Always a Wasp

Author Topic: We have a chance for HC rugby.  (Read 3306 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: We have a chance for HC rugby.
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2022, 11:25:32 AM »
Lots of people say that it is very financially important to be in the Champions Cup but nobody has ever (AFAIK) quoted any actual  details of £,s,d. The only definite that I can think of is ticket sales if you happen to be playing at home in the latter stages of the competition.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 03:54:23 PM »
You could even argue that we would have a greater chance of a home knockout game in the Challenge Cup than we would in the Champions' Cup.  But Toulouse and Munster were probably more of a pull this season than say Dragons and Pau next.

Do we even know for certain who will end up in the Challenge Cup next season?
5 Premiership
6 Top 14
8 URC? Will URC teams (inc SA) still qualify on merit based on league position, rather than based on country?
That's 19 teams.  A nice prime number for someone to devise a convoluted way to split into equal pools! Logical solution would be to chuck in the top club from the rest of Europe.  The old 3rd tier shield competition was scrapped a few years ago, so not sure how that would be determined.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2022, 07:01:30 PM »
Yes, I said I completely got the travel angle. I’ve seen loads of comments along the lines of “it’s better for us to be in the Challenge cup”. That’s accepting it. Eventually it becomes the norm - then the aspiration.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2022, 07:22:09 PM »
 >:(
Yes, I said I completely got the travel angle. I’ve seen loads of comments along the lines of “it’s better for us to be in the Challenge cup”. That’s accepting it. Eventually it becomes the norm - then the aspiration.

It really can't be the aspiration because it is the "basic" level cup. The aspiration will always be the "Big" cup. What we need is a cup run where we don't get stuffed by 30 odd points game after game. Build first then be prepared to stuff Leinster again.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2022, 08:01:39 PM »
To be fair we’ve done OK against a lot of teams in the HC (totally stitched up by Poite at home to Munster). Everyone gets stuffed by a well rested Ireland….sorry Leinster. 

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2022, 11:10:51 PM »
Good point. We did not disgrace ourselves at the top table this year. I want top tier rugby vs the big boys, regardless of the ask. Go and ask Man Uniteds of this world if they prefer Europa league where they can win or the top level competition. I think the answer will be unanimous, as it will be from our players and coaches. Top tier and Munster, please, not Rodney Parade.