Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour  (Read 14009 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 12:42:56 PM »
Are they? How do we know that? There weren’t too many complaints about Odogwu when he was scoring tries against Falcons etc. Bassett is a quality operator with a great rugby brain. For some reason we’ve decided to use Hougaard there who carries minimal attacking threat. Mehson scored a bucketful in a cup game and never made a squad. Kibirige, I agree has just thrown the towel in. We have a couple of academy players straining at the leash. But most of all it comes down to cash. I’d rather spend anything available on a quality 15 and a quality 13.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 12:52:25 PM »
Is Paolo a 13 or a winger, do we get in a quality 13 and stop playing Spink and Paolo at 13. Paolo has not been great since coming back from injury and even though Lee has said Paolo best position is 13 he refuses to play him there

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 01:06:39 PM »
Didn’t Odogwu just score 6 tries in 6 games or something before Hougaard came in, we’re not writing him off just yet are we?
He looked very lively on Friday night too.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 01:21:14 PM »
I’m not writing him off but isn’t he foremost a 13, which then leaves Hougaard and Kibirige, not great

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 01:21:25 PM »
One of Wade's qualities was that he went looking for the ball. He didn't stand there waiting for it. He had a knack of being the supporting player on a breakout, which is something Dan was also good at.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 01:34:13 PM »
I loved the period where the received wisdom was that Wade wasn't good under the high ball and everyone seemed to kick to him and he would just leap higher than everyone else and bring it back at pace! The way he could pick the bobbling ball off the floor whilst running at full speed. I miss that sense of anticipation of a try whenever and wherever he had the ball. Right now, without wanting to be disrespectful to our current backs, I find the only thing I am anticipating is the next fumble. So for me I would love to see the club take a risk on him just for the possibility of seeing some of that spark again.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 01:53:59 PM »
Why must we be talking to him? This isn’t the Wade that left - mid season let’s not forget when we had little chance to replace. I really don’t get the clamour. Absolutely fantastic, brilliant, one off talent. No doubt about it. But that was then.
Im not enamored with our current winger crop but reardless, 100% this.
People remember the good times and nothing in between, he was good at times, and not at other times.. Wade is a part of history, good luck to him, but he did what he did, HOW he did it, he lost my affection and I was over him at that point. We hold his reg but regardless, Ex are welcome to him

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2022, 02:46:13 PM »
I have zero problems with how Wade left.  All the reports were he wanted to go earlier. I would take 70% of old him over any of our wingers.
I also think Odogwu is a 13. 

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 10:54:13 PM »
No offence to Odogwu, but he can’t hold a candle to Wadey, simply not in the same class to be honest. Wade was a bums on seats player, one of those that you could feel the excitement in the crowd when he got the ball in hand and the sort of player people wanted to see. We don’t have any of that spark with our current crop.

If he’s bulked up but still as quick, he could make it at centre - great natural ability to sniff out a gap and wrong foot opponents.

If he goes elsewhere and we don’t engage with him then I’ll be pretty fed up - he’s a Wasps legend.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 06:38:51 AM »
I agree in their pomp which for Odogwu is now, Wade was a better winger. But it’s like saying sign Lewsey back because he’s better than Crossdale. As for the notion of him playing centre that’s not something I’d like to see.

hopwood

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2022, 08:59:59 AM »
Would take Wade back in a heartbeat.
Imagine the level of insight and wisdom he could pass on to the players and coaches.
The way he’s been taught to train each day.
The precision and strategy of plays.
Just the level of sheer professionalism.

And I bet Wadey is in the best shape he’s ever been.
He could lift any side.
And because of his travels and experiences, he’ll be a much more rounded individual too.

Come home.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »
Would take Wade back in a heartbeat.
Imagine the level of insight and wisdom he could pass on to the players and coaches.
The way he’s been taught to train each day.
The precision and strategy of plays.
Just the level of sheer professionalism.

And I bet Wadey is in the best shape he’s ever been.
He could lift any side.
And because of his travels and experiences, he’ll be a much more rounded individual too.

Come home.

Indeed
Let me tell you something cucumber

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 09:22:48 AM »
Good interview with Wadey on Radio 4 Today programme this morning. Should be on BBC Sounds catchup around 8.47-8.49am. Says his options are open on a return to the Prem. talks about his time in the NFL.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2022, 09:48:59 AM »
At least a couple of references above to Wade as a "bums on seats" player.  Never mind a 15, 13 or whatever else might be on the wish list.  The club could really use a few more bums on seats next season.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 09:52:15 AM »
Good interview with Wadey on Radio 4 Today programme this morning. Should be on BBC Sounds catchup around 8.47-8.49am. Says his options are open on a return to the Prem. talks about his time in the NFL.

Yes, he said he was looking closely at coming back to rugby.