Always a Wasp

Author Topic: How bad is our 10 situation  (Read 4425 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How bad is our 10 situation
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2022, 10:45:32 PM »
I have an off the wall thought about Charlie. If he bulks out a bit he could end up at 12. He’s brave and with a bit more weight his defensive tackling will improve, he likes running to the gain line, but doesn’t have the bulk to break tackles and he’s got some good distribution when he needs it. 

(Now ducking expecting the same incoming when I suggested Paulo might work at 13 😁)

That would give us a 10 that plays full back, and a 10 that plays inside centre.

We could do with a 10 that plays fly half

We have a 9 that plays fly half.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2022, 09:06:20 AM »
I know we can’t change this season but we can’t denial it’s a big problem for us.

I really do think Charlie has the potential to be a very good 10 but not for another 2/3 years.

I appreciate we have the young lad from Newcastle coming next season but again it’s not going to solve the problem next season, great in 2/3 seasons.

This is going to sound sarcastic, but is a genuine question.  If Charlie and Will are going to be good/great in 2-3 seasons.  How do they do that if they're not playing much because we've brought in a new, first-choice 10 and so they're only able to play when that player is injured, in Prem Cup/A-League and/or a handful of minutes here and there?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2022, 09:20:42 AM »
I feel there's something missing that stops us getting the top 4 in the league, which is what I think we should be aiming for. If we could match teams like Leicester and Saracens I'd be happy.
[/quote]

Remind me how our most recent league games against each of those 2 went...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2022, 09:40:12 AM »
I feel there's something missing that stops us getting the top 4 in the league, which is what I think we should be aiming for. If we could match teams like Leicester and Saracens I'd be happy.

[/quote]

Strangely teams found to have been serial cheaters.
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2022, 10:19:47 AM »
That's very harsh on Tigers, I think.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2022, 10:34:29 AM »

Why harsh - 5 seasons found to be exceeding the cap - to just under the points deductible limit?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2022, 11:11:44 AM »

Why harsh - 5 seasons found to be exceeding the cap - to just under the points deductible limit?

4 seasons - biggest overrun was £147k the smallest was £56k (Threshold from overspend fine > bigger penalties was £325k/£350k.  Fine for non-disclosure of the image rights in 2020/21 but even with the image rights payments added in, they weren't over the cap.

It's not like they were signing world-class talent to their squad year on year claiming that there's something special happening at Tigers and everyone wants to play for them for less money because of how special it is...

Wonder how Manu's never-ending injury issues impacted them as well as Tom Youngs missing for chunks to care for his Wife.    If the latter was paid during his absence (as would be understandable in the circumstances), you're quickly getting up to £500-£600k of Salary Spend for players not playing vs £400k injury dispensation (for the whole squad over a season), you can kind of see where £56k-£147k gets eaten up - And that's after image rights added back in (The amount of which per season has never been publically declared).

Funny how with Manu gone, the next season they're under the cap even with the image rights payments in 2020/21.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2022, 11:30:30 AM »

4 seasons - biggest overrun was £147k the smallest was £56k (Threshold from overspend fine > bigger penalties was £325k/£350k.  Fine for non-disclosure of the image rights in 2020/21 but even with the image rights payments added in, they weren't over the cap.

It's not like they were signing world-class talent to their squad year on year claiming that there's something special happening at Tigers and everyone wants to play for them for less money because of how special it is...

Wonder how Manu's never-ending injury issues impacted them as well as Tom Youngs missing for chunks to care for his Wife.    If the latter was paid during his absence (as would be understandable in the circumstances), you're quickly getting up to £500-£600k of Salary Spend for players not playing vs £400k injury dispensation (for the whole squad over a season), you can kind of see where £56k-£147k gets eaten up - And that's after image rights added back in (The amount of which per season has never been publically declared).

Funny how with Manu gone, the next season they're under the cap even with the image rights payments in 2020/21.

OK 4 season but still cheating despite the ineptitude of it. Allowed the to build somewhat.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2022, 11:44:51 AM »

OK 4 season but still cheating despite the ineptitude of it. Allowed the to build somewhat.

Didn't we also get fined for breaches in that period?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2022, 11:47:23 AM »
I don’t really see the argument that’s been put forward elsewhere that Dan’s form is a result of Atkinson - he was fine last week.

But you could say that about anything.

It can't be the coaching because he played well last week.

It can't be psychological because he played well last week.

It can't be his personal form because he played well last week...

Clearly it is something, and yet he played well last week.  So I'm going with either poor game plan selection, or poor on field communication.  Either way it is a problem for the coaching team to fix.
Is it clearly something? Has he just had a couple of bad games? The guy is human. I think we’re looking for deep seated problems where there might be a simple explanation. Some are absolutely convinced our coaches are not up to it - what is that certainty based on?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2022, 11:56:31 AM »

Didn't we also get fined for breaches in that period?

Yes but we had no problem with it - ie didn't hide it. Ours was associated,  as I remember, payments to do with England players funding. Something like Haskell being injured and not playing so the funding claimed was thus us over.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2022, 01:20:19 PM »
I know we can’t change this season but we can’t denial it’s a big problem for us.

I really do think Charlie has the potential to be a very good 10 but not for another 2/3 years.

I appreciate we have the young lad from Newcastle coming next season but again it’s not going to solve the problem next season, great in 2/3 seasons.

This is going to sound sarcastic, but is a genuine question.  If Charlie and Will are going to be good/great in 2-3 seasons.  How do they do that if they're not playing much because we've brought in a new, first-choice 10 and so they're only able to play when that player is injured, in Prem Cup/A-League and/or a handful of minutes here and there?

Yes but not every week, play some games come on from the bench. I don't think it is actually doing charlie any favours, especially his confidents 

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2022, 01:23:31 PM »
Top four is a red herring at the best of times. Thus season doubly so. Back in November we were close to selecting the crowd so bereft of players were we.
We lost matches we should have won.

We have top 4 form since Jan. That does not mean all is well as many issues plague the team, and top 4, as I have said repeatedly, is miles off top of the pile.  We won the other day but were brain dead. I will take that over losing and playing  like a dog's arse. Issues remain, but our league position reflects the whole year, not the last 4 months, where we have lost 4 or 5 games in all events, one a month on average.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2022, 01:43:58 PM »

Apologies, I meant in terms of overall league performance, not 1 on 1 matches.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2022, 01:47:39 PM »
Strangely teams found to have been serial cheaters.

Jesus Christ you really cannot avoid the salary cap being brought up here can you? I respect where you're coming from, but it gets super repetitive.