Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Strange Goings on at Bath  (Read 1008 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Strange Goings on at Bath
« on: May 25, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »

Ed Griffiths has left his role as Bath chairman despite only being appointed on a permanent basis by the Gallagher Premiership side in January.

The former Saracens chief executive joined the club initially on a consultancy basis back in November to conduct a wide-ranging review with Bath suffering a disastrous season at the bottom of the table.

Griffiths was then appointed on a full-term basis at the start of this year as chairman, replacing Bath owner Bruce Craig. But Griffiths will now leave The Rec after less than six months in the role. Bath are currently 12th in the Premiership with signings for next season including Piers Francis and Dave Attwood.

Craig said: “We thank Edward for all he has done in helping our club to refocus. He has brought expertise, knowledge and experience, and he leaves the club in a significantly stronger position. I will continue to support the club as we move forward.”

The news comes as part of a restructuring by Bath ahead of next season and the arrival of Johaan van Graan as head coach from Munster, with Van Graan assuming complete control of rugby matters.

Stuart Hooper, the current director of rugby, will move into a new general manager role with Bath, supporting Van Graan "in delivering the club’s long-term plans which include the further enhancement of its player pathway and academy; and the development of competitive advantage in areas of data, psychology, nutrition, training and performance facilities", according to the club.

Tarquin McDonald, Bath chief executive, commented: “These roles are confirmed ahead of our final game of the season against Worcester Warriors, and as we ready ourselves for the 2022/23 season. This reset will provide the foundations for a revival for the club over the coming seasons.”
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Goings on at Bath
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 04:20:11 PM »
A chairman who initially went on a temp basis as consultant goes 6 months after signing full time contract? Indeed strange . With no announcement of replacement either Brucie is returning to role or selling?

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 04:42:21 PM »

Craig said: “We thank Edward for all he has done in helping our club to refocus. He has brought expertise, knowledge and experience, and he leaves the club in a significantly stronger position. I will continue to support the club as we move forward.”

I'm not sure I'd class not last as a 'significantly' stronger position. ;D

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 05:34:01 PM »
Basket case at the minute. Sounds like Hoops will be planning the lunches.

HCWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 10:59:57 PM »
EG’s brief included overseeing their revised plans for the new stadium. He’s already engaged with local residents about it. Bath’s announcement about his departure only refers to the playing side - bizarre.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 10:09:07 AM »
Something special is happening at Bath