Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Concussion Lawsuit launched today.  (Read 2039 times)

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Concussion Lawsuit launched today.
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2022, 12:12:17 PM »
Following on from LWasp's comment, I recall that when I applied to the Motor Sports Association for a racing licence, I had to sign any number of disclaimers exhonerating both the MSA and the race meeting organisers from any liability whatsoever. I signed all of them in the full knowledge that any injury I suffered was down to me and my talent - or rather lack of it.

I think those disclaimers become pretty worthless if the injured party can show negligence on part of the organisers.
For example, if you drove too fast into a corner, spun, hit the wall, and broke your arm - that's your fault. However, if in an earlier race a car had spilled oil on that corner and the race organisers had done nothing to clear to otherwise mitigate the slippery conditions, then you would have a case despite the disclaimer.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2022, 12:28:28 PM »
TBT,
That's quite true but, in the scenario you mention, the track marshals hang out oil-warning flags and, after that race would clear it up before the next one. There were indeed lots of safety measures in place. Alas, they didn't stop me destroying my car against the pit wall at Silverstone!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2022, 12:47:21 PM »
TBT,
That's quite true but, in the scenario you mention, the track marshals hang out oil-warning flags and, after that race would clear it up before the next one. There were indeed lots of safety measures in place. Alas, they didn't stop me destroying my car against the pit wall at Silverstone!

That sounds exciting! I hope you got out unscathed!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2022, 02:10:04 PM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 02:48:05 PM »
TBT,
Not quite. Dislocated collar bone and damaged shoulder caused by the onboard fire extinguisher popping out of its mounting and flying around the cockpit! Oh, and a shellacking from my wife!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 03:08:12 PM »
Interesting Steve Thompson and Mark Cueto comments  -

Thompson is an interesting case study, one I assume the defence lawyers will target heavily. He did, after all, medically retire from the sport and then pay back his insurance money when other experts told him he could keep on playing. It is sadly the case that at some point as grown men you have to take responsibility for your own choices.

Agreed.
I was a second opinion on his retirement, and I was more than a little surprised reviewing the radiological and medical records.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2022, 10:08:27 PM »
David Walsh has written a heartbreaking article about the Scotland Women's player Siobhan Cattigan, who died last year. It's too long to cut and paste here, but can be read here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/they-fixed-siobhan-s-broken-bones-but-turned-their-back-on-her-broken-brain-n668rkwlt?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1659202251

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2022, 03:33:34 PM »
It beggars belief that the game's authorities haven't acted quickly and sensibly when it comes to injuries which are either career or life-threatening.

If this were somerthing like the aviation industry they would find out what's causing the damage, work out how to minimise the damage and then act upon it. If they couldn't, they would take steps to eradicate it.

It's appalling.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2022, 02:52:26 PM »
Is this largely a problem for rugby Union? I ask as one of the Welsh guys involved played both codes. Are there thing we can learn from League? They certainly have big impact tackles by several players but no mauls and scrums are just a way of play re-starting.