Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What Happened to Our Optimism After the Final?  (Read 2073 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
What Happened to Our Optimism After the Final?
« on: May 21, 2022, 08:23:39 PM »
Seriously, I remember such optimism even when we lost. What happened since then that lead to our underwhelming performances and resultant thoughts?

Are we still optimistic about the future but acknowledge it will take a while to get there?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: What Happened to Our Optimism After the Final?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 08:31:56 PM »
Seriously, I remember such optimism even when we lost. What happened since then that lead to our underwhelming performances and resultant thoughts?

Are we still optimistic about the future but acknowledge it will take a while to get there?

Given the few squad changes, one can only point to the coaches.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 08:33:59 PM »
Maybe now looking back everything just fell right for us in that Covid influenced schedule when rugby resumed, a false impression?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 08:40:21 PM »

It'll be a combination of a few things.

-- Injuries don't help
-- Everyone a year older, particularly so for our older player(s)
-- Injuries
-- Other teams improving after taking a season to refocus
-- injuries
-- a couple of players off form at the wrong times
-- not playing during the first week of the season
-- other teams getting 5 point wins without taking to the field

And for all that, a month / 6 weeks ago, top4 was an actual possibility worth considering

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 08:44:33 PM »
For me still have hope that things will click and get better, seeing how other teams have turned it around recently.

However the only thing that’s making it glum is the way our game ‘plan?’ Has become forwards pick and go for our tries. Whilst I know we are moaning about our wayward passes and handling, I’m pretty sure we made around the same number of errors in the past, there were a lot more of attempts so some would  stick and we could score more than the opposition . If it’s a dull game I get frustrated even when we do win ,and losing makes it worse.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 09:18:42 PM »
If you see who is coming in for next season I believe we are only 3 players away from being a collection of very good players.

A 15, winger and a 10, I just hope the coaching set up can make it all click. I do think a long pre season with most players fit will help

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 10:48:12 PM »
I still have the optimism. We’ve beaten some good teams this year. We’ve also had some rank performances. We’re inconsistent. I’m happy with the way the squad is shaping up. But it can’t still all be jam tomorrow. The optimism comes from going in to next season without half a dozen pivotal players injured long term and seeing some good signings. With respect to those leaving I don’t see any problems due to them going. If we make a couple of quality signings in the backs I think we can be optimistic.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 09:05:13 AM »
I believe Wasps would have qualified for Europe by now, maybe more if the team were not ravaged by injury for the first half of the season. 

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 09:27:41 AM »
I believe Wasps would have qualified for Europe by now, maybe more if the team were not ravaged by injury for the first half of the season.
We shouldn’t forget we’re only 10 points behind 4th place. A couple of narrow losses going the other way …..

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 09:51:52 AM »
If you see who is coming in for next season I believe we are only 3 players away from being a collection of very good players.

A 15, winger and a 10, I just hope the coaching set up can make it all click. I do think a long pre season with most players fit will help

+1

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 07:40:33 AM »
We shouldn’t forget we’re only 10 points behind 4th place. A couple of narrow losses going the other way …..
This. There is very little between us and and the rest of the middle pack in the premiership. Who knows what will happen next year, Bath must improve, Worcester with Diamond at the helm may be a different proposition and a few teams will have significant personnel changes.

As for 2019-20 season, I think post covid we managed the calendar well and the changes to way the breakdown was refereed then suited us (unfortunately the changes for 2020-21 swung the advantage the other way).

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 07:55:34 AM »
[

IMHO the isuues are fundamental. We are where weare because as a team wea are not good enough.

Particularly with respect to the law changes - we need to adapt to them better and play accordingly.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 09:50:37 AM »
Reality intervened and we were found wanting

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 01:35:18 PM »

I think the fact that the table is so tight shouldn't be used as a way to justify our poor results.  The fact is that the table is so tight and therefore 10 points is a LOT.

That basically shows we weren't up to scratch more often than the majority of the rest of the teams.

Something needs to change. This feels a little like the last season or two at Adams Park when we struggled to win much at all. There were flashes of skill and obvious potential, but not enough to actually walk away with anything respectable.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 07:12:26 PM »
That’s an entirely fair summary of the season. Mediocrity, laced with poor displays but also with some very good wins. Towards the end we got on a bit of a roll and especially in the forwards showed an ability to dominate teams. I think that’s where the optimism comes in. We’ll be going into next year with far less injury worries. Our forwards look really strong. We’ve signed a good 10 and a solid 12. We do need to add a couple backs wise. That optimism cuts both ways though. With the squad we have and that base to work from there is no place to hide next year. Top 6 is a must and I would class it as disappointing if we weren’t pressing hard for top 4.