Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lyon v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 5804 times)

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lyon v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2022, 03:19:24 PM »
Jack is back to his best. Atkinson had his best game for a while. Dan had a better game. For a long time we looked in control, but not taking any points in those first 15 minutes, and then knocking it on over the line, sort of sums up our season really. Close but not enough.

Up front I still think Tom should start. We competed well but at times we looked quite underpowered.

Jimmy was quite poor I thought, as was Fekitoa. Neither Umaga or Kibirige are top level 15s, I don't get the selection logic there. I thought we missed Paolo's physicality.

Ultimately we're a good team, we just aren't accurate enough

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2022, 03:23:46 PM »
I thought apart from one silly drop Fekitoa did OK. I think our problem was 12. I’d have bought Spink on for Fekitoa after 60-65 to freshen it up. Will be interesting to see who wears 13 v Sale. I’d definitely start Odogwu at 14.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2022, 03:23:51 PM »
Umaga seems to of developed a wobbly foot when kicking.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2022, 03:33:38 PM »
Firstly let me state I don't like plastic pitches. However I wonder at times when playing on one that the old adage of never let the ball bounce, be ignored and instead of taking it on the full, let it bounce and see what happens. There was one time today when Lyon kicked deep and Jacob took it on the full about 10 metres or so out from our line. The kick seemed to have a somewhat low trajectory and, from the TV at least, there didn't seem to be much of a kick chase. In that circumstance why not let it bounce and see if it rolls dead? There was another case, though the ball had a higher trajectory and it could also have rolled dead. However in all cases the defender must be prepared to deal with an unexpected bounce. Just a thought.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2022, 03:40:42 PM »
Ross,

Was the 2nd one when Zack got in to a bit of a mess? Poor communication on that on and I think you have an interesting point.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 03:49:26 PM »
We had the opportunities and showed in the first half that we are able to deliver on game management - something that was working for us all the way to when we ought to have scored, early-ish in the second half. Only to lose possession and concede.

We got white line fever (twice?) when doing the basics/dull but lower risk was the better option than "trying a London Irish" so to speak. Whilst questions may well be asked of the coaches - my main questions being a) why change the fullback to one who you know isn't invested in the position b) why wait so long to get Tom on and c) ditto Spink. But the team on the pitch had a range of experienced players, many internationals, all of whom ought to be contributing to game management decisions and on field "attitude". We were similarly gormless in the top two inches vs LI. It's something that needs to be sorted otherwise, we're going to carry on making poor decisions. I struggle to believe the coaches haven't made clear how they want to play. But there is something lacking when we keep pissing on our own chips....

Looking forwards - there are positives. We do have more than just the bones of an excellent pack but we really need to think about how we want to play next season and start to look to play such a style. Watching Leinster, I know they are packed with class....but they have a certain confidence that comes from understanding when to stop and reset and when to go. We're not even in the blocks too often. And we really ought to be able to play within a narrower parameter, if that's going to work.....Otherwise, we're in danger, going forwards, of having a good pack and too often, too little to show for it....

Sting

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2022, 04:04:27 PM »
Joe, needs to take a good look I'm the mirror.
I'm not talking about his commitment, nor his work rate, nor his ball carrying, but his on field leadership.
Too many games this season we have suffered from poor game management, questionable on field decisions and a lack of ability to finish off our opponents. We need an on field captain who is voiciferous, manages the ref, manages the players and motivates on field.
Joe is an icon.and a legend but is it time for him to handover the Captain's armband?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 04:07:01 PM »
Joe, needs to take a good look I'm the mirror.
I'm not talking about his commitment, nor his work rate, nor his ball carrying, but his on field leadership.
Too many games this season we have suffered from poor game management, questionable on field decisions and a lack of ability to finish off our opponents. We need an on field captain who is voiciferous, manages the ref, manages the players and motivates on field.
Joe is an icon.and a legend but is it time for him to handover the Captain's armband?

Yes - and he might play with a more free attitude.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:27:14 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2022, 04:22:21 PM »
Yes.

Give it to Brad Shields with Jack Willis as his deputy. And make Burger defence captain.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2022, 04:42:11 PM »
Ross,

Was the 2nd one when Zack got in to a bit of a mess? Poor communication on that on and I think you have an interesting point.

It may have been. I didn't think that Zach actually needed to grab at it so quickly. It was almost immediately after he came on.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2022, 05:00:00 PM »
Part of me thinks, whats the point playing in the European games. The laws are so against the premiership sides.

Sarries are the only team who can get close to winning it, as I still can’t see how you can have itoje, Farrell, George and the vunipola brothers combining nearly 2m between them.

We play to much rugby in the premiership, we should just send a 2nd string team out and just concentrate on the premiership. What’s the point playing against Leinster

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 05:18:33 PM »
I watched it, then went out on my motorbike.

Loads of positives there. The lads played more like a team that had at least trained together. A lot of knock-ons, but ...

Lyon had the depth of talent and it showed, especially in the backs.

We desperately need someone who is reliable at kicking at 9, 10 and 15, with no sign of that being fixed short or medium term.

I would much prefer Spink over Fekitoa, so next year I don't judge that a bad thing to look forward to.

Neither Jacob or Zach are full backs.

As someone else said, our backs are going to need a lot of work. Maybe that will work out ...

Happy with our performance though.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2022, 05:27:03 PM »
We will have to play out of our skins to beat Sale next week, to have any chance of qualifying for the HC next season.

We have weaknesses in the squad, largely in the backs.

Fly half and full back are the major concerns. Jacob is not a FB - he has to focus on playing at Fly Half. Which raises the question who gets the pick at 10 - Jacob or Charlie?

Centres with Oodendaal arriving should be OK with Spink/Paolo in the 13 shirt. Will Mills be even fit to play?

Our performances at full back have been woeful at times. We have only looked secure when Crossdale played there. Our fielding of the high ball and ditto tackling in that position, has been way below standard.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2022, 06:09:16 PM »
We pose very little threat in the backs. Crossdale has pace and balance. He should be played now to improve his defence.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2022, 06:09:22 PM »
A small (and not unbiased) thought occurs to me.  Many folk put Jack forward as a future Captain, but why not Tom?  He has been International  and has Captained the junior English teams several times  -  and with success too.  Certainly has the potential.  And I agree about Brad and Joe.