Always a Wasp

Author Topic: BB- 10 Players who could leave  (Read 1701 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BB- 10 Players who could leave
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 06:39:52 AM »
Inevitable but sad for a few of those. I’d be looking to keep Carr and Morris - they would be big losses.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 07:04:28 AM »
I really hope Morris stays but somewhere like Ealing also provides an additional opportunity these days.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 07:18:31 AM »
10 sounds like a lot, but when you go through the list one by one, it all makes perfect sense.

So this would free up a big bag of dosh - do you think some of this will be re-invested in say 3 more ‘names’?

CV2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 07:34:42 AM »
Out of all them the only one I would be disappointed in losing would be Carr.

I know we are well stocked in the back row but we will need cover if/when Barbeary and J.Willis are on England duty. Especially if Gaskell (as a 6 option) and Morris are off too.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 07:51:18 AM »

Am I right in saying that our back row options are

Shields
Jack Willis
Tom Willis
Alfie
Thomas Young
Carr
Morris
Curran

With Young leaving at the end of the season, if Carr was to go too, who would be the open side cover for Jack when he's away with England, tired, injured?

It's gotta mean that someone is coming in

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 07:51:44 AM »
With the fringe players potentially leaving I'd expect the funds to be reinvested in a decent winger/fullback and the rest to be academy inclusions. E.g. Alfie Bell.

Whilst they've been great players over the years, I don't think we'd miss many, and it gives opportunity to our thriving academy.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 07:57:02 AM »
I wouldn't want to lose either  Nemo or Ben Morris, and I'm sorry that Jeffery (?spelling)  is leaving.  Ben has for me always been much under-rated  and under-valued;  I hope he stays.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 08:25:58 AM »
Certainly a couple of keepers on that list, and a couple who have not shone in recent times.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 08:26:39 AM »
I don’t think Morris will leave and I definitely don’t think Nemo will be off.
Nemo was class in the cup games and must be frustrated at a lack of gametime but potentially he is just being well managed through his year of rugby with out a break and last month through Ramadan.
An injury to Shields and Willis T/Barbeary (and with Fifita off) and we’re screwed without Carr. He’s been unlucky that everyone’s stayed fit for a while.
Morris never plays badly either, a perfect squad man!
Curran should play more next year, and Pichardie and then Fisilau/Cripps/Tunney will all be fighting it out for the next spot - potentially all in the 7 shirt eventually (maybe a few 6.5s)

Definitely need a shake up with the backs, probably time for all mentioned to go and free up some cash.

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 08:38:35 AM »
If Booj does go, I would like to thank him for remaining fit and available when everyone else was dropping like flies.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 08:40:18 AM »
I'll be sorry to see Nemo gone, ditto Morris and I hope as supporters we appreciate the efforts put in - I'll always value MleB's efforts when he went from a bit part player to virtually only centre standing and had to - for me anyway - learn on the job.

It's probably a moment when we can perhaps, "clear the decks" slightly and move on. I do think FB is an issue, though Jacob has looked better and more confident at 15 and more of a leader in the team. How that's going to work out will be interesting.

But, we are lacking strength in the back three and it's the area where I think the main improvements can be made such that they impact the team. It's such an important unit and you can see from England just how it can go wrong even with all those players to choose from....(see the selection vs France in 2022 vs 2021) We can rely upon Josh, but haven't really had a unit for some time. Zach hasn't gone well this season and is no FB.....and we lack threat.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 08:44:00 AM »
I would actually be quite miffed (angry?) if either of Nemo or Ben were to leave. Both have much still to offer us and thinking of them popping up somewhere against us would be difficult.

The rest on the list either are heavily rumoured or deserve a last chance somewhere else.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 10:01:58 AM »
Agree with what’s been said above I expect Carr and Morris to stay. Also, on the cash scenario I don’t think the correlation between announcements of leavers and availability of cash is correct. Blackett and his team would have known for ages who was going so for instance cash from Minozzi may well have already been used to secure Koch. I do think we must have a bit of availability under the cap though looking at the likely list of leavers.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 10:10:03 AM »
There's little or nothing in the way of firm evidence to support the idea that any of those may be leaving (aside from those presented as leaving at the awards do).  There are rumours of Gaskell to Japan and the possibility of Minozzi returning to Italy would be understandable.  The rest are pure conjecture.

That leaves MLB, Carr, Miller, Morris and Watson.  While there's an argument to say all might be leaving due to lack of game time, there is for most of them an even stronger argument that they are unlikely to have any offers on the table from elsewhere that would provide any more game time than they are getting currently at Wasps (Carr perhaps the exception).  If any of those are out of contract with Wasps in the summer then they may even find themselves without a club.  The harsh reality of life as a professional rugby player as clubs have to cut the payroll to comply with the reduced cap.