Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour  (Read 16186 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2022, 11:03:00 AM »
Maybe he's taking up tennis. 

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2022, 11:22:15 AM »
Remember the last player we signed who came back from NFL? That didn't exactly work out.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2022, 11:47:57 AM »
Remember the last player we signed who came back from NFL? That didn't exactly work out.

Who was this?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2022, 12:49:10 PM »

Who was this?

His name was Alex Gray. Short term signing autumn 2021 when we were once again up sh*t creek without a paddle. Absolutely no valid comparison with Wadey. I'm not even sure if he turned out for us.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2022, 01:39:13 PM »
I am unsure what to wish for here.

If Wasps could get the same Christian Wade from 4-5 years ago, then of course sign him up. But a lot has happened since then.
He fell out of love with rugby, changed his body shape, his fitness & his skill set for a very different game!
He has got married to an American, he has set up a business in America.

I am not sure what all of that will do for his rugby game. He would have to work very hard on his skill set, tackling, rucking, fielding kicks etc, plus his fitness has been based around short sharp intervals of effort, not multi-phase continuous defence or attack. I am sure he could do it, but will he want to? With budgets tight, he would have to be on peanuts compared to his NFL salary, not much of an incentive!
As others have mentioned, even if the Wadey from 5 years ago was available, the Wasps of 5 years ago has disappeared ! How would he cope in a game where he will hardly see the ball?

I am dubious that Wasps will want him, given all of that, as I was dubious he would make it in the NFL, but if there is budget & he shows how much he wants it, it could work.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2022, 02:59:59 PM »
I’m really not getting the idea that Wade has to learn how to play rugby.  For me he just needs a good preseason.

He got disillusioned with the game but if he wants to come back then I believe he would have the right attitude. I don’t think he’ll be thinking can I make the England squad, he will just be concentrating on playing well for his club.

I would be very confident he would still be a great player for at least 3/4 seasons, for me definitely a lot better then our current wingers. I like Bassett but the rest I’m struggling with.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2022, 03:22:44 PM »
There are two players that have come back from the NFL into the Prem, neither have achieved anything like their pre-NFL career form.

The game has moved on and might have left Wade behind. As Backdoc said, no one would sign him without him going through a trial and it doesn't sound like he's got one lined up yet.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2022, 03:27:41 PM »
There are two players that have come back from the NFL into the Prem, neither have achieved anything like their pre-NFL career form.

The game has moved on and might have left Wade behind. As Backdoc said, no one would sign him without him going through a trial and it doesn't sound like he's got one lined up yet.

Neither of those who came back had pre-nfl career form like Wade's though.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2022, 07:03:47 PM »
Two possibilities here. 1) It’s a calculated wind up which amounts to a huge p*** take. 2) He is returning and it’s a marketing disaster. If we’ve signed Wade get the news out there and watch the season ticket money roll in. Playing wise signed or not signed I don’t believe it makes much difference.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2022, 07:50:57 PM »
Do you think it's a ticket sales opportunity? - I don't. I can't identify the demographic that has been away for a few years that would suddenly invest in a ticket because he's signed up. Outside of the Wasps Wade fanboy club, of which most are members of this board, I'm not sure he's particularly relevant. He's no longer even a rugby name ..nor the bare minimum of being an ex International.

This has just been a profile exercise for me...with his 'Dream' now splattered, he's reverted to the only other thing that peaks peoples interest in him, the game he dislikes..sorry, loves so much. whilst plugging twitter trying to get a free car to use while he's here of course.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2022, 08:33:18 PM »
In terms of a cost benefit analysis I would think he’d still be beneficial. Even just from the point of view that BT would probably want to turn up to see a couple of the early games. But playing wise I think it would equate to an Ashton at Tigers scenario - as many column inches as minutes.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2022, 09:22:15 PM »
Do you think it's a ticket sales opportunity? - I don't. I can't identify the demographic that has been away for a few years that would suddenly invest in a ticket because he's signed up. Outside of the Wasps Wade fanboy club, of which most are members of this board, I'm not sure he's particularly relevant. He's no longer even a rugby name ..nor the bare minimum of being an ex International.

This has just been a profile exercise for me...with his 'Dream' now splattered, he's reverted to the only other thing that peaks peoples interest in him, the game he dislikes..sorry, loves so much. whilst plugging twitter trying to get a free car to use while he's here of course.

Harsh and grating as are too many of your posts, H'optera. If you think he's no longer even a rugby name then you are just plain wrong.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2022, 09:36:20 PM »
Bobby talks to Christian

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/christian-wade-wasps-rugby-24115972?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
I don’t want to appear “anti Wade” but for me most of this was a bit cringeworthy. There’s a fine line between self confidence and arrogance and if this interview is verbatim I’d not be touching him with a barge pole. For me rugby is the ultimate team sport. This interview screams “me, me, me”.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2022, 10:41:15 PM »
Bobby talks to Christian

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/christian-wade-wasps-rugby-24115972?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Hell of a coincidence that BB is at Henley in Arden - some distance from the Coventry Telegraph office - and just happens to bump into Wadey - who is on a flying visit - and gets an exclusive interview. Yeah right.