Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour  (Read 16215 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2022, 11:07:36 PM »
The warning signs are all there in the comments. “he left to chase his dream” “he’d become disillusioned with the game” etc etc. A disillusioned, demotivated Wade trying to get back for a couple of years is a massively different beast to the hungry, committed player that started out. For me head needs to rule heart in this one.
Totally this.
People seem to have 'Heard or Understood' a few things. Postman updates aside, he left us mid season and Dai was quoted as surprised and unprepared from a recruitment standpoint to fill that position, that doesn't strike me like a situation a club or business would knowingly put themselves in knowing some 6-7 months in advance.
As Shugs says, he was disillusioned with rugby, blaming others for the fact that he didn't make the Intl stage when fact is he just wasn't rounded enough. He didn't take his Saxons or Lions opportunity to stake any definitive claim. Every winger wants to play intl rugby and ultimately fails without blaming other other factors. If my memory serves me, his last season or so was some what of a nothing contribution.
Don't get me wrong, he scored and created some sublime stuff, some utter brilliance...but IMO he's held in an esteem he doesn't deserve and for me, showed the club little respect, only servicing his own needs.
Having not achieved his ultimate 'dream', he's sniffing around the game again having quote: built up an appetite? - How did he do that?
I'd never date an ex that cheated on me.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 11:38:00 PM by Hymenoptera »

Heathen

• View Profile

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2022, 08:22:33 AM »
The people who were not up to it were Lancaster and Jones. Wade was the best winger in the Premiership, it's not even close.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:10:49 AM by westwaleswasp »

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2022, 09:10:44 AM »
+1000

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2022, 09:11:29 AM »
Come on Lee and Co, sign him up!

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2022, 09:14:29 AM »
“I’d never date an ex that cheated on me”

Never is a very strong word. What were the reasons?  Circumstances change.  If circumstances changes and both parties are content then why not?

If both Club and Wade are willing I would welcome his relationship with Wasps to be rekindled.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2022, 09:32:37 AM »
Crikey.  Give him a break.

He was a one-club man and spent 7 years with us.  Increasingly frustrated at the lack of opportunity to progress to well-deserved international honours and no doubt falling out of love with the game somewhat, in what are the peak years for many male athletes opted to try something new - that didn't quite come off - but earnt double what he was earning at Wasps, thoroughly tested himself against some of the best US Athletes and is in the best physical condition he's ever been in.

In my mid-late 20's, I changed job several times for opportunities to be challenged and to progress.  I'm not sure why sports people get such a hard time over this.  It's only when it's disingenuous or feels so that it can be a problem.  Daly's departure felt disingenuous, clearly he'd gone for more money, to play with guys he'd developed close friendships with on England duty and to join a team who were constantly in the hunt to win things. 

All the rumours around him supposedly going for less money and invoking a clause in his contract to exit all because the training ground wasn't ready didn't really tie up with what everyone else thought.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2022, 10:12:02 AM »
Crikey.  Give him a break.

He was a one-club man and spent 7 years with us.  Increasingly frustrated at the lack of opportunity to progress to well-deserved international honours and no doubt falling out of love with the game somewhat, in what are the peak years for many male athletes opted to try something new - that didn't quite come off - but earnt double what he was earning at Wasps, thoroughly tested himself against some of the best US Athletes and is in the best physical condition he's ever been in.

In my mid-late 20's, I changed job several times for opportunities to be challenged and to progress.  I'm not sure why sports people get such a hard time over this.  It's only when it's disingenuous or feels so that it can be a problem.  Daly's departure felt disingenuous, clearly he'd gone for more money, to play with guys he'd developed close friendships with on England duty and to join a team who were constantly in the hunt to win things

All the rumours around him supposedly going for less money and invoking a clause in his contract to exit all because the training ground wasn't ready didn't really tie up with what everyone else thought.

And he got what he wanted. A team that won the championship!

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2022, 10:23:05 AM »
I think with Christian his big mistake was taking the plane to Aus for the Lions. I know the Lions is seen as the pinnacle for any rugby player, but he'd just got his first (and subsequently only) England cap and then he jumps on a plane for a mid-week Lions match.

With hindsight he should have been proud as punch to get the call and then politely declined as cementing his place in the England camp should have been the priority. He could have been a test starter for the Lions 4 years later had he done that.

But of course, we'll never know now.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2022, 11:19:53 AM »
Really? If Gatland calls you up to join the Lions squad you don't say no, politely or otherwise.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2022, 12:04:41 PM »
Really? If Gatland calls you up to join the Lions squad you don't say no, politely or otherwise.

There was that great moment where he took the comb from his hair and did his hair when he realised he was being shown on the big screen!

Lots of talk about his value and worth etc in the BBC interview - whilst he has credit in the bank, he’s a real unknown now and the game has changed since he left in terms of player valuations and wages with covid drops and the cap change. His value comes now almost entirely on what teams are willing to pay him rather than any perceived value of what he once represented or earned in his pomp.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2022, 12:47:10 PM »
Been thinking about this further today.

Not that I ever agreed with the reasons he never got a proper England chance (weak defence), but if we agree it probably was a weaker part of his game, how weak do we think it will be now, as an offensive team in the NFL basically don't tackle, plus he has only really played a couple of plays in a couple of games in the NFL.

I'd love to see old Wadey back, but what does anyone think new Wadey would bring?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2022, 01:08:06 PM »

We're obviously talking about us wanting him.

But would he want us?
How much does the current club resemble what he knew?

Obviously Joe launchbury was there back then, and Lee was backs/attack coach.

Dai has gone. His close friend TV2 left while he was still playing for us.
Other stalwarts who were around back then have mostly either gone, or are going this summer (Jimmy, miller, Gaskell)
How many links to his old club are really still there?

While some of us would like to think that we have first call on him.... Would we be his first choice?

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2022, 03:18:58 PM »
I'd love to see old Wadey back, but what does anyone think new Wadey would bring?

An ability to score tries, sometimes from nothing, but that is something we sorely lack ATM.