Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour  (Read 14005 times)

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2022, 10:48:43 AM »
A very strange Radio 4 interview with Wade. Mostly about his NFL experiences. An almost in passing comment about returning to rugby Union which was not followed up. I ended up wondering why they wanted to interview and why he said Yes. Do Premiership coaches ever listen to Today!?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2022, 01:21:45 PM »
I am a little surprised at the people who don't want him back because of how he left.  When he went it was a mutual decision, and he has stayed in touch with the club both management and players.  So it certainly wasn't acrimonious. He wanted to chase a dream, and we supported him in doing that.

Haskell left and came back, Danny left and came back, I see no reason why we wouldn't welcome Chris back with open arms. He's going to be fitter, faster, and more professional then he ever was before, even if he is a little rusty.

Once a Wasp and all that...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »
Like many others have already said, I'd welcome Wadey back with open arms.

His attitude both on and off the pitch was one of the things that "sold" Wasps to both me (and especially) my wife when the club first moved up to Coventry (although I had been a fan before then).

You could sense in the crowd that whenever he got the ball, something very special could (and quite often did) happen.

I know that we had some other mercurial talents around him as well (Cips/Daly/Beale/Piutau), but I'm sure that if he came back he would help to ignite a spark in some of the talent we have got now and also what is coming through as well.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2022, 02:00:43 PM »
I am a little surprised at the people who don't want him back because of how he left.  When he went it was a mutual decision, and he has stayed in touch with the club both management and players.  So it certainly wasn't acrimonious. He wanted to chase a dream, and we supported him in doing that.

Haskell left and came back, Danny left and came back, I see no reason why we wouldn't welcome Chris back with open arms. He's going to be fitter, faster, and more professional then he ever was before, even if he is a little rusty.

I'm on the fence about how he left, and would like to see him back, but do think the method of leaving is what people don't like.

People leaving and coming back, Hask, Cips etc is one thing if they see out a contract or leave in the summer, but to up and leave mid-season is different. I think the Daly method of basically playing badly and then leaving and suddenly finding form at his new club is probably worse.

hopwood

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2022, 03:26:24 PM »
What’s happened has happened. Get over it.
We’ll never know the ins and outs.
Life has moved on.

And yes I agree….Wasps do need a “bums on seats” player in the backs.
Wasps need more reasons for fans to turn up, old and new.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2022, 03:41:07 PM »
Wade is a must and i'll be pretty sure he is still faster then any of our current crop of wingers. Also Wade could change direction at will, doubt he has lost that. A good pre season and he will be better then what we have, and a lot of other teams.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2022, 03:50:38 PM »
I think the Daly method of basically playing badly and then leaving and suddenly finding form at his new club is probably worse.

I know I'm taking one bit of your comment here but I completely agree with this. I think Daly would be the only player I'd feel had to "prove" his worth if he was rumored to be coming back to Wasps only going by how he behaved in his final year (I'd probably say to the point where his eventual departure wasn't as sad as I once thought).

For what my opinion is worth, I'd be happy to have Wadey back. You can't blame the guy for wanting to go and chase a dream. Sure, leaving when he did wasn't great but is there a reason why it may have happened that way? Does the NFL start around that time of year (whether it's the draft/preseason/season etc etc)? I suppose as happy as I'd be to see him back, I'd also feel quite gutted for him that his NFL venture maybe didn't quite work out how he wanted it to.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2022, 04:18:02 PM »
I think the Daly method of basically playing badly and then leaving and suddenly finding form at his new club is probably worse.

I know I'm taking one bit of your comment here but I completely agree with this. I think Daly would be the only player I'd feel had to "prove" his worth if he was rumored to be coming back to Wasps only going by how he behaved in his final year (I'd probably say to the point where his eventual departure wasn't as sad as I once thought).

For what my opinion is worth, I'd be happy to have Wadey back. You can't blame the guy for wanting to go and chase a dream. Sure, leaving when he did wasn't great but is there a reason why it may have happened that way? Does the NFL start around that time of year (whether it's the draft/preseason/season etc etc)? I suppose as happy as I'd be to see him back, I'd also feel quite gutted for him that his NFL venture maybe didn't quite work out how he wanted it to.
And don’t forget WLR. He basically stopped tackling in his last season with us and tried to avoid contact as much as possible. Amazingly his tackle stats shot up when he played for SA shortly after.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2022, 05:04:32 PM »

They both left at the end of contracts and seasons, not mid way through a season leaving the club with little movement. When you say it was mutual, you mean he said he wanted to leave and the club had no other option than to grant that leave? If it was such a dream, do it at the end of the previous season instead of seeing what you can manufacture in the meantime then when you get a sniff, you leave the club hanging.

The sentiment around this player is boggling.

Once a Wasp doesn't mean an ever open door..especially now you realise you weren't good enough at something else.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 05:27:01 PM by Hymenoptera »

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2022, 05:34:27 PM »
I understood that he wanted to leave at the end of the previous season, as he was on a bit of a downer following his England treatment, but was persuaded to delay his "flight to the USA" until the last minute, which was why he left mid-season. The fact he wanted to leave to try the NFL was originally a surprise to the management, when he eventually left was not.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2022, 06:07:04 PM »
The warning signs are all there in the comments. “he left to chase his dream” “he’d become disillusioned with the game” etc etc. A disillusioned, demotivated Wade trying to get back for a couple of years is a massively different beast to the hungry, committed player that started out. For me head needs to rule heart in this one.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2022, 06:20:30 PM »
I understood that he wanted to leave at the end of the previous season, as he was on a bit of a downer following his England treatment, but was persuaded to delay his "flight to the USA" until the last minute, which was why he left mid-season. The fact he wanted to leave to try the NFL was originally a surprise to the management, when he eventually left was not.

This totally - it was not a surprise to the management just fans. Dai let it be for over a year before commenting about the situation at the time and their efforts trying to keep him.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2022, 07:00:42 PM »
Exactly what I thought/heard.
He wanted to go earlier the previous season and stayed on, thus giving us time to prepare if we had chosen to.
I think in general guys like Wade and Cips left bad tastes with those who often did not rate them as highly as others, and far less so among those who  rated them more highly.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 07:04:25 PM by westwaleswasp »

Heathen

• View Profile

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2022, 10:32:44 PM »
I get an overall  feeling that Christian was more sinned against  by somebody than actually sinning.  Fiver was just being fiver and couldn't settle anywhere. My own personal view.