Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Weekend games 3 (the deciders) - Spoilers!  (Read 2713 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend games 3 (the deciders) - Spoilers!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2022, 08:19:06 PM »
They will have taken it at the start but should have won match 1.
Wales and England a class below Ire and Fra,but I am not sure  NZ are far behind. The Boks are very beatable, they always are. It's just that they win a lot in matches where they look vulnerable, a good trait to have but sooner or later they will get their just deserts.

Shame the next WC is seeded the way it is.

While I am not a fan of this "bomb squad" stuff there is no doubt the SA bench across all areas is superior to any other in terms of the quality, power and impact they have so as long as they are in touch they will always be in the game the longer it goes on.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2022, 08:58:52 PM »
I also think the World Cup format favours their strengths.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2022, 10:00:17 PM »
Speaking of the Rugby World Cup, Chile have beaten the USA 52-51 on aggregate to qualify as Americas 2 and will be in England's pool. At one point Chile were 19-0 down (20 on aggregate).

USA go into the playoff for the last spot where they'll face Portugal, Kenya and the loser of Tonga v Hong Kong, which takes place next Saturday. Its expected to be held in the November test window.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:02:40 PM by MarleyWasp »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2022, 09:28:08 AM »
They will have taken it at the start but should have won match 1.
Wales and England a class below Ire and Fra,but I am not sure  NZ are far behind. The Boks are very beatable, they always are. It's just that they win a lot in matches where they look vulnerable, a good trait to have but sooner or later they will get their just deserts.

Shame the next WC is seeded the way it is.

While I am not a fan of this "bomb squad" stuff there is no doubt the SA bench across all areas is superior to any other in terms of the quality, power and impact they have so as long as they are in touch they will always be in the game the longer it goes on.

I think their is a danger of this 'bomb squad' turning into the All Blacks.
Sir Clive famously made England refer to New Zealand rather than 'All Blacks' (a term he happily uses as a pundit). We talk of the bomb squad but really it is a 6/2 bench with a very decent front row on it. I don't think their second row resources are that different to ours. That said, these front row guys are not infalable- it was Koch who knocked on last week to end the game, whilst I recall England beating a SA team at HQ that totally outplayed it, mainly because Marx's throwing was so bad it could have been Groucho's. If teams expect to be beaten up by the bomb squad it will happen. Eddie talks about finishers all the time, but the role of the bench is the same as it was twenty years ago at professional level.

SA certainly do have the skills to win the WC, but I they find themselves 20 down vs Ireland, NZ or France they won't be able to stick to their game.
If refs tend towards Karl Dixon's approach, where teams are often told to use it after the front rows are down with ball available and there is a reluctance to award a penalty at scrum time, then SA may struggle. Their game may well be suited to a a wet autumn up here.
Personally I think it would be good for the game if we move away from scrum pens- they should be a rarity.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2022, 10:35:49 AM »
Personally I think it would be good for the game if we move away from scrum pens- they should be a rarity.

Couldn't agree more with you, www.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2022, 11:06:48 AM »

Big +2
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2022, 11:16:07 AM »

Big +2

Definately!

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2022, 11:28:50 AM »
Massive +4 from me regarding scrum pens. Scrums were always a way to simply restart the game. You look at a game from the 90s and although it looks a bit messy compared to today’s version it was certainly far quicker and far more effective saving time and continuing momentum.

Bring back that and bring back shoeing, stop players flying into the ruck and we will have a better game.

hopwood

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2022, 06:48:33 PM »
Speaking of the Rugby World Cup, Chile have beaten the USA 52-51 on aggregate to qualify as Americas 2 and will be in England's pool. At one point Chile were 19-0 down (20 on aggregate).

USA go into the playoff for the last spot where they'll face Portugal, Kenya and the loser of Tonga v Hong Kong, which takes place next Saturday. Its expected to be held in the November test window.

Our very own Craig White went over to Chile for a month to help prepare the guys mentally and spiritually.
To get them truly bonded as a team.
And they pulled off a truly fantastic result over two legs. Outstanding.

You may seem to remember Craig spent time with Uruguay in 2019 prior to their shock victory over Fiji in the World Cup.

Outside his mentoring, Craig runs amazing retreats called Men Without Masks.
Highly recommended.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2022, 07:19:31 PM »
Not a surprise. I gather Pablo Lemoine, the ex-Uruguay player and coach who is now in charge of Chile, spent time with the Uruguay coach getting some tips.

Whilst this is a great result for the game in South America, it is a bit of a disaster for the USA and World Rugby, given the USA are hosting the Rugby World Cup in 2031. Portugal may have lost their three summer tests, but they were very much still in the contest until conceding late scores in all three games and had a pass found its man rather than being intercepted against Japan could have beaten them last November. There's a very real chance of no North American side being in France at all.

I would expect an increase to 24 sides by 2027, and would say that there is the level of competition to support an expansion. It just remains to be seen if it'll be a four pools of six or six pools of four format. Four pools of six is my preferred option, as it would increase the number of competitive pool matches and be easier to structure in terms of making sure teams have equal rest days. Six pools of four would mean fewer competitive pool matches and would be more predictable.

Ultimately what will be the key factor is number of matches as it costs to stage each event. Four pools of six would mean a minimum of 68 matches (84 if you have a bowl (third and fourth placed sides) and plays (fifth and sixth placed sides)), where as six pools of four would mean a minimum of 52 matches (this would require a round of 16 between the pools and the quarter finals) (64 if you have a bowl (sides that lose in the last 16) and plate).

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2022, 08:14:30 PM »
stop players flying into the ruck and we will have a better game.

This is a big + 1 for me, it’s the one thing that needs sorting in the game. It’s so dangerous and the one thing that will give players issues in the future

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2022, 09:34:24 PM »
Andrew Porter: Ireland prop cited for high tackle

From the Beeb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/62213644
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2022, 12:02:36 PM »
Traditional start to the thread of another Tonga loss, this time to Aus A 39-22, seeming to be keeping some their stars back for their world Cup qualifier against Hong Kong in the next couple of weeks.

Should be an interesting Saturday for the home nations....

Tonga win! Beat Hong Kong 44 - 22 to qualify for the World Cup and join Ireland, South Africa, Scotland and Romania. Hong Kong to final play off with US, Kenya and Portugal.