Always a Wasp

Author Topic: How bad is our 10 situation  (Read 4408 times)

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How bad is our 10 situation
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 04:12:18 PM »
There was a good interview with Spink a while ago where he said that he felt like he couldn’t speak up when he first came into the set up, similar to when you’re a young kid at school playing with the older ones. It took him a year or so to be able to know what he could say and when he could speak and how he could impose himself on proceedings,
Must be the same for Charlie, except he was straight into the first team out of school - a huge step up for him. He is playing incredibly well for his age - give him time
And yup again. I’m bored to tears with back and forth of criticism of our 10s. Atkinson is class, he just needs to grow more confident, some of that is down to him though, he has time.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 04:19:11 PM »
Isn't it more likely any problems at 10, if you can call it a problem, seems a bit of an over statement, stem from a lack of form at 9.
Robson is in shocking form, it's not Atkinsons fault he is kicking out on the full, kicking 2 meters and making terrible decisions.
Affirms how much of a clown Blackett is having told the media how Robsons back to his best..the guys playing like a drain and it took 73 mns to realise it yesterday. The statement goes a long way in explaining why we are so shit..he's clueless.
We have a coaching issue... If it weren't for our work rate or moments of individualism, we'd have lost more games than we have this season. Our coaching team is hiding behind both.
As for Atkinson, not even sure why there is a dedicated thread, the talent is clearly being coached out of him.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2022, 04:38:24 PM »
Yeah. If it weren’t for our players working hard or creating things with individual talent we’d lose a lot more. As would every other team in the world.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2022, 04:47:46 PM »
Isn't it more likely any problems at 10, if you can call it a problem, seems a bit of an over statement, stem from a lack of form at 9.
Robson is in shocking form, it's not Atkinsons fault he is kicking out on the full, kicking 2 meters and making terrible decisions.
Affirms how much of a clown Blackett is having told the media how Robsons back to his best..the guys playing like a drain and it took 73 mns to realise it yesterday. The statement goes a long way in explaining why we are so shit..he's clueless.
We have a coaching issue... If it weren't for our work rate or moments of individualism, we'd have lost more games than we have this season. Our coaching team is hiding behind both.
As for Atkinson, not even sure why there is a dedicated thread, the talent is clearly being coached out of him.

I agree with you, I think all our problems are from our coaching set up

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2022, 05:02:05 PM »
Must admit I’m a bit confused by this. Is there a problem? Since we’ve had something like a first team back we’ve been winning lots of games. Some against the table toppers and European champions. In our last seven we have gone WWWWWDW. What are we looking for? Perfection?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2022, 05:36:42 PM »
In our last seven we have gone WWWWWDW. What are we looking for? Perfection?

I mean I'd ignore the prem rugby cup games because nobody takes those seriously. But you're right, 2 away wins in Europe pretty good, away win at Gloucester is very good, and home wins against Newcastle and Worcester.

I feel there's something missing that stops us getting the top 4 in the league, which is what I think we should be aiming for. If we could match teams like Leicester and Saracens I'd be happy.

Also last season was far more open and loose in play, where as this season we're tighter, but less creative. Might be we find a balance next season.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2022, 05:37:49 PM »
I think that the issue is confidence of the 9/10 and execution of the plays.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2022, 05:56:07 PM »
Must admit I’m a bit confused by this. Is there a problem? Since we’ve had something like a first team back we’ve been winning lots of games. Some against the table toppers and European champions. In our last seven we have gone WWWWWDW. What are we looking for? Perfection?

I quite agree. There are some posters on here who have a dig at the coaching staff every opportunity they get. They give an opinion and phrase it as fact. Here is a prime example "As for Atkinson, not even sure why there is a dedicated thread, the talent is clearly being coached out of him."
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2022, 06:46:26 PM »
After seeing the tries we scored, if we had an attack as good as our forwards we'd be a top 4 team easily. So strange seeing us with a dominant forward pack but inconsistent attack.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2022, 06:50:38 PM »

Any coaching issue could easily be consistency.
I'm not sure the exact dates, but Mitchell only joined this season and has already switched roles.
When did Everard step up to defence coach? Was that this season? And now he's attack coach.

That's going to be a lot of different ideas across 2 seasons.
And, if Mitchell was offering defence advice while he was attack coach, there could even be a mixture of messages there too.

Ultimately, we've gone from a team not playing that well and losing, to a team not that playing much better, but winning.
That might be luck rather than design, but it's definitely an improvement.

Lee's limited head coach experience is being put to the test over the last 2 seasons. Can he learn to right any mistakes and issues?

There can be no excuses next season, he'll have had time, signings and a full off season with his coaching team

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2022, 09:11:19 PM »
I don’t really see the argument that’s been put forward elsewhere that Dan’s form is a result of Atkinson - he was fine last week.

But you could say that about anything.

It can't be the coaching because he played well last week.

It can't be psychological because he played well last week.

It can't be his personal form because he played well last week...

Clearly it is something, and yet he played well last week.  So I'm going with either poor game plan selection, or poor on field communication.  Either way it is a problem for the coaching team to fix.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2022, 09:26:01 PM »
I have an off the wall thought about Charlie. If he bulks out a bit he could end up at 12. He’s brave and with a bit more weight his defensive tackling will improve, he likes running to the gain line, but doesn’t have the bulk to break tackles and he’s got some good distribution when he needs it. 

(Now ducking expecting the same incoming when I suggested Paulo might work at 13 😁)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2022, 09:37:26 PM »
I’m definitely not saying Charlie will not be a good 10, maybe even a very good one.

He just isn’t one now, he is only 20 years old he needs 2/3 years and ideally help from an experienced 10

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2022, 10:01:23 PM »
I have an off the wall thought about Charlie. If he bulks out a bit he could end up at 12. He’s brave and with a bit more weight his defensive tackling will improve, he likes running to the gain line, but doesn’t have the bulk to break tackles and he’s got some good distribution when he needs it. 

(Now ducking expecting the same incoming when I suggested Paulo might work at 13 😁)

That would give us a 10 that plays full back, and a 10 that plays inside centre.

We could do with a 10 that plays fly half

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2022, 10:07:50 PM »
Well we had a centre who once played 10 (Hendo).
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!