Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who are your starting centres next season?  (Read 1046 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Who are your starting centres next season?
« on: May 15, 2022, 09:05:34 PM »
I've seen discussions about centres we with, those that are leaving and those that are joining.

Going into next season, based on who we currently have, who would you start?

My understanding of who we have are:

12: Odendaal, Hartley, Mills, Simonds
13: Spink, Odogwu, Le Bourgeois

Might have got a couple in the incorrect position...

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Who are your starting centres next season?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 09:12:05 PM »
Based on who we have available probably -

12 Simonds
13 Spink

Odendaal looks like an October arrival so discounted for the start. Mills - who knows whether here or unfit.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 09:22:24 PM »
Once he arrives I like the look of Odendaal at 12 with Spink at 13. Odogwu at 14 for me covering 13 if needed. And Hartley until Odendaal arrives if Mills is not fit/left.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »
I’m always sympathetic to players, it’s a tough life even if it’s one they enjoy, but if Spink isn’t  in a position to play regularly by the start of next season it’s time for him to find another career. 

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 10:05:21 PM »

I'll go with Abbott / Waters

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 10:44:39 PM »
I’m always sympathetic to players, it’s a tough life even if it’s one they enjoy, but if Spink isn’t  in a position to play regularly by the start of next season it’s time for him to find another career.

Do you mean Mills?
Spink has undoubtedly had a lot of niggles but has largely been unaffected by injury over the last 6 months or so, similar to both Barbeary and Porter who have also stayed niggle free - we must have changed something with their conditioning, the next one to keep looked after is Simonds,

If you meant Mills then I totally  agree. Assume he has been given a new contract this year too.

Jac A

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 11:18:47 PM »
I'm going to stick up for Ryan Mills a bit.

He's missed a huge amount of game time for since he joined us but almost all of that was part of one big injury. Since he returned in Jan, he had a knock in a game and an illness but as far as I know hasn't featured on the unavailable list since the end of March - it's just that we have gone with Gopperth at 12 - possibly for the reliability of place kicking - and had more versatile bench options.

Prior to joining us he averaged 19 games a season in his time with Worcester - our only centre who has played 19 games or more this year is Jimmy.

Unfortunately for Ryan I think that he now has a rep that any injury or niggle he gets will be classed as 'typical Mills, injured again' rather than allowing him to start afresh after a particularly bad injury that took almost 15 months to recover from.

I think that we have decent options at centre though I'll admit that if Odendaal isn't expected until October that's a pain in the bum as he and Spink would be a fantastic defensive centre pairing and would be my first choice. I do think we need another 13 though as I don't want to see Bassett there again.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 11:24:48 PM »
Ngl I'm excited by Hartley. Not the complete package, but coming off the bench he'd get some experience. Looks ver promising.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 06:43:42 AM »
I'm going to stick up for Ryan Mills a bit.

He's missed a huge amount of game time for since he joined us but almost all of that was part of one big injury. Since he returned in Jan, he had a knock in a game and an illness but as far as I know hasn't featured on the unavailable list since the end of March - it's just that we have gone with Gopperth at 12 - possibly for the reliability of place kicking - and had more versatile bench options.

Prior to joining us he averaged 19 games a season in his time with Worcester - our only centre who has played 19 games or more this year is Jimmy.

Unfortunately for Ryan I think that he now has a rep that any injury or niggle he gets will be classed as 'typical Mills, injured again' rather than allowing him to start afresh after a particularly bad injury that took almost 15 months to recover from.

I think that we have decent options at centre though I'll admit that if Odendaal isn't expected until October that's a pain in the bum as he and Spink would be a fantastic defensive centre pairing and would be my first choice. I do think we need another 13 though as I don't want to see Bassett there again.
We definitely need another 13. But if the plan is for Odogwu to play there more that gives us more options as we have more prospects coming through who could play 14 - as well as theoretically Watson and Kibirige if they’re here. At 12 I think we’ll get games and consistency out of Odendaal. After that Hartley is really exciting and hopefully we’ll see more of him. In that context Mills becomes a bonus if retained and fit - albeit an expensive luxury to carry in a squad.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 09:39:15 AM »
It could well be Mills and Odendaal once the latter arrives. I think (hope) Mills will see more game time next year at 12, but 13 will be up for grabs depending on preseason. I know Paolo wants to play there more, and between him and Spink I think we have Premiership quality.