Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lancaster and Gatland possible options to replace Eddie Jones  (Read 5401 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Lancaster and Gatland possible options to replace Eddie Jones
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:19:37 AM »

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/04/warren-gatland-candidate-succeed-eddie-jones-england-coach

I just can't see how Lancaster has a way back with the England team.
As soon as we were to lose a couple of games, the knives would be out.

I'd have also thought that Gatland would like a shot at the all blacks job. You'd think that he already has a plan in his head

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lancaster and Gatland possible options to replace Eddie Jones
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:39:05 AM »
I can't say I'd be thrilled by either of them...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:03:36 AM »
The problem is that there's a very small list of candidates... Particularly if you want an English head coach.

If you look in the league, McCall and Baxter are the standout options, however there's often criticism over Baxter's style with Exeter, plus he's not had experience of anywhere other than Chiefs.

Although I'm sure it'd be tempting, there's no guarantee that McCall would be interested in the England job. Good CV is better than Baxter's and we've seen Saracens style evolve under him. He's probably the best option from the premiership.

Last season there were calls for Dean Richards to get the job... Just a few months later, I'm not hearing those calls any more.

I'm not really sure who that leaves of you're looking for someone English, or at the very least has been a head coach in England.

Dai seemingly closed the door on the Wales job by signing a new Wasps contract so I can't see him being too interested in the England job.

I thought that when Eddie took over, he brought in English coaches because part of his remit was to identify and mentor the next English head coach.
Steve Borthwick?

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:15:28 AM »
Haven't all the English England coaches been quitting?

Gatland may have been leapfrogged in the All Black running by Schmidt.

Lancaster I think still has to prove himself. Yes he seems to be doing well at Leinster but it's not like he's turned a struggling team around. He's taken one of the most successful and wealthy teams in Europe and... helped keep them successful.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
Gustard- an ex-Sarrie tick. Been part of the England setup tick. Gone out to coach a premiership club tick.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »
Why Shaun Edwards has been consistently ignored in any position by the RFU is criminal. It must be something to do with the flat cap and the whippet.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »
Dai seemingly closed the door on the Wales job by signing a new Wasps contract so I can't see him being too interested in the England job.

I remember an interview with Dai where he said he definitely wants to coach internationally, and when asked if that meant Wales he replied "not necessarily".  So I don't think he's closed the door on anyone else.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 09:49:24 AM »
Haven't all the English England coaches been quitting?

Gatland may have been leapfrogged in the All Black running by Schmidt.

Lancaster I think still has to prove himself. Yes he seems to be doing well at Leinster but it's not like he's turned a struggling team around. He's taken one of the most successful and wealthy teams in Europe and... helped keep them successful.

Actually Leinster were struggling a fair bit before Lancaster turned up. They were still Leinster, but well off from their performances now.

Most coaches don't have any international experience, which I think should rule them out the top job.

Lancaster could still be a decent choice I reckon. He completely screwed up the RWC, but having got that cutting edge experience, with a solid catalogue of work before that, we cut him. If you're going to give an international newbie the top job, you have to let them have screw ups in completely new circumstances.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »
It's an interesting one.  Lancaster has shown he can definitely coach, but there was clearly something amiss during his tenure with England.  I doubt it would go down well with the general rugby supporting public if he was given the job, the feeling seems to be he was a disaster even though the figures don't really show that.

That's assuming he'd even want it.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »
I agree with not cutting coaches, like players, after a mistake. They can't learn from their mistakes if they're sacked and you're in danger of repeatedly hiring newbies who keep making the same mistakes. But Lancaster made such a huuuuuggggggggeeeeee mistake. It was so bad. Knocked out in first round at home. Ugh.

I was kind of hoping the autumn internationals would go so bad that EJ would be sacked. Then Baxter (or A.N. Other) is given the job with the idea that he has a 6 nations and a world cup to learn from before having a really good run at the 2023 world cup. The best way to learn how to manage a team at a world cup is to manage a team at a world cup.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 06:26:27 PM »
I await the recall of Slammin' Sam with bated breath
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »

Have you not read the article?
It wasn't Sam's fault. He added something.
It wasn't the coaches fault either.

It was an ego issue that caused us to be rubbish

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 07:44:33 PM »
Nah, it was the coaches.

I blame Rowntree and Lancaster. They completely screwed up the conditioning of the forwards. I doubt we'd have won the world cup, but we'd at least have made the knockouts if our forwards still had any grunt.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 10:06:27 PM »

Not sure if you're saying that tongue in cheek.. being facetious but if there was an ego, attitude problem within the squad it was most likely caused by the bizarre last minute change of selection policy.. even then.. that's something experienced coaches should be able to quell and turnaround. Lancaster is supposedly a very good coach but his lack of experience being the head honcho probably caught up with in in the 6 months before the WC

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 06:21:01 AM »

Not sure if you're saying that tongue in cheek.. being facetious but if there was an ego, attitude problem within the squad it was most likely caused by the bizarre last minute change of selection policy.. even then.. that's something experienced coaches should be able to quell and turnaround. Lancaster is supposedly a very good coach but his lack of experience being the head honcho probably caught up with in in the 6 months before the WC

He's referring to an interview with Burgess where he blamed both England's and his own failures on other people's egos.