Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England selection - Ben Stokes style  (Read 1167 times)

hopwood

England selection - Ben Stokes style
« on: June 25, 2022, 05:50:09 PM »
It’s been absolutely fascinating (certainly as a psychologist) watching the new era unfold in English cricket.
Mostly the same players that featured in ‘1 Test win in 17 attempts’…then dismantle the Number 1 cricket nation in the world.

And it’s all down to a culture of freedom.
Freedom to play your natural game (after tens of thousands of hours of practice and skill building).
Freedom to express yourself.
Freedom to put the pressure back on the opposition.
Freedom, in the changing room, to look each other in the eye and be at peace with any performance, no matter the outcome.

That philosophy creates an amazing environment where players have the opportunity to exceed their own beliefs about their potential. To go to a place they haven’t been before. A place they didn’t even know existed.

The one aspect I find really fascinating is that Ben Stokes has looked around the leagues, at players he’s played with and against…and has personally called them into the squad.
Potts and Overton…wow. Straight in to international cricket…and ducks to water, performing at the elite level.

And then he sticks with the likes of Pope, Leach, Bairstow etc.
All guys who were at the end of fans’ frustrations at times.

My overall point being…isn’t there an opportunity for the England rugby/ England football captain to have a primary role in team selection?
Stokes was the right choice at captain.
And his personal selections (from how he sees the game) have revitalised this England cricket team.

Great to watch.
Let’s hand more responsibility to the key players, that are amongst it, week in, week out.

hopwood

Re: England selection - Ben Stokes style
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 05:53:38 PM »
And English cricket is showing that you don’t have to train with the elite squad for a number of years before being given an opportunity to play.

Which goes against ‘the Eddie Jones method’ of selection.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 07:15:27 PM »

We've already had that exact kind of bounce with England rugby when Eddie took over.

Looking at the score card of England's first innings in this test, I'd be hesitant before calling all problems solved.

That being said, I agree whole heartedly with the premise of the post.
I'd expect to get much better performances from players who are happy, playing with freedom and without fear of failure.
However, as always, there's a delicate balance with losing that fear of failure. It becomes very easy to continue picking "favourites", as we see in the England rugby squad

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 12:10:50 PM »
O.T.   James Gaskell names his rugby dream team in  the R.T.  It's a cracker with 10 present/ex Wasps.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 12:23:37 PM »
I would not draw too many comparisons between the two, and certainly would not equate captaincy in rugby with cricket. Soccer, yes. Cricket no. That said fear of failure is a killer, and England rugby and cricket have had both I spades for two years.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 12:27:05 PM »
Not too sure about the captain being involved in selection in rugby. But completely agree about the environment Jones has created. His two huge issues are that and selection. He’s getting both wrong and the displays reflect it.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 01:40:15 PM »
O.T.   James Gaskell names his rugby dream team in  the R.T.  It's a cracker with 10 present/ex Wasps.
What a tease …

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 08:25:07 PM »
What a tease …

Found the team chosen here, not got the explanation that goes with it in the full article

https://twitter.com/SaleRugbyNews/status/1540989738508763136?t=YKA9ebiLNxd60Qm01b7hgg&s=19

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 10:40:04 PM »
So sorry I couldn't add details about players or reasons, but some clever person might I hope. Apologies.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 11:16:51 PM »
I'm surprised at Le Roux on the wing. Gaskell will have played with Cueto at Sale who I think I'd prefer at wing.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 07:17:01 AM »
Plus 1.  Maybe they were friends.     :)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 11:15:48 AM »
Here's the Gaskell Team Breakdown

1. Andrew Sheridan – ‘Big Ted’ is a real physical freak who smashed all sorts of lifting records, as well as opposition defences with his immense ball-carrying. Only knew one way – forward. Pretty decent on the guitar too!

2. Tommy Taylor – Had the pleasure of playing with him at Sale and Wasps. A great player in the tight and the loose. You won’t find many much grittier players.

3. Vadim Cobilas – Unbelievably skilful for a tighthead. I doubt few other Dream Teams have a Moldovan in their ranks!

4. Joe Launchbury – Great leader, great rugby player, great bloke. He’s not one to bawl and shout but when he does speak, everyone listens because he commands so much respect. Have taken so much from playing alongside him. 5. Dean Schofield – Would be a good foil for Launchers. He looked after me from day one at Sale and I’ve got huge respect for the big man. Knows how to enjoy himself.

6. Juan Fernandez Lobbe – We had some quality overseas players at Sale but few to match Juan, who’s a man you’d follow in any situation. Had a serious work ethic and drove others to raise their standards.

7. George Smith – One of the GOATs. Brilliant to have in your team with the work he got through at the breakdown and as a link player.

8. Andy Powell – Could single-handedly win a game. Such a talisman with his strong ball carries and big hits. Had many a story to keep the lads entertained as I’m sure you can imagine.

9. Dan Robson – He’s just very good at rugby, it’s as simple as that. Has the pass, the break, the acceleration, the game understanding. Should have had a lot more England caps by my reckoning.

10. Charlie Hodgson – Would love to see him outside of Dan. One of the alltime Sale greats and a great role model for me when I was first starting out with his professionalism on and off the pitch.

11. Christian Wade – Feet like no other and scorer of some outrageous tries. The Premiership would be all the more entertaining for him being back in the competition if he does decide to return to rugby in England.

12. Jimmy Gopperth – He’s 38 years of age yet is still producing it on the pitch and earning new contracts. A top, top bloke too. Leicester have got a good one.

13. Malakai Fekitoa – I’m just glad he was on the same team as me! When the eyes went you knew someone was in trouble. Ferocious in attack and defence.

14. Willie Le Roux – Classy runner who could find a hole in any defence with his pace and footwork.

15. Charles Piutau – Spent a brief period with him at Wasps and was just in awe of his skills. You never stood a chance against him in open space.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 02:04:37 PM »
Though Andy buggy Powell had played for Wasps I think Gasks was including him for time at Sale?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 02:09:50 PM »
Powell left us in 2011, and then went to Sale for a couple of years.  Gaskell joined us in 2014 after 6 years at Sale, so yes, team mates at Sale, not at Wasps.

Wonder if he makes Tim Payne's Dream Team? :)