Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Thoughts on the game  (Read 1075 times)

hopwood

Thoughts on the game
« on: May 07, 2022, 02:37:29 PM »
Hats off to the pack.
Absolutely spent every last drop out there.
What an effort!!

However, we really struggle off the back foot of the scrums/mauls.
We don’t seem to be in flow.

Spink was excellent considering he’s not been selected previously.
Not happy with our backs play. Not the Wasps DNA.

Very relieved with the win though.
Onwards and upwards.

hopwood

Re: Thoughts on the game
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 02:39:14 PM »
The try we scored (where everyone thinks we knocked on) actually gets knocked on by an Edinburgh player in the tackle before Stooke knocks on.
Karma.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 02:41:18 PM »
The try we scored (where everyone thinks we knocked on) actually gets knocked on by an Edinburgh player in the tackle before Stooke knocks on.
Karma.

Indeed but still not a try though!

hopwood

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 02:41:34 PM »
Everyone keeps mentioning Sarries.
Personally, I don’t think there are many teams who are consistently close to Sarries.
Annoyingly, they are a fantastic squad.

But on any given day…any remaining team can beat any remaining team.

hopwood

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 02:42:44 PM »
Karma.

Indeed but still not a try though!

I’ve just taken my beer goggles off…and of course, you’re right.
Officiating was pants.

hopwood

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 02:44:28 PM »
What a set of locks we have!
Stooke and Launchbury were imperious. 
Their work rate was off the charts.

I wonder what their heart rate monitors were showing.
Off the scale. Brad, Jack and Alfie too.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 02:59:48 PM »
Thought all the forwards were absolutely great. Oghre’s control at the maul is getting really impressive. Alo and West dominant at the scrum. The stand out for me though is Shields. Does so much “stuff”. Stooke - prem signing of the season?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 03:18:38 PM »
Thought all the forwards were absolutely great. Oghre’s control at the maul is getting really impressive. Alo and West dominant at the scrum. The stand out for me though is Shields. Does so much “stuff”. Stooke - prem signing of the season?

Agree with all that. I did think when we could put out West and Alo, that we'd be a handful at scrum time and Stooke is not only a great signing - he's taking responsibility and leading as well. Up front we are, with the Sarries TH, pretty much there. Just need game time.

In the backs - we're too often looking like we met in the car park....But then there's the first hour at LI last week....Pass....

The officiating was a little bizarre today - but, we did get a good officiating of the breakdown, maul and scrum.....the bits I usually complain about. We didn't adapt to the breakdown officiating as quickly as we might have - but improved all the time. We deserved the win, on the balance of play and if Dan is having a 'mare, we need to accept that earlier! The game management was poor. Spink and Bassett were excellent regardless and I think the experiment with the full back should end. Jacob is a better choice and provides a third 5/8th....Charlie was too anon, not sure it's a good combination with Jimmy at 12, but last week......they played really well together.

Too many brainless 5% passes, when going to ground and recycling is fine. We could have had that game, much more in the bag with a bit more game/play management. Still don't understand why we went for the lineouts even when they swapped props - we had to come away with points at the end of the first half. And if it's really not going to hand, it's better to keep possession than play for a miracle.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 05:07:22 PM »
Agree with lots on here.
Pretty sure there was lots of karma on the officiating, how they finished the first half without a yellow was beyond me even more than the obvious pen try when they did finally get one.
As I said on the other thread, we were brain dead for much of the game, whilst being much the better team in many ways. A real curate's egg.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 08:16:05 PM »

I think the change from scrums to lineout when they changed prop is because the ref would likely give them another 2 or 3 (or maybe more) scrum penalties with a new prop on.

I'd have still gone with it though