Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rugby tonight  (Read 933 times)

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Rugby tonight
« on: April 26, 2022, 09:47:30 PM »
Put Sean Edwards on (watching tonight, but probably Sunday’s program) and all of a sudden even Ugo can contribute to what has been a really interesting program.
And Sean even tells the RFU what they need to offer if they want to employ him post WC. Will they listen? He’s not even bothered - so he says - about having the head coach tag. Get a contract in front of him tomorrow!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rugby tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 10:49:51 PM »
It was fascinating, wasn't it.  If only we could get him back.  4 years, yes.  But do we have the dosh.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 06:59:48 AM »
Rugby tonight this week reminded me so much why I enjoyed sky’s previous offering of the rugby club, a weekly magazine show giving news, reports and insights very much like rugby tonight this week.

Yes rugby tonight can be fun, and as a player the banter and games shown on it were very much more relaxed, and in a style that most of us who have been in the club bar on a Saturday evening or on tour would recognise instantly (although very mild examples of what went on in some cases). Yet when you do it too much, the show to become irrelevant, the information and insights we crave are lost in the desire to be seen as fun and playful, and the product dilutes and loses substance.

This week they have shown that for many of us there is still massive hunger for a show that can analyse games, interview players/coaches and provide reports in a much more formalised setting, with good humour injected. And provide a product that is fascinating, and may just turn a lot more of towards tuning in weekly due to that quality. I hope they start to do this more often, expand it further, and lean towards the rugby club/magazine style and away from rugby tonight’s laddish beginnings.

With regards to Sean, the RFU need to do all they can to have him in the England set up, either as one of the leading coaches or head coach, it is a no brainer.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 07:13:12 AM »
ER ....  you just put  RFU  and 'no brainer' in the same sentence.  That's an oxymoron,  and I claim my £5.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 07:37:26 AM »
Thanks for flagging this prog up. I don’t bother watching it these days but that sounded very promising from Shaun Edwards. Surely even the RFU won’t drop the ball on this opportunity?