Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 5774 times)

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2022, 05:16:43 PM »
Before all the Wasps bashing…we had an exceptional 70 minutes.
Let’s not forget that.

Also…let’s not forget that on Page 1 of this thread I warned you about Harry Arundell and what he could potentially do.
And I was absolutely spot on.
I can see the talent….and he worried me before the game.
Josh Lewsey…Version 2.0

Amazing game of rugby.
And you know what…life is what it is. I enjoyed the first 70 minutes immensely.
I’ve loved this game. Not everything is about the result.

We’ll learn from this.
We aren’t the finished article yet.

But, yes….watch out for Harry Arundell. England’s future 15 looks sharp.
(And yes, I’ve been watching him for a while as he went to my old school).

Absolutely for the neutral it would have a been a superb game to watch. I thought the same watching the saints game on Friday, a great evenings entertainment. Today however I have watched my team butcher a massive lead, go from dominating the game to giving Irish an easy draw.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2022, 05:20:54 PM »
wasps are driving me to drink

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2022, 05:30:40 PM »
Hopwood. I’m not really interested in Arundell. I’m concerned how we threw away a 25 point lead in 20 minutes. I thought we were heading for a complete display but we’ve gone from that to a massive feeling of deflation that the squad will feel too. It’s not Wasps bashing - just the simple recognition that what we’ve done today really isn’t good enough.
Plus one. I had to go and cook dinner to calm down and try and put it in perspective.......Hard work mind.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2022, 05:45:10 PM »

If I had any drink, me too. Went to the garage, opened the door, fitted a saddlebag to my new Harley.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2022, 05:46:06 PM »

If I had any drink, me too. Went to the garage, opened the door, fitted a saddlebag to my new Harley.

Whatever floats your boat ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2022, 05:53:55 PM »
Hopwood. I’m not really interested in Arundell. I’m concerned how we threw away a 25 point lead in 20 minutes. I thought we were heading for a complete display but we’ve gone from that to a massive feeling of deflation that the squad will feel too. It’s not Wasps bashing - just the simple recognition that what we’ve done today really isn’t good enough.

It’s a forum. I’m offering my thoughts.
I don’t give 2 slices of bread if they don’t tickle your brain.
Apols - wasn’t meant as a criticism. Was just saying I’m finding it hard to focus on the merits of the opposition when we’ve just done what we’ve done.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2022, 06:08:07 PM »

Apols - wasn’t meant as a criticism. Was just saying I’m finding it hard to focus on the merits of the opposition when we’ve just done what we’ve done.

You are right. There is a difference between giving Irish the game and them being better than we could have been. Today was an utter capitulation in the last quarter. The players and coaches need to seriously look at themselves and ask why they did that, because I am at a loss to understand it.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2022, 06:49:15 PM »
I can't believe what  I saw.  Presumably Lee felt we were 'safe' but you're never 'safe' till the final whistle.  So he gave the bench a turn.  "Big mistake.  Huge."  Maybe he was saving the starter players for the next match.  Maybe the bench just relaxed, which was another big mistake.  B*****, etc.   It is very quiet here in Wonky Towers. So near, but so far off.

hopwood

« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2022, 08:02:07 PM »

You are right. There is a difference between giving Irish the game and them being better than we could have been. Today was an utter capitulation in the last quarter. The players and coaches need to seriously look at themselves and ask why they did that, because I am at a loss to understand it.

Utter capitulation is really catastrophic language.
If you actually watch a lot of Premiership games over the past 3 seasons you’ll see many good teams both winning and losing games in the final quarter.
Some of our most memorable wins have been in last quarter turnarounds, where we’ve found focus and pace in the latter stages, after the opposition have emptied their tanks.
Today, we emptied our tank too soon…and lacked the composure and clear thinking to see the game out.

Also….let’s be upstanding for an incredible young talent in Arundell. 
There’s very few players who could come off the bench and inject that much craft, pace and impact in a few minutes to change a game.
It doesn’t happen every week. Hey-ho…it happened this week.

Wasps are learning it’s an 80 minute game, whatever the circumstances.
But then again, for years….we’ve been punishing teams in exactly the same way.

It’s all a learning curve…however annoyed you all might be.
But effectively it comes down to the match to match experience and the wisdom and knowledge we have in the coaching team.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2022, 08:20:27 PM »
Wasps are learning it’s an 80 minute game, whatever the circumstances.

I am far from sure they are 'learning'. I have seen no evidence of that for a few years now.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2022, 08:29:29 PM »
The point is we shouldn’t need to learn that. It should be hard wired into every player. We didn’t have a load of 19 year olds on the field.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2022, 12:22:15 AM »
But effectively it comes down to the match to match experience and the wisdom and knowledge we have in the coaching team.

And this could be the problem - too soft, too many excuses. I wonder what Shaun Edwards would have said after that. I doubt it would have been pretty and he’s got quite a good track record…

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2022, 02:47:39 AM »
If Shaun edwards was in charge it wouldn’t have happened.

We are a club that hasn’t won anything in coming up to 15 years now. Our last two seasons have been awful.

Even the challenge cup I can’t see us doing well in, this season or next season

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2022, 09:41:42 AM »
Forgetting the last 15 minutes, looking at the last 5 seconds, where we did not get the restart off the pitch, it reminded me of France Australia test 1 last summer where, literally all the French had to do was kick the ball off the pitch having won a lineout- all they did was panic, shove bad ball back and concede a match losing pen. In many ways it was worse than  our failure. That team went on to beat the All Blacks et al in the Autumn and a Grand Slam. Losing big moments like that is frustrating, but it can happen to anyone.

More worrying was the general collapse, but that to an extent is Irish. Pretty sure Chiefs  felt the same as we robbed them 11 points down with two on the clock. Whilst every offload or back.of the hand effort did not find its mark, every chip forward bounced like they were some kind of Jedi,  sitting up perfectly. Yes, certain replacements failed, yes we probably messed up the subs, but on another day with the bounce of the ball a different way we are left cursing that we let them get a bonus point, not a draw.