored a lineout drive against maul masters Gloucester. And that Dan Robson drop-goal . . . phwoar.

Wasps have won their past five at the Ricoh and Worcester have not won a Premiership match away in 21 attempts — the longest active losing streak in the division. So it is a difficult task for Worcester; although probably easier than what Steve Diamond has been putting them through since their humiliating 45-10 home loss to Newcastle. That defeat means they have now conceded 101 tries this season and are only the second side in 21 years to have let in 100.

A crumb of comfort for Worcester (and I’m not even sure Jesus Christ of Nazareth himself could turn these crumbs into a feast of fortune at Sixways) is that four of the past five meetings have been decided by four points or fewer. Let’s hope for Worcester’s sake that Diamond cancelling their week off post-Newcastle was worth it.

I suppose Steve Diamond can potentially have that same instant impact that Eddie Jones had when he first arrived with England.
Lifts the tempo, toughens the training, creates a siege mentality etc etc
And it can pay dividends for a period of time.
But, I think Wasps have also elevated their game recently. Still some chinks to iron out, but I'm hoping to see a full 80 minute performance this weekend.

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester this weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 08:10:26 PM »
They were probably better watching than the dreadful 6-0 defeat at Adams Park which must be the most boring game I ever attended

Jac A

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 08:34:38 PM »
The loss against Worcester back in December was a real low point so I'm hoping and expecting that we can avenge that in some way.

Worcester may also have the Premiership Cup semi final in the back of their minds. The other three clubs are all competing (in one way or another) in the league and Europe with Worcester being the only ones with nothing else to play for so Dimes may think that if he gat get a trophy it will at least get a little bit of a winning atmosphere.  The semi is on Wednesday so that may impact their selection for this weekend. In his press release yesterday Dimes name dropped Simpson, Smith, Heward, Heale, Doel, Howe and Atkinson as likely to play against Gloucester so it might be a bit much to ask them to play bot Sat and Wed - I willbe interested to see their teamsheet tomorrow.

Worcester are also having a complete overhaul under Diamond - 12 new players coming in and quite a few off I believe so not sure how that will be affecting morale etc at the moment.

If we can get five points then everything looks a bit open and interesting - Sale have the week off, Irish miss the last weekend and we play both. Saints are missing Lawes and Biggar and have some tricky games. Play-offs are surely beyond us but we could get up to 6th which would be a good season imo.

Not sure on the 80 min performance, as people have said on other threads, a lot depends on the opposition and sometimes the rub of the green that can see you starved of the ball for long periods.

I'd like to see Mills playing against his former club but otherwise the team looks like it is working well at the moment.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 10:21:16 PM »
Could someone inform the author of The Times piece that we don't play at the Ricoh now.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 07:45:47 AM »
They were probably better watching than the dreadful 6-0 defeat at Adams Park which must be the most boring game I ever attended

2012 - A New Year's Day Cracker (NOT!!!).

Thankfully purged from the memory.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 09:23:39 AM »
I wonder if Charlie will be fit. It doesn't sound like it was as bad as feared when he came off on Friday, but if not I suppose Jimmy plays 10 and Mills comes in at 12.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 10:15:03 AM »
I wonder if Charlie will be fit. It doesn't sound like it was as bad as feared when he came off on Friday, but if not I suppose Jimmy plays 10 and Mills comes in at 12.
It was confirmed by Lee, post match, that it was only cramp.

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 10:51:56 AM »
I think Charlie will be fit and hopefully we will put a strong side out as we need to keep the momentum going for League and also Europe right through to the end of the season.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 10:59:25 AM »
It was confirmed by Lee, post match, that it was only cramp.

Strange one as he really looked like he had tweaked his knee when running back.
Hope we’re looking after that knee, eventhough he had surgery it’s never looked 100% - saying that, all the post knee op guys have a lot of strapping.
If he’s out though, surely it’s just Umaga to 10 and Crossdale in

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 11:19:35 AM »
Wasps v Worcester Warriors (Coventry Building Society Arena) – Live on PRTV, with kick-off at 3pm

Referee: Andrew Jackson

Assistant Referees: Matt Carley & Phil Watters

TMO: Craig Maxwell-Keys

Citing Officer: Shaun Gallagher

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »
Wasps v Worcester Warriors (Coventry Building Society Arena) – Live on PRTV, with kick-off at 3pm

Interesting given CMK's quotes earlier this week.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 12:00:07 PM »

Do you think he will be citing some water carriers, ours have a bit of history so better watch out!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2022, 12:02:40 PM »

Do you think he will be citing some water carriers, ours have a bit of history so better watch out!

👍👍
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 02:55:28 PM »

2012 - A New Year's Day Cracker (NOT!!!).

Thankfully purged from the memory.

Part of my soul died that day. They are probably still scraping spectators off the seats from that day.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 03:16:45 PM »
I've blanked it.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!