Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Our Backs  (Read 3300 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Our Backs
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 05:57:59 PM »
It takes two to tango. It is significant that both sides wanted to play positive, attacking rugby this afternoon. Sale must be the most negative side in the Prem. But you know what you get from them. We still let them tie us up in an arm wrestle which we were never going to win.

Given how we played when we were slick in backs - not that long ago, even with our pack being second best, we would still have beaten Sale last night.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 06:12:18 PM »

I've said it before, but this is the kind of adversity that Lee and co need to show they can fix it.

It's sometimes very difficult to fix things mid season

Lee now has a full summer, pre-season and new signings to fix whatever issues he's identified and build a new approach.

We may or may not be looking for a new full back, but I think it's largely irrelevant.
Our back 3 options are pretty average, but it the half backs and centres are winning their battles a new full back alone isn't going to fix anything.

We're going into next season with Dan Robson still being first choice. Hopefully a few quiet months and a nice holiday will see him come back refreshed next season.

Charlie will have learnt a lot from this season and can use the Summer to fully absorb it.
Likewise Jacob should have developed by playing full back and fly half and will hopefully be able to kick on next season too.

Worryingly, it sounds like Odendaal won't have a pre season or any downtime and will join us after the start of the season.
That likely sees us relying on Mills being fit at the start. If nothing else, for him personally, I hope that's the case.
Unless we come up trumps with a big signing at outside centre, it would seem like it's Spinks shirt for next year. Good luck to him.

The back 3 likely sees Josh as the first name on the sheet, but if for no other reason than we have no outstanding alternatives, Mehson should get a lot of game time.
Him and Odogwu fighting for the 14 shirt will hopefully improve them both.

Anyone's guess what happens at full back, but as said at the start, it's probably irrelevant if the rest of the backs aren't greatly improved upon this season

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2022, 06:39:50 PM »
I think Spink starts at 13, maybe Odogwu. We definitely need a new body at 13 as we only have those 2. 12 looks done with Odendaal, Hartley and Mills.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2022, 07:14:48 PM »

If Odendaal is going to be the kind of inside centre who will run straight and make breaks / half breaks, then I would really love us to have a full back capable of running supporting lines and knowing when to do so.

When we were attacking well, we often used to overload an opposition defence by making a break and/or have 3 runners hit a channel.

If we can get a full back to support the attack and be an extra man when line breaks are made we'd be well on our way to solving some of our problems

(Obviously breaking the gain line isn't always that easy)

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2022, 07:33:01 PM »
Just watch Quins v Gloucester, hell our 10,12,13 and 15 are not at all close to Quins, also I have to say our coaching set up.

At half time quins work out the problem and sort it out

Nowhere near Glaws backs either - having had a more than decent season and coached by Wasps old boys....
Nor Sarries and Saints! Their backs both looked good today.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2022, 07:58:25 PM »
Looking at our backs last night one word sprang to mind in terms of what we were missing - dangerous pace. I think at least one winger has to be a complete speedster - we only have one - Odogwu. Neither Jimmy or Fekitoa trouble anyone with speed and Dan and Charlie are nippy but not greased lightning. Crossdale has a turn of foot but not enough to go outside many. Even if you don’t use it all the time it forces the opposition to consider the danger.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2022, 08:24:58 PM »
I'd like to rely on academy backs, but in addition to experience they need the best teachers and I just don't think we have.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2022, 08:32:11 PM »
To help the backs we also need Dan fully firing as a threat at 9, that interests forwards around the fringes meaning they can't just spread and drift out to defend the backs. Likes of De Klerk, Care, Mitchell, Gibson-Park, Dupont, Quirke, Randall etc all are constant threats themselves meaning others have more time and space.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2022, 09:24:51 PM »
We need faster ruck speed, quick and accurate delivery from the base and backs passing in front of team mates running good lines at pace who can take the ball without breaking stride.

At the moment we are incapable of all of that, which is why we have no attacking threat. It's up to the coaches to create training scenarios where that is done at speed and under pressure and practiced until it becomes second nature.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:37:22 PM by Mellie »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 09:13:33 AM »
We need faster ruck speed, quick and accurate delivery from the base and backs passing in front of team mates running good lines at pace who can take the ball without breaking stride.

At the moment we are incapable of all of that, which is why we have no attacking threat. It's up to the coaches to create training scenarios where that is done at speed and under pressure and practiced until it becomes second nature.

100% spot on. We used to have it - why are we not doing it now?????

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2022, 09:58:34 AM »

What surprises me most is that Lee was a back.

He was also a backs / attack coach when he joined us.
And while some of us believe that our best attack was with cipriani at 10, it was still pretty lively before Danny joined.... And that would have been with Lee running the show.

So why the issue now?
Is he completely hands off with the coaching and letting Everard / Mitchell run it completely?
Has he changed his approach and feels that full focus needs to go to the forwards and get that working properly before worrying about the backs?

Whatever it may be, he's now got over 3 months for everyone to rest up and focus on something new next season

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2022, 11:12:56 AM »
I think lee sometimes plays players out of loyalty rather then being the best player at the time.

Who on this site would play Fekitoa over Spink against tigers, not sure anyone would but the chances are lee is likely too.

Just don’t understand that apart from a loyalty thing.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2022, 03:17:52 PM »
After having just watched the Quins and Saints games it has reiterated to me that I don’t think our issues in the backs are massively personnel based but more like our systems and currently our 10s (how they’re used and their authority rather aiming at any direct criticism at them)

I think if you put our backs from Friday outside Smith or Biggar with their systems in place and we fire, Bassett is back up to 10+ tries a season, Crossdale wiuld play like Freeman or Huw Jones. Lots of work to do this preseason.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2022, 03:30:06 PM »
After having just watched the Quins and Saints games it has reiterated to me that I don’t think our issues in the backs are massively personnel based but more like our systems and currently our 10s (how they’re used and their authority rather aiming at any direct criticism at them)

I think if you put our backs from Friday outside Smith or Biggar with their systems in place and we fire, Bassett is back up to 10+ tries a season, Crossdale wiuld play like Freeman or Huw Jones. Lots of work to do this preseason.

+1

Anecdotally, I've been envious of Quins attack since they sacked Gustard, sweet Jesus they play attractive rugby. All the more frustrating they won the prem with their own identity as well...

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2022, 03:38:46 PM »
They also had the best front row and number 8 as well.