Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Biyi in The Telegraph.  (Read 664 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Biyi in The Telegraph.
« on: June 07, 2022, 10:13:09 AM »
This is extracted from an article in today's Telegraph about 4 possible 'bolters' in Jones' latest training squad.

Biyi Alo
Position: Prop
Club: Wasps

Modern-day props are certainly versatile but Alo boasts around a million streams on Spotify, releasing hip-hop songs under the name 'Biyi', and on the field has kicked on in the second half of the season for Wasps.

In the recent documentary 'Everybody's Game' made by Bath and England prop Beno Obano, Alo was arguably the breakout star. Always an imposing presence on the field, Alo was once the heaviest player in the Premiership but has since slimmed down and his recent athletic efforts pulling off an important tackle on Leicester's Ollie Chessum caught the eye.

Now 28, Alo is enjoying the best form of his career, with Wasps offering Alo a new contract at the end of February. Lee Blackett, the Wasps' head coach, noted how Alo's on-field play combined with how much he brought to the side off the field had made the decision straightforward.

“Biyi has put in some phenomenal performances this season, to cement his place as a regular at tighthead for us. This new contract is a great reward for all the hard effort he has put in to do that," Blackett said at the time. “Biyi’s personality is infectious, I can’t do anything other than smile when I see him, he’s a great character."

A product of Saracens' academy, Alo was part of the 2014 England under-20 side who triumphed in the IRB Junior World Championship, playing in a side captained by Maro Itoje which included Charlie Ewels and Wales' Ross Moriarty and Nick Tompkins. Alo spent two seasons with Worcester before dropping into the Championship for a season with Coventry, with that spell leading to a contract with Wasps initially as injury cover back in 2019.

It is a move which has worked out for all parties, and with Kyle Sinckler out of this summer's tour to Australia there is an opening for Alo to end up on the plane.

Right to highlight his great tackle on Chessum who must have thought he was in the clear. A real try saver.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Biyi in The Telegraph.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 10:35:31 AM »
Love this:

Biyi’s personality is infectious, I can’t do anything other than smile when I see him, he’s a great character.

I said in another thread a while ago that I didn’t think Biyi would work for Eddie because of his conditioning (even if vastly improved since last season).

Great for him though to be involved and have a sniff.  Given lots of props hit their peak around now until 33-35, hopefully it provides a decent incentive for him to keep making progress.

I’m sure both Koch and Ryan will be big influences on the likes of Biyi (and hopefully more so Millar-Mills!) in helping them kick on.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 11:28:51 AM »
Love this:

Biyi’s personality is infectious, I can’t do anything other than smile when I see him, he’s a great character.

I said in another thread a while ago that I didn’t think Biyi would work for Eddie because of his conditioning (even if vastly improved since last season).

Great for him though to be involved and have a sniff.  Given lots of props hit their peak around now until 33-35, hopefully it provides a decent incentive for him to keep making progress.

I’m sure both Koch and Ryan will be big influences on the likes of Biyi (and hopefully more so Millar-Mills!) in helping them kick on.
I really happy for him that he’s in the training camp. My big fear is that Eddie tells him he’s not fit enough and Biyi comes back, over trains and himself some damage.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 08:06:06 PM »
Yes, he’s obviously got everything in a good balance at the moment which is translating into his brilliant form - just needs to carry on with what he’s doing.