Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lyon v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 4822 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lyon v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2022, 09:23:00 AM »
We do have. These guys are giving their all. At 10 we have someone who is just out of school and will be banking these experiences like gold. At 15 we have talent but no solidity. 12, yes, but the guy is still a legend and at 13 you’ve got a capped All Black. It’s not quite clicking - that’s all.

Shugs I don’t care if he has just come out of school, all I’m interested in is he good enough. So next season are our excuses that our fly half’s are young and they need more experience. We can’t keep waiting for players to get experience whilst losing important games.

We need to have a winning team now, we’ve been waiting for years, or are we just a club who just accepts Mediocrity.

I thought moving to Coventry was to make us great again. Waiting for Atkinson for another 2/3 years while we win nothing is not going to cut it
Jesus wept, give the lad a chance. Last year he looked like the coming force, then he got a truly terrible injury. This year he eventually got fit again and was forced into action waaaaay too soon, partly because everyone lost their shit over Umaga. Christ alive, the lad was dragging his leg around for the first three or four weeks. I said so at the time, look it up. Now he’s starting to purr again and all the miserable half empty crew can do is moan because we lost by 2 points to Lyon in Lyon. We should’ve won that. NONE of the loss is down to our FH. He was part of the reason we should’ve bloody well won it.

It's been mentioned briefly upthread, but wonder if Jimmy/Fekitoa moving on - as two senior and well respected voices might help Charlie find his voice.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2022, 09:26:02 AM »
In this forum and the threads, you often learn more about the posters than anything else.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2022, 10:04:24 AM »
What I saw a lot of on Saturday was a team that was trying to execute at speed and play like the Wasps of past years, but it just not quite coming off.  A little more accuracy in terms of timing of the pass/run and we win that.  One of those passes sticks and someone is through a hole and scoring a try; drop it and we're defending a scrum instead.  In turn, once one sticks, confidence grows and another sticks and before you know it we're all purring about our exciting backs fulfilling their potential and getting us to a European final.  Small margins.

I don't think our backs are a million miles away from clicking.  Removing square pegs from round holes will certainly help.  Hougaard is baffling.  He was brought in to provide more experienced back up to Robson, and yet he's played most of his rugby for Wasps on the wing, despite Robson being a touch out of form.  Someone (Crossdale?) needs to make that 15 shirt their own.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2022, 10:09:06 AM »
If Alfie (or anyone else)  goes on the England tour does that mean he misses the start of the season? Then it’s AIs the 6Ns.

I think both Tom and Alfie will get plenty of game time, unless Eddie changes his mind.

I'd have Alo as a bolter for the England summer tour.  He's arguably the form English tighthead in the league right now, scrummaging very well, and a massive unit who makes hard metres in contact, something Eddie is not averse to.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2022, 10:13:51 AM »
If Alfie (or anyone else)  goes on the England tour does that mean he misses the start of the season? Then it’s AIs the 6Ns.

I think both Tom and Alfie will get plenty of game time, unless Eddie changes his mind.

I'd have Alo as a bolter for the England summer tour.  He's arguably the form English tighthead in the league right now, scrummaging very well, and a massive unit who makes hard metres in contact, something Eddie is not averse to.

We might be struggling for Tightheads but I don't think there's a chance Eddie takes Biyi on tour.  His conditioning might be light years ahead of where it was the past few seasons and he is by far the most improved player in the squad and quickly becoming enjoyable to watch, but no way Eddie takes him unless he was even better conditioned.  He's some distance off of the standards I think Eddie would want.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2022, 10:40:58 AM »

We might be struggling for Tightheads but I don't think there's a chance Eddie takes Biyi on tour.  His conditioning might be light years ahead of where it was the past few seasons and he is by far the most improved player in the squad and quickly becoming enjoyable to watch, but no way Eddie takes him unless he was even better conditioned.  He's some distance off of the standards I think Eddie would want.

Does anyone actually know the standards Eddie wants?
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2022, 10:50:16 AM »
You think Eddie will believe Biyi to be conditioned well enough for his liking, Neils?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2022, 11:22:19 AM »
You think Eddie will believe Biyi to be conditioned well enough for his liking, Neils?

I haven't got a bloody clue - have you? Plus I don't care what he actually wants but long may he continue.
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2022, 11:33:39 AM »

I haven't got a bloody clue - have you? Plus I don't care what he actually wants but long may he continue.

Not based on his appearances for us, which was kind of my point and why I don't think he's in meaningful contention for England.  He tends to be very good for 50 minutes, then subbed at 50-60 mins, which might be normal across most front-rowers these days, but 60 minutes in an International is a different intensity to 50-60 minutes in the Prem, or Challenge Cup.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2022, 11:34:40 PM »
Well, Lyon dealt with Toulon convincingly, and I was pleased with a 7/2 wager.

It puts Wasps performance into perspective.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2022, 09:26:18 AM »
Well, Lyon dealt with Toulon convincingly, and I was pleased with a 7/2 wager.

It puts Wasps performance into perspective.

+1

Now to get my La Rochelle flag out

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2022, 11:19:50 AM »
Tweet from BB: So Wasps’ near miss in the semi (a 20-18 away defeat) to Lyon grows more frustrating, given how comfortable they’ve been against Toulon in the European Challenge Cup final tonight. Wouldn’t have minded a late May Marseille mission!
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!