Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Time to stand up!  (Read 940 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Time to stand up!
« on: May 18, 2022, 09:19:15 PM »
2 games to go, two fixtures against high quality teams packed with talent and ability, equally led by coaches that are fantastic in themselves!

This is not an easy task.

Yet if our boys want to be taken seriously as professional individuals, importantly show strength as a team and even more so as a club heading towards sustained success and silverware in years to come this IS the moment to show it!

It starts Friday, our last game for the season at the CBS. Make a statement in front of our home support and take care of the Sharks who carry a bite worthy of any great white and that journey begins!

Then move to Leicester for the final game of the regular season with arguably the hardest of tests this year and make a statement.

Leicester may go on to lift the title this year, and if they do, no-one would begrudge them it, they have been class throughout! Powerful, aggressive and fully deserving to be crowned champions! They are back, and the league is all the better for it!

But for us, a victory at Welford road may be quickly forgotten by others, indeed as the pages turn over from the Sunday supplements, everyone who does not wear the black and gold will forget it quickly. But that matters not, because it will be remembered by us...and by "us" I mean the players, the coaches, the backroom staff, the employees and every one of the fans. There is a saying from Ireland "Team of Us". Its time we adopted the same! Every single one of us is a Wasp! 2 wins from the last 2 games will get us into the Heineken Cup, and even though others in the wider rugby community will rightly focus on the play-offs and final, we will remember the achievement of our lads as they dug deep and got us to the start of a brighter future!

Let everyone else focus on their teams success and let us focus on starting a journey that will lead to our own!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Time to stand up!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 11:23:58 PM »
I think we'll need a bigger boat at Welford Road.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 06:47:20 AM »
Realistically if we need anything going to Tigers we have a problem. I think it boils down to we need to get more points from our game v Sale than they do away at Bath. I can see Bath winning but we’re not great v Sale although we do now have a chance of matching their physicality.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 10:29:35 AM »
My predictions:

Exeter will lose at Bristol tomorrow night. Bristol's last home game, big crowd at Ashton Gate, Exeter on a poor run; and again at home to Quins on the final weekend.  If they pick up a bonus point here and there then they might get to 63/64 points, but that's their lot.

Irish will lose at Bath on Saturday.  Bath's last home game, desperate to avoid the indignity of last place against an Irish side who played 100 mins+ on Tuesday night.  That leaves Irish on 62 at best and no game on the final weekend.

Wasps to get the BP win against Sale tomorrow to take them to 65 ahead of both of the above.

Sale will get the BP win at home to Bristol on the final weekend, taking them to 66, and leaving Wasps needing a BP at Welford Rd to finish 6th, ahead of Sale on wins.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 10:47:33 AM »
We only need to finish 8th, don't we? But I don't see it happening. We've blown our chances and only have ourselves to blame, but thems the breaks.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 10:47:41 AM »
Realistically if we need anything going to Tigers we have a problem. I think it boils down to we need to get more points from our game v Sale than they do away at Bath. I can see Bath winning but we’re not great v Sale although we do now have a chance of matching their physicality.

Totally
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 01:34:23 PM »
We only need to finish 8th, don't we? But I don't see it happening. We've blown our chances and only have ourselves to blame, but thems the breaks.

We still have one big chance to do something about it tomorrow night.  That Sale side looks very strong, but our recent home form is not to be sniffed as, and I can't imagine Sale fans are currently feeling any more optimistic than we are.  Win tomorrow, and I think we're just about there in terms of top 8, with Irish and Exeter both likely to drop points somewhere along the line.  Lose tomorrow and top 8 is most definitely gone.

I think Irish will be the team to miss out.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 02:23:13 PM »
My predictions:

Irish will lose at Bath on Saturday.  Bath's last home game, desperate to avoid the indignity of last place against an Irish side who played 100 mins+ on Tuesday night.  That leaves Irish on 62 at best and no game on the final weekend.

Bath may be desperate but that's not the way to bet. Their defence is dreadful, when it bothers to turn up, and they're up against one of the best trying scoring attacks in the league. Yes, Irish played on Tuesday but they also know its their last match of the season so only need one last effort. And remember how we played better when we were playing 2 games a week?