General Category > Wasps Rugby Discussion

Pecking order?

<< < (3/3)

Vespula Vulgaris:
There was a lot of debate about who was best.  Chesty seemed to be mroe powerful, but Mullan was supposedly more technical.  I'd be hesitant to rule Mullan out of first choice without seeing how he does when he comes back.  He's played internationally and not let anyone down so he deserves that at least.

BG:

--- Quote from: Vespula Vulgaris on December 03, 2018, 09:09:04 AM ---There was a lot of debate about who was best.  Chesty seemed to be mroe powerful, but Mullan was supposedly more technical.  I'd be hesitant to rule Mullan out of first choice without seeing how he does when he comes back.  He's played internationally and not let anyone down so he deserves that at least.

--- End quote ---

Placing Mullan as 1st choice LH is a leap of faith given its been ages since he last played (how long ago was it??) and even when he did last season, some would argue that Si Mc probably held that berth. In terms of scrummaging they are probbly equal but i think chesty offers more in terms of carrying and offloading ability. Ben Harris has also come on leaps and bounds and has scummaged well and is a good ball carrier. Mullan will be 32 at the end of this season when I presume his contract is up. Will Dai renew it?

In terms of the backrow, when our injuries come back we are blessed but at the moment YY has to be 7, he offers something that only Jack Willis seems to be able to do, which is reading the game at rucks and snaffling the ball (without that ability teams seem to be able to go through phase after phase against us). Shields seems to be settling in and might become one of those team unsung heros doing all the dirty hard graft . I'm torn between Nemo and Hughes at 8. They are completely different players. Nemo is quick and finds and steps through gaps and offoads, Hughes is a big lump who ties in defenders. In my view though Hughes hasn't stepped on as a player and that he hasn't added to his game in the way the 2 Vunipola brothers have in improving his handling and offloading ability.

We played some of our best rugby last season with Carr at 8, so controversially, I'll give him the nod there.

In terms of backs, you might as well write names on a pieces of paper and pick them out of a top hat as no-one really is head and shoulders better than anyone else this season (apart from Bertie possibly)

Brandnewtorugby:
As mentioned, we don't know for sure until we see Matt play again. I remember watching him run three lengths of the pitch attending a ruck at each end but still manage to be on Wades shoulder supporting his run for a try, there cannot be many props (anywhere) that can do that, I guess we will see if he still can.

If there is something I noticed about Leinster when we played there, it was how effectively they supported breaks, either giving an option or blocking (legally) a chase.

Raggs:
Mullan definitely has the pace and workrate, but with a backrow of Willis, Young, Nemo and Launch/Gaskell, with Taylor/Cruse, do we need another prop doing that?

I've not analysed enough, but Harris strikes me as extremely mobile too, and solid in the scrum too, whilst offering a bit of a better carrying option.

Vespula Vulgaris:

--- Quote from: Raggs on December 03, 2018, 04:09:47 PM ---Mullan definitely has the pace and workrate, but with a backrow of Willis, Young, Nemo and Launch/Gaskell, with Taylor/Cruse, do we need another prop doing that?
--- End quote ---

Not if it is to the detrement of his scrummaging, but historically that has not been the case, so why not?

--- Quote ---I've not analysed enough, but Harris strikes me as extremely mobile too, and solid in the scrum too, whilst offering a bit of a better carrying option.
--- End quote ---

He hasn't set the world on fire, but he hasn't let anyone down either which is quite impressive at the top end of the GP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version