Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Leicester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 4579 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Leicester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2022, 08:34:13 AM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-boss-lee-blackett-gives-24147196

Personal view. Spend much less time in the gym and more in the on the execution of actually playing the game.

Practice makes perfect as they say.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2022, 09:08:04 AM »
Bring back Smiler.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2022, 09:13:06 AM »
My take on, not just yesterday, but the entire season. IMO, most of the problem with the backs stemmed from the chaos in the centres. Lee's plans were probably to use Ryan Mills as starting 12 with Jimmy as backup and Booj probably down as 3rd choice. Cruelly, Mills has been mostly out with injury (or is it injuries?). This meant an aging Gopps was starting and being ruthlessly targeted by defenses. Mala lost his form and also had a succession of injuries. He tried way too hard to make amends. Paolo was out long term and has yet to fully regain his pre-injury form though it looked like it is on the way back. Spink is just at the beginning of his Prem career. Will Symonds was also out with a long term injury. I can't even remember who we had on loan or short term contracts. We were forced to try Josh as a centre who BTW I think has lost a little pace. Is it any wonder our backs were FUBAR? I think it is invidious to blame it all on the coaching staff without looking below the surface.

PS. As Wonky posted whilst I was typing - even Smiler would have struggled in those circumstances. :-*
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2022, 09:46:58 AM »
My take on, not just yesterday, but the entire season. IMO, most of the problem with the backs stemmed from the chaos in the centres. Lee's plans were probably to use Ryan Mills as starting 12 with Jimmy as backup and Booj probably down as 3rd choice. Cruelly, Mills has been mostly out with injury (or is it injuries?). This meant an aging Gopps was starting and being ruthlessly targeted by defenses. Mala lost his form and also had a succession of injuries. He tried way too hard to make amends. Paolo was out long term and has yet to fully regain his pre-injury form though it looked like it is on the way back. Spink is just at the beginning of his Prem career. Will Symonds was also out with a long term injury. I can't even remember who we had on loan or short term contracts. We were forced to try Josh as a centre who BTW I think has lost a little pace. Is it any wonder our backs were FUBAR? I think it is invidious to blame it all on the coaching staff without looking below the surface.

PS. As Wonky posted whilst I was typing - even Smiler would have struggled in those circumstances. :-*

I think I agree with much of what you say. The majority of our problems stem from 12 & 13. I am sure Malakai is a lovely person and fitness fanatic but he is also very selfish - we will improve with Spink playing more as he offloads or takes tackles as necessary. He doesn't look to hammer the opposition like an overexcited Mala. 12 is critical and Lee has been severely let down by Mills absence. Jimmy has looked pedestrian at times - he will be a great coach somewhere. Paolo has, to me, added bulk but lost speed. Josh - personally I think has been great, done what was asked of him (centre for god's sake) and been amoungst our best match in match out. Speed maybe slower but he will get it back. I like Crossdale but he needs catching practice for longevity. However, they all need a rest to recharge and get a long good pre-season in them. Lets hope they get a few meaningful new colleagues - soon.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2022, 11:55:00 AM »
Odendaal is not the only signing. Assuming we’re just talking backs we also have Haydon-Wood and Hartley joining the first team. Spink, Atkinson and Porter have a year of experience under their belts. And we (hopefully) won’t be chopping and changing every week. We may also have a couple of new signings. Plus we already have some of the best backs in the division. It will turn.
Odendaal will join in Oct/Nov after finishing a full season in SA, no rest and no preseason if reports are correct. We’ve already seen the effects that can have on a players form. Haydon Wood is a young inexperienced player at 10 and Hartley is stepping up from the academy so I think it would be unfair on them to think they are going to tear the league up straight away. Yes Spink, Porter and Atkinson will be better with this season under their belts. You keep saying we MIGHT have a couple of new signings, at this point we haven’t so you have to base your assumptions on what we have got. Others have commented on your statement that we already have some of the best backs in the division and I agree with their assessment. The one point that could prove you right is IF and it’s a big IF we get a couple of quality signings in the backs this could be a completely different conversation

The Currie Cup ends this year on 25 June. They realigned the calendar to match the NH calendar, so it no longer goes in to Autumn. Why would Odendall not come here after that? I think Lions are currently bottom of the table.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2022, 12:04:39 PM »
If Mitchell is staying as defence, Lee will have to take back attack. Who is then in charge?

Bold assuming Lee will be going back to attack coach. No changes to coaching structure yet, I'd aim to change skills and or attack. Lee doesn't necessarily need to stop being head coach for this to happen.

Whether Lee is still best person for head coach role is another question.

