Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lyon v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 5674 times)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lyon v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2022, 06:32:42 PM »
Good call, Wonky. I agree that he should be our starting 8.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2022, 06:43:45 PM »
Agree about Crossdale. He’s a natural fullback. The talk is that he’s weaker defensively - maybe, but for me he’s a step up on Umaga and Kibirige and is better in the air. Our back three really is on the periphery at the moment and need to make an impact. Odogwu for Hougaard v Sale for me.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2022, 06:46:10 PM »
So Alfie on the bench is crazy, Alfie is only 21, Tom is 23. Alfie will get a full preseason this summer and will likely make big improvements.

Tom is a very good, but Alfie will get us more yards and more trys

If we had a 10 and 15 with a decent centre pairing we would be very difficult to beat

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2022, 07:02:41 PM »
We do have. These guys are giving their all. At 10 we have someone who is just out of school and will be banking these experiences like gold. At 15 we have talent but no solidity. 12, yes, but the guy is still a legend and at 13 you’ve got a capped All Black. It’s not quite clicking - that’s all.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2022, 07:10:22 PM »
I hope Wasps' coaches have ALL players doing intensive opposed passing practice this week. Our inability to pass accurately and catch under pressure (even not under pressure sometimes) is woeful. That is a likely factor in not creating attacking space or finishing off moves. That includes forwards as well as backs.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2022, 07:46:59 PM »
We do have. These guys are giving their all. At 10 we have someone who is just out of school and will be banking these experiences like gold. At 15 we have talent but no solidity. 12, yes, but the guy is still a legend and at 13 you’ve got a capped All Black. It’s not quite clicking - that’s all.
+1

We got into position to win the game but in the two key points after HT where we could have extended our lead, we managed to foul up due to choices rather than personnel.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2022, 07:55:24 PM »

Shugs I don’t care if he has just come out of school, all I’m interested in is he good enough. So next season are our excuses that our fly half’s are young and they need more experience. We can’t keep waiting for players to get experience whilst losing important games.

We need to have a winning team now, we’ve been waiting for years, or are we just a club who just accepts Mediocrity.

I thought moving to Coventry was to make us great again. Waiting for Atkinson for another 2/3 years while we win nothing is not going to cut it

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2022, 08:11:49 PM »
Which is precisely why I keep banging on about Tom Willis sitting on the bench and not starting.  It is such a WASTE of experience and talent.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2022, 08:17:07 PM »
Which is precisely why I keep banging on about Tom Willis sitting on the bench and not starting.  It is such a WASTE of experience and talent.

So who sits on the bench

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2022, 08:29:24 PM »

So who sits on the bench

For the sake of controversial opinions:
6. Barbeary
7. Jack
8. Tom

That's a back row I'd want in the near future, otherwise Tom might be off. Shields is class, but when you have 2 really talented back rowers, I'd want to transition to them first.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2022, 08:34:30 PM »
  Who would be sitting on the bench as  replacement 8?  Neither Tom nor Alfie.  Tim Cardall?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2022, 08:38:45 PM »

Shugs I don’t care if he has just come out of school, all I’m interested in is he good enough. So next season are our excuses that our fly half’s are young and they need more experience. We can’t keep waiting for players to get experience whilst losing important games.

We need to have a winning team now, we’ve been waiting for years, or are we just a club who just accepts Mediocrity.

I thought moving to Coventry was to make us great again. Waiting for Atkinson for another 2/3 years while we win nothing is not going to cut it
We may not need excuses next year.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2022, 08:41:54 PM »

So who sits on the bench

For the sake of controversial opinions:
6. Barbeary
7. Jack
8. Tom

That's a back row I'd want in the near future, otherwise Tom might be off. Shields is class, but when you have 2 really talented back rowers, I'd want to transition to them first.

How many teams actually get to play their "first choice" back row week in week out, isn't depth / rotation the key need.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2022, 08:42:12 PM »
We have won nothing for 14 seasons now.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2022, 08:45:20 PM »
PS . . . with absolutely NO grounds whatsoever and this is entirely my own thoughts  -  if we leave Tom as a replacement continually we will lose him.  He has played magnificently this season, and will be even better next season.  If we don't use him other clubs will be queueing up with contracts and pens.  As I said, I have no insider info or knowledge; it is entirely my own feelings, and no. I am not his grandma.