Always a Wasp

Author Topic: State Schools Ban?  (Read 1704 times)

Temeura

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: State Schools Ban?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2022, 11:52:07 AM »
You definitely need qualified coaches, otherwise it would be massively unsafe.

As you say, most schools do not have qualified coaches which is why there needs to be links between schools and local clubs. With my daughter's school, we (the local club) are offering to help out with coaches if required.

You can do a course to learn the basics of introducing contact over a couple of evenings and there are lots of evening courses to learn the basics. The entry level proper coaching award is the England Rugby Coaching Award which takes 7/8 months to complete.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2022, 09:35:35 PM »
The problem for me is there will always be a tipping point when players have to tackle as the game is not going away. So is it better to train good technique from the start and practice it from the start or expect it to fall in to place further down the line. I worry it might lead to more serious injuries in the long run if the transition comes later. I do agree with Ross that with whole front rows etc being available on 50-60 minutes there is no way size and therefore impacts are going to reduce. Maybe keeping 8 on the bench to ensure a “whole” game can be played at scrum time etc but limit the amount that can be used to 5 with the rest just being available to cover injury?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2022, 10:45:28 AM »
The problem for me is there will always be a tipping point when players have to tackle as the game is not going away. So is it better to train good technique from the start and practice it from the start or expect it to fall in to place further down the line. I worry it might lead to more serious injuries in the long run if the transition comes later. I do agree with Ross that with whole front rows etc being available on 50-60 minutes there is no way size and therefore impacts are going to reduce. Maybe keeping 8 on the bench to ensure a “whole” game can be played at scrum time etc but limit the amount that can be used to 5 with the rest just being available to cover injury?

Sounds good in principle but who is going to decide if someone is really Injured? Some will be obvious but like H I A open to a degree of interpretation. Maybe a maximum of 5 in total.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2022, 11:54:27 AM »

Sounds good in principle but who is going to decide if someone is really Injured? Some will be obvious but like H I A open to a degree of interpretation. Maybe a maximum of 5 in total.

Enforce a 2 week rest period for players that are subbed because of injury? If a coach is saying that a player is so injured they can't possibly finish the game then the player needs time to recover.

No use in the playoff final but could be enough of a deterrent most of the time.