The Times today:

Best director of rugby
1. Steve Borthwick (Leicester), wise-owl revivalist
2. Mark McCall (Saracens), sublime revivalist
3. Lee Blackett (Wasps), outstanding coach.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2022, 12:06:05 PM »
Odendaal is not the only signing. Assuming we’re just talking backs we also have Haydon-Wood and Hartley joining the first team. Spink, Atkinson and Porter have a year of experience under their belts. And we (hopefully) won’t be chopping and changing every week. We may also have a couple of new signings. Plus we already have some of the best backs in the division. It will turn.
Odendaal will join in Oct/Nov after finishing a full season in SA, no rest and no preseason if reports are correct. We’ve already seen the effects that can have on a players form. Haydon Wood is a young inexperienced player at 10 and Hartley is stepping up from the academy so I think it would be unfair on them to think they are going to tear the league up straight away. Yes Spink, Porter and Atkinson will be better with this season under their belts. You keep saying we MIGHT have a couple of new signings, at this point we haven’t so you have to base your assumptions on what we have got. Others have commented on your statement that we already have some of the best backs in the division and I agree with their assessment. The one point that could prove you right is IF and it’s a big IF we get a couple of quality signings in the backs this could be a completely different conversation

The Currie Cup ends this year on 25 June. They realigned the calendar to match the NH calendar, so it no longer goes in to Autumn. Why would Odendall not come here after that? I think Lions are currently bottom of the table.

Reports were that contract went until oct/Nov possibly signed before the realignment of the calendar but as you say it would make sense for them to release before presumably for the right price.Unless they are trying to make a point to other clubs that they are not just going to be an easy touch for clubs taking their better players which was also mentioned in the article.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2022, 12:13:01 PM »
If Mitchell is staying as defence, Lee will have to take back attack. Who is then in charge?

Bold assuming Lee will be going back to attack coach. No changes to coaching structure yet, I'd aim to change skills and or attack. Lee doesn't necessarily need to stop being head coach for this to happen.

Whether Lee is still best person for head coach role is another question.

The Times today:

Best director of rugby
1. Steve Borthwick (Leicester), wise-owl revivalist
2. Mark McCall (Saracens), sublime revivalist
3. Lee Blackett (Wasps), outstanding coach.

Now that's intriguing. However, of the three names, only McCall is a DoR.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2022, 12:31:02 PM »

Reports were that contract went until oct/Nov possibly signed before the realignment of the calendar but as you say it would make sense for them to release before presumably for the right price.Unless they are trying to make a point to other clubs that they are not just going to be an easy touch for clubs taking their better players which was also mentioned in the article.

Correct his contract was signed up until the end of October and as their Captain they wanted that cover but Wasps were trying to negotiate a cutting of their contract with him. Fingers crossed!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2022, 12:33:10 PM »
Backs performances this season has largely been about the need to play Gopperth as a points kicker and second play maker.

His absence next year will change things for sure.
I know one kick doesn’t prove a lot, but judging my the assured way Charlie took that conversion maybe we have a replacement kicker in house? I think Jacob has improved as well.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2022, 12:54:08 PM »
Backs performances this season has largely been about the need to play Gopperth as a points kicker and second play maker.

I know one kick doesn’t prove a lot, but judging my the assured way Charlie took that conversion maybe we have a replacement kicker in house? I think Jacob has improved as well.

That was certainly a good kick. I was rather surprised :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2022, 01:00:42 PM »

This is bang on for me. Gopperth has had to be used far too much. Not his fault but it’s affected us badly. Centres is where we’ve struggled.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2022, 08:22:29 PM »
As the Bank Holiday rain gods have turned out in force and we've decided not to attend the planned BBQ I thought I'd while away a bit of time looking at Tigers' season stats. It puts our performance in to perspective:

They only lost four games away: Us, Sale, Cheats, Quins. That's fairly good company (Cheats aside).

The won all their home games. Only 3 teams kept them to less than 20 pts: Cheats (13), Sale (19) Quins (16).

They scored 30+ points against 7 teams: Chiefs (34), Bath (40), Falcons (31), Wuss (36), Saints (35), Glaws (35),  Irish (37), Bears (56).

I'm a glass half full type and I'll take yesterday's result as a positive given the wretched season we've had and something to build on.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2022, 09:05:54 PM »
Their first try yesterday was a bit soft.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2022, 10:02:04 PM »
Their first try yesterday was a bit soft.
Very, and after a promising start.

Last season I kept track of our starts, can’t remember the numbers but we went behind first more often than we got the first score and we were very susceptible in first 10 minutes